Confession time about Celeste

Okay, it’s confession time. I ruined my Celeste head trying to open the eyes. I felt so bad I couldn’t even say anything to you all. I cut the socket too wide and it was uncorrectable except by adding sculpey and I don’t trust a repair like that to stay put. So, after panicing wildly I wrote to BB and found out they had a few Celeste heads for sale. Hurray! All’s well now, but do you think I should be brave and try again? Or should I just keep her as a sleeper? I don’t like to be scared to try things. But if I ruin another one the challenge is all over for me.

5 Likes

Oh no! Leave her sleeping lol

3 Likes

I’m glad you fessed up. Sorry that it didn’t work out for you. :cry: I was considering trying to open the eyes, even knowing that it compromises the vinyl, but now am not. I’m glad you were able to get another head. I can’t tell you what to do, but I will stay with my first instinct and not open the eyes. Maybe someday I’ll try it out on a practice head and see what happens.

1 Like

Helen, I think you should leave her with closed eyes since you are doing a challenge. Maybe if you like the way she comes out you can get another one and try the eye thing again, who knows you just may create a masterpiece. Good Luck on the challenge.

but i love how they look with the little squinty eyes…boo hoo… :cry:

3 Likes

I know, me too. I love squishy faces.

1 Like

If you have some other “sleeping” heads that you can practice on, I’d do that. I wouldn’t open the eyes on an important kit like this one until you’ve had some practice time. I’m sorry the eyes were ruined on the first one. :disappointed_relieved:

2 Likes

Oh Helen… so sorry about your first Celeste, but I’m so very happy for you that BB had some spare heads… onward into the challenge! I too love how she looks with those squinty eyes, but I’m a big chicken at heart and would never attempt to open any kits eyes…I commend you on your bravery. Elise by Cassie Brace has adorable eyes… maybe a pre-order for me in the near future :slight_smile:

I was so close to getting them right and then i went too far. That is my biggest artistic challenge; stopping when it’s good enough and trying to go for perfect. I always swing too far in the opposite direction,I cannot tell you how many watercolors I have ruined that way. After I ruined her a little bit (lol) I tried to fix it by making her Asian and now she looks like an alien hybrid. i really want the open eyes though. I really, really, do. I think I have to try again. If I fail, at least I have a set of really cute limbs and some practice heads. But I’d be out of the Challenge. If this was most other babies I’d just go for it, but this is Celeste. Oh dear!

3 Likes

Let us know how it goes, Helen. :grimacing:

2 Likes

I’d try a Sculpey repair and back it with Dr. Scholl’s moleskin for added stability, and either keep it or sell it as a boo boo baby. If you don’t want to do that, would you sell it to me so I can try it?

1 Like

Not a bad idea jeanhai. If I ever want to look at it again I may play with it a bit, but right now she’s hiding on the shelf with my messed up Tibby leg from a few months back.

1 Like

I think you were very adventurous and brave to cut the eyes and if you think you know exactly where they should be cut now, go for it. If you aren’t quite sure, then just do the closed eye. Good luck either way. :smile:

Thanks for the support ABC1234. It’s difficult to make the knife mind. I’m going to heat the vinyl this time I think. And I’m going to pay attention to the adage “less is more.”

2 Likes

I think you should try again if you have your heart set on opening the eyes. Bet Celeste would look even more adorable that way. Please let us know how it works out. I’d love to see some pix when you finish her!!

If it works, you will see them…IN THE CHALLENGE!! (evil laugh :imp:)

8 Likes

Hehehe!! :stuck_out_tongue:

You can buy two Celeste heads and try one again :slight_smile:

I just cannot see how it would be possible to cut eyes open and make it look right.
Does anybody have photos of doll they done it to?

There was a photo on here of Celeste with slitted eyes and it looked amazing. That’s why I’m trying so hard to do it. The kit looks much better awake because she loses the tongue out, sick look and just looks like she’s dropped her bottle.

2 Likes