PIF My turn!

Okay…it’s my turn to pay it forward. Everyone can enter by posting on this thread. Just share how you got started reborning. On Friday, August 28th I’ll put your names in a basket and draw a winner.
Example: how I got started. My granddaughter was searching the net for accessories for her Baby Alive. She saw a video about Reborns and HAD to have one. At first I told her NO they costs too much. one gazillion dollars later…she has 2 and I have a closet full of kits. :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

10 Likes

I first saw reborns on Dr. Phil. He was doing a show on people with obsessions (now I’m one of them). Anyway, as he was saying ‘They’re kind of creepy’, I was thinking ‘I’ve gotta have one of those.’ When the show was over I went to my computer and was online looking at reborns for 3 days. I ordered my first kit and I’vs been reborning ever since.

5 Likes

I saw a beautiful reborn when I was surfing the net for some needlefelting ideas. I immediately went and looked at more, thinking I might buy one. Then I realized there were kits. I had heard about vinyl dolls but I didn’t know you could make them at home and these were even more amazing than the porcelains I used to do. After that it was all over. I researched a bit, bought what i needed, put away my needlefelting unfinished, and the rest is history.

Count me in, Melanie!

6 Likes

I was sick of the factory big box store dolls. I had seen reborns a long time ago and started researching. Got all my supplies and made my kids something special for Christmas and ever since :slight_smile: now they have the cute babies I couldnt find them.

5 Likes

I first heard about them through my daughter. I researched them a bit and found out a therapy dolls also. After that, it just took off and I became an addict. LOL

6 Likes

I have always loved dolls, all my life, so in my early twenties I found a booklet about dolls that were made on top of soda bottles, and you used fur to make the curls. I made several and even made one to look like a friend that was getting married. I made the wedding dress to look like hers. My next project was making Cabbage Patch. After collecting many, many Ashton Drake dolls I was searching ebay for Ashton Drake and kept seeing the word reborn, and so the journey began. This was the days when we used the Berenguer dolls from Walmart, and acrylic paint, and wigs. The one thing I really wanted to do with this is make each of my daughters a forever baby to pass down, but somehow have never gotten around to that. I have made them each a reborn to just have, but not the forever baby yet. They’re still waiting.

5 Likes

Great topic to see how everyone became a reborn addict. By the way if you pick my name, I have already won and done a PIF, so disregard my name please. Thanks

4 Likes

I have always loved dolls and was always enamored with the lifelike baby dolls. I saved up my money in high school and bought a hospital mannequin named Amy which was made in Germany. Everyone either thought she was cool or creepy. I brought a Moses basket home from Mexico for her and made the bedding for it. I shopped at 2nd hand stores for baby clothes and dressed her up for photo shoots, trying to make her look as real as possible in the photos. I have kind of picked up my doll hobby again, in the form or reborning.

4 Likes

I’ve been collecting reborns since 2003 or 04. For years I kept saying that someday I was going to learn the art of reborning and make my own babies. The years flew by and I still thought about doing it but life kept getting in the way. Back in March of this year a wonderful lady bought a reborn that I had listed on eBay. Over the next couple of weeks we started emailing back and forth about reborn babies and how much we both loved them. One day she asked how many reborns have you made? When I told her that I had never made one but had thought about doing it for years she answered “you can’t have reborns and not make at least some of them”. A few days later the mailman delivered a box…my friend Rhonda had surprised me with a Lainey kit, body, plugs and a few other goodies for reborning. I was so thrilled and surprised. Due to finances it took me a while to get together enough supplies to start but a few weeks ago I started on Lainey and now I’m also working on Rose. I love reborning and can’t wait to make many more babies! So my friend Rhoda is the one that got me started making my own reborns!! Such a wonderful and thoughtful friend she is!

