Pink felting pen

So are you! Lol

1 Like

Iā€™m rouoing a head right now with fine hair. I am using the pink pen, but this head seems to never be done! I put a 3rd needle into my pink pen yesterday. With that maybe I can get this thing done soon. I have put in over 20 hours, and still have the whole back of the head to do. Iā€™m getting tired of it, but trying to do a good job!

3 Likes

Luvbabyā€¦I totally understand how youā€™re feeling. Iā€™m new to reborning and have two babies that Iā€™m rooting. I started the first one using blonde Delta Dawn mohair. At the time I was using the mushroom tool and found that the blonde hair was hard to see to root. I decided to put that baby aside after a week of trying to root her. I started rooting my second baby but this time with Delta Dawn med brown and found that was so much easier to see. Butā€¦I found that rooting was going so slow and I was also having problems with either picking up too many strands of mohair at a time or not picking up any and making a bunch of blank holes. A week ago Sunday my 13 yr old yellow lab went into seizures and had to be put down. I didnā€™t do any rooting after that for almost a week because I was so upset about Codyā€™s passing. I decided during that time that I had to try other rooting options and then I read here about the ā€œpink penā€. I figured it was worth a try so I ordered one and I also switched over to a 42g crown needleā€¦up until now I had been using a 40g. Last night I tried the pen and the smaller gage needle and loved it. Between both of the babies I figure that Iā€™ve already put in over 20 hours of rooting and still have a long way to go. I think Iā€™ll add another needle to the pen and see how that goes. Please let me know if using a 3rd needle made much of a difference in how quickly the rooting is going.

2 Likes

I have the pink pin, I use one needle for the hair line and then I use three needles to fill the hair in unless I want to practice micro- rooting (use one needle for this). When I use three needle at one time I can get one head for 20 inch baby or smaller completely finished in 6-8 hours. It is a bit tricky rooting with three needles at one time

Thanks so much Rnd210! When using multiple needles in the pen how do you make sure that all the barbs line up to pick up hair?

I just play around with it until I get the right the spot that gets hair in with all three needles and then do my best to keep holding the pin that way.

1 Like

Rnd201ā€¦Iā€™m on my way upstairs right now to do more rooting and will try multiple needles. Thanks for your help!!!

1 Like

Hi, Jackie. i just spent another 3 hours working on my baby. I think maybe the 3rd needle did help - I am using size 40 crown needles. I think your 40 needle might not have been a crown needle - I discovered that crown needles have one notch on each of their 3 sides where the regular felting needles have 3 notches on each side, therefore pushing lots more hairs into each hole. I am using a light auburn color, so plugs are hardly visible. I made some progress today, but still have another several hours to go to get this head completed. The last baby I rooted was curly blonde - I finally ordered some lighted magnifying glasses from EBay; they were dramatic in helping me to see what I was doing with the blonde hair. Someone earlier made the comment that rooting blonde hair would make you blind - I agree! Hope your new arrangement will work better for you. M y hands still ache, though, after rooting for a long time.
So sorry to hear about your dog. That is like losing a treasured family member.

You can purchase the felting pens on e-bay, I purchased mine a month ago for $4.25 plus S/H. I know it was a steal! They usually run between 10.00-15.00 Dollars plus S.H. I have not tried mine yet because I am working hard at painting hair now and loving it. I still want to do Combi Hair though.
Debbie

Oh!!! I didnā€™t know this!! Thank you so much!!
Debbie

Well I tried using 2 needles in the pink pen and got nowhere. For some reason with 2 needles it was really difficult to penetrate the vinyl and I was afraid that Iā€™d snap the needles. After about 5 minutes I decided to go back to one needle. I too bought magnifying glasses on eBay but the light on them wouldnā€™t work. I was going to send them back but they were only $15.00 and I figured that by the time I paid for postage it wouldnā€™t be worth it so I still have them in my studio. I figure Iā€™ll have one of my sons look at them and see if they can figure out what the problem is. Glad to hear that you made progress today! I wish I could say the same but I am bound and determined to get my two babies rooted no matter how long it takes!! :grin: .

Itā€™s so true our animals become a big part of our families and when they pass away its so heartbreaking. Cody was such a sweet, loving dog. We got her when she was only 5.5 weeks old. I miss her so muchā€¦Thank you for your condolencesā€¦

1 Like