Confession time about Celeste

If I get really brave I may try it on my blank Miracle kit so I can have sleeping and peeky eyed twins.

3 Likes

@marion How did you get the eyelids so smooth? Did you cut with the vinyl warmed at all? Did you just use and x-acto??? I am full of questions, huh? You did a stunning job!

2 Likes

I used the extra sharp exacto blades. A brand new one. No I did not warm the vinly. I used a file to smooth the edge and then ran a qtip dipped in 91% alcohol over the edge. I think warming the vinyl may make it harder to control what the blade is doing but that is just my thought.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing your tips, Marion. We are all terrified and excited here. You have begun a trend!

1 Like

Did you stuff the head with anything to keep it firm while cutting? I was thinking of a chunk of Styrofoam or something like that.

No nothing. The eyelids are quite thick so they stay pretty firm. It was actually a friend of mineā€™s idea but she opened hers a bit more than I did. I wanted mine to be peeky eyed.

1 Like

Well, yours looks absolutely perfect. As if it had been sculpted that way from the beginning!

4 Likes

Thank you, Marion, for allowing me to post you fabulous baby! :heart: I was hoping you wouldnā€™t mind.

(((HUGS)))

Karen

2 Likes

Iā€™ve seen this done before and have run across a tutorial but it went into depth about adding sculpy to the edge of the lid and I just didnā€™t want to get into the sculpy. Your eyes, Marion, show that it can be a simple process. Thanks for sharing! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Maybe I could make her an alien or a zombie! I have so wanted to do a sombie but hated to ruin a kit but since you already did it for me! Would you be willing to sell to me cheap so I can experiment on her too?

1 Like

Debora, Iā€™m just going to use her for a test head. I really needed one so for now sheā€™s staying here. So sorry.

1 Like

@honojane
I once read about a technique to avoid cutting or splitting vinyl too far. It used a tiny drill bit in a hand operated drill like the one sold by BB. You make a tiny hole at each end of a cut you want to make before using the exacto. It finishes off the cut for you and gives more control over where the ends will be. Just thought Iā€™d share in case it might help. Good luck and Iā€™m sorry about the first head.

3 Likes

A drill would make a rounded hole vs a flat slit so you would need to do some filing to smooth that out.

1 Like

The bit Iā€™m referring to is really small, only 1/32". I was thinking it was tiny enough to avoid creating too much of a rounded edge, but perhaps Iā€™m wrong. Itā€™s not much thicker than an exacto blade and since you are removing a wedge I thought it might work but I have not tried it. Here is a pic from the BB site:
http://pictures.bountifulbaby.com/inventory/images/drillbitssmall.jpg

1 Like

that might be a good thing to try. Iā€™ll think about it.

What do you prime it with?

I think some ladies are gluing them in with a piece of felt to back it up, gluing the felt to the head to support the eye.

2 Likes

LOL! I was wondering who Bob was!

4 Likes

Me tooā€¦hahahahaha!

3 Likes