4 Likes

I make crochet baby clothes and needed a baby model so I kept finding regular cheap dolls you get at the store and my crochet clothes would not fit the doll because they were out of proportion to a real baby. One day I went on eBay and discovered reborns, I wanted to buy all kinds to have so many different looks for my models and then quickly realized that would cost a small fortune so I thought to myself what if I just make them myself :slight_smile: and so I have been and loving every minute of it :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I was looking for a hobby!!! My whole life I was surrounded with friends and family. I was out every night! I had so many people I loved all around me my entire life. Then I moved to south Texas. No friends, no family, hardly anyone that speaks my language. It’s so hot here for a Michigan girl!! So, going outside is mostly a nono. I needed something!’ I tried it all! Nothing satisfied me. Then one day searching the web for a new hobby to try… I came across reborn dolls. I had never seen or heard of this before!!! I had to try it!!! I bought a starter kit from eBay, and found a lady on eBay selling a large crate of doll making stuff! There was about 12 secrist kits in that box, plus a lot of other things. I was off to the races!! And still running! I love it!! Now I am never bored, there is always something to learn and you wonderful ladies to talk too!! It was one of the best decisions I ever made in my life to buy that starter kit!!! :heart:

8 Likes

I absolutely fell in love with the Pearl baby gorilla sculpt and ordered a painted/rooted kit from BB. I’d never seen anything so lifelike. Then I started looking at the babies and I was hooked. I love to paint and am a retired pediatric RN, so it all just sort of fell into place and I started making babies. Still love that little Pearl though!

3 Likes

The painted rooted ones are nice?? I always wondered!

1 Like

My friend and I are both retired Nursery nurses, both “forced” by our health and changes in the delivery of care for the babies. When she was getting ready to retire, I was looking for a gift for her that she might really appreciate. She has been taking care of babies since she was 19 years old, over 40 years ago! I started looking on eBay for lifelike dolls, and, lo and behold, found reborns. I have also needed something to do since I retired last November, but have never had a hobby. I talked with my friend, and asked if she would like to make babies with me, telling her about the reborn kits. She was so excited! We bought the triplet kit, hoping another retired nursery nurse would come play, too. She declined, so the two of us started on our way. My gift to her was the extra supplies she would need so we both could work at the same time.
I have completed 3 babies now; she is currently working on her second. We decided that since we couldn’t play with the babies at the hospital any more, we would just make our own! We are both loving reborning and are very much enjoying the time we spend together doing it.

5 Likes

What is the kind of thing that is sent to the winner of a PIF? I have ready about them, but have no idea what the gift actually is. Thanks!

2 Likes

I love, love, love baby’s . I always wanted to be a momy !!! I come acros reborns a couple of years ago. I made a list for supplies but I didn’t buy it. Two years ago I searched on Internet and I fallen in love with one of the reborn baby’s. I wanted one so badly. So I looked after my old note with supplies and refreshed …and did my first baby, I was so happy in the way she turned out. Today after finishing my 23 th baby I see how ugly is my first one :):slight_smile:

4 Likes

I stumbled across a big name website that sells a lot of reborns (I won’t say their name) and ordered one,excited by how cool it looked in the pictures and catalog. When she arrived I was super disappointed. The baby looked nothing like the picture and also smelled really bad of the baby smell stuff they put on it, so I gave her to one of my granddaughters. I began to figure that if I tried making one myself, I could probably do a better job than the baby I received, given my art experience. I ordered a kit and supplies and lo and behold! It was a little bit better! I decided since I had the supplies, I would just keep making them and try to improve my game. My granddaughters and the elderly ladies of my family are only too happy to take my training projects off my hands that don’t turn out well enough to sell. Someday I’m gonna make a gorgeous keeper baby for me! Anyways…the moral of the story is that I’m hooked and also having a great time buying baby clothes!

4 Likes

My daughter bought an “enhanced” Berenguer for my youngest granddaughter for her 7th birthday in 2011 and her sister was just sick to have one and I told my daughter that I could do that!!! I bought 3 of the Lots to Luv Berengers from Walmart and “reborned” them for Christmas for my niece, and both granddaughters! Most fun I ever have had with gifting! Found “kits” and have never turned back!

7 Likes

This is so fun! I can’t remember the first time I saw a reborn, but I have always loved dolls. I also love sweet little babies. :heartpulse::heartpulse: I have three kids of my own and have been a surrogate mom twice. Now that I’m done having real babies, I’m going to make a couple (hundred?) reborns. Heehee Hopefully they look real! :0) I just love how precious so many of them look. Cannot wait to start my Kate sculpt, but I’m kinda scared I’ll screw it up. Wish me luck! Ha :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I got into reborning because when my nephew was born i wasnt able to see him much and i was wanting to have a newborn size baby to hold. I bought 2 reborns and then i decided to start painting them myself.

3 Likes