Too dolly help

I’m close to giving up on Chanel, I just can’t get her right, her limbs are looking great but the head is just too dolly for my liking, I can’t get the lip colour right either urgh!! Any advice?

3 Likes

I’m far from being an expert, I’ve not even done my first yet, but she looks good to me. Love her veining

2 Likes

I struggled with my channel too, I painted her twice only because a customer saw the one I did and asked for another. Here are my 2 I shaded a bit more around her nose, and I took a small piece of sea sponge that had little raggedy pieces sticking out and brushed on a slightly deeper red than I had been using, and barely touched it onto some areas like her cheeks, forehead. Lightly touch the vinyl with the painted sponge and then immediately soften it with a fluffy blender brush until you like it. I worked in very small areas at a time adding more only as needed so it first didn’t dry too fast on me second so I didn’t overdo it. Use that color to darken where her lips meet too. Not sure if that was helpful for you but just so you know you are on the right track she is coming along beautifully. Here are a couple of pics to show you what I did.

9 Likes

Thank you, it doesn’t help that I don’t even know how I want her to turn out, I have no vision for her, poor thing :joy: what sort of colour did you use between the lips? I definitely will never do another of these kits lol

1 Like

I actually hate her veining and have been trying to soften it more but dam things stay there :joy:

You can darken it by adding a hint of brown and blue. I added a burnt umber wash to my second one to liven her skin up a bit. I also did red, blue and purple teeny tiny capillaries on her cheeks and chin

1 Like

Thank you I will try that x

1 Like

Have fun if you can she is a problem child. Here is a close up of one cheek of the first one I painted.

8 Likes

I love that skin tone you have on her :heart_eyes:

1 Like

You need to keep in mind that some real babies are so beautiful they look “dolly.” I’ve often commented on someone’s baby that they look like a doll, and it was a compliment. I love Chanel’s face structure. She is a beautiful baby and yours is done really well.

5 Likes

Yes I have said that about real babies too, I guess I’m just struggling cause she is only my second and my first opened eye kit & it doesn’t help that she has no eyes yet lol, I will just persevere with her & if all else fails I can put her in the garden to keep the cats away :joy:

That made me laugh! :joy: dont put the poor thing in the garden, you will get there in the end :grin::joy:

I think she look great, I would not add anything ! Lips are perfect ! With eyes and lashes she will look less dolly.

You could try blue shading and a little bit of spotting us with the blushing. You can also position her eyes so that they don’t stay or straightforward. She’s one of those babies that’s pretty more than realistic, so unfortunately if you want to up the realism you got to take some of the pretty away

Maybe if you are able to choose her hair color and eye color, you’ll have a better idea of how you want the skin tones.

Oh! And mommarobin just posted Chanel in the work in progress post.

She’s adorable! I would add pink rubbed around the top and bottom rims of her lids. That adds more “infant” to me.

Nothing wrong with looking dolly. She is beautiful! She is just a very dolly looking sculpt

I think you are doing great! I think what is through you off it’s that bubblegum pink color that make her looks like porcelain doll. Use blood red for her blushing (I would apply it with a mottling sponge and then blend it with a dry brush) and lips and do what @PutABonnetOnIt already recommended. When you add eyes and eyebrows, eyelids capillaries - her face would make much more sense to you.
She is a dolly looking sculpt, but it’s fun to do it as a challenge, and I learned that some people drawn to a dolly looking sculpts like that.

Good luck!

2 Likes

Yikes I’m a bit scared to put blood red on her but I do agree I hate the pinkness of her cheeks, I have managed to get her lips darker and put red on her eyeliners x

1 Like