How to Open Eyes on Kit?

So for those of you who have opened eyes on close eye kits, how did you go about it? I am so scared I will mess it up completely :neutral_face:, and ruin my kit, so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

3 Likes

@AmyR777, @anon72659292, @Miss_Kitty

3 Likes

Here’s where a bunch of us opened the eyes on Celeste:

3 Likes

I saw that a while back, but I forgot, and it didn’t come up when I searched for “opening eyes”. Thanks!

1 Like

I opened up Caleb’s eyes. I just grabbed an xacto knife and cut the slit horizontally. Because he is so small, I actually ended up cutting a razor blade in half to fit. Warm up the head first and do it at an angle. Mine is uneven cuz I was using a full-sized blade and chopped into the upper lid.

Caleb next to Jasper

3 Likes

Lololololololol

4 Likes

A fresh blade is key. Warming the head may make the vinyl too flimsy and easy to make an “oops” cut.

1 Like

Awesome, thanks everyone!!

1 Like

I opened the eyes on my Celeste, but I don’t think I would do it again. It’s a chore getting the eyes in, and the edges never have that smoothness that the open eyed kits have. That said, some other people did lovely jobs on theirs, much better than I did on mine.

2 Likes

I don’t know that I would ever be brave enough to try opening closed eyes. Everyone who opened Celeste’s eyes did a great job and the peeky eyed Celestes were so cute.

2 Likes

Very cute! What did you use to glue them, or to hold them as the glue dried?

1 Like

I was wondering the same thing! I would love to get another “Megan” kit from BB but I would like to have her eyes open. I might give this a try soon!

3 Likes

I opened them on my Celeste boy… Just make sure you have a very sharp blade in your knife, follow natural folds if they are there. Be really careful with the exacto blade though…make sure the blade is fully where you want it or you will be cutting one part with the tip and the wide apart maybe working elsewhere…lol You may have to shave some of the extra vinyl out of the inside as well to make sure that the eyes sit flush otherwise they will be too deep and your eye rims will be too thick…You can smooth the edges of the vinyl with a fine file or some used acetone polish remover though I haven’t tried that…It is a bit of an ordeal but they are cute when done…Like Susan mentioned…putting the eyes in without sockets is the most annoying part…You can use the wax they use to set porcelain doll eyes to hold them in place…while you get your glue on…I used E6000…did several layers letting it dry between layers and once it is dried, apply either felt or the Dr Scholls patches over them… :smile:

7 Likes