PIF My turn!

I can’t play cause I am in Oz but my story is that I came across to Oz to marry my hubby and had to leave my grandson behind. I was heartbroken. One day I was sitting in the office and was browsing for dolls and came across a reborn baby…I almost cried…I wanted one I found so bad but it was $880 (that was in 2007) Was trying to figure how to ask my hubby (we were newly married - about 6 months in) We had a Real Estate Business and I worked as his secretary, the office administrator and also did sales (you know we women wear many hats…lol) His desk was behind mine and I got up and went over by his chair and told him I had found something that I really would love to have but that I needed to get down on my knees to ask for it…He laughed and told me to get up off my knees and just tell him what it was I wanted…I told him I wanted a baby…He just about went down on his knees when he heard that…hahahahaha!..He sort of stopped and stared at me and said…"well…if you want one, I guess they can reverse those things…but I thought you had that ‘fixed’ a long while ago - we were both 46 at the time so you can understand why he was a bit stunned…lol I just about chocked…Looking back I think "How sweet was that, that he would consider actually having a real baby at that age.ahhhhh he is so sweet…sorry got side tracked…anyway, back to the story…I told him I didn’t mean a real baby…and took him to the computer and showed him the pic. Now ladies, I have a very amazing hubby…He was pretty blown away with how real they looked and he told me to contact the lady and get him…That is when I DID cry!..I was on pins and needles till he arrived…I thought everyone in the world knew what was in that box and wanted to steal him…lol I watched his parcel travel the 3 days via internet tracking and was there the morning the PO said he had arrived…It was the most wonderful parcel I EVER EVER received…I have had lots more reborns since that one but he is my special special little boy…(not counting my most special BEAUTIFUL BOY - MY HUBBY!) My hubby was the one who encouraged me to start reborning and he looks at all my babies as a piece of OOAK art work…(He even handles them like they are real if he has to move one…He told me that they add atmosphere to the home. A while back I stopped reborning due to health reasons and he told me he kinda missed seeing all the little ones in the house…so we are making babies again…reborns that is! :wink:

Here is his pic…(my baby…not my hubby…lol)

14 Likes

Well my doppy butt was on eBay for the first time an just searching through all of a sudden I come across these 2 babies an I’m thinking omg there selling babies on eBay lol I know I’m a dope lol so anyway I message the women who was selling them asking her if they was real an of coarse she thought it was funny. She began to explain what they where an how it was a great hobby. I was looking for a hobby at the time so anyway she was kind enough to make me a small starter kit an I was addicted after that I ended up buying a starter kit of bb with paisley an been addicted ever since :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So so cute :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Luvbaby it can be anything. I just received 2outfits, pacifiers, diaper & diaper over You could actually send brushes, prisim pencils, cosemetic sponges or some other tools. Anything reborn related I would think.

4 Likes

It could even be a sale kit from BB or a blanket for photos. I think someone was going to crochet an outfit. Maybe you are good at making magnetic pacifiers or hair bows and want to share those. Maybe you have extras or duplicates of outfits or diapers. It can be anything!

2 Likes

I have loved babies all of my life. When I was young I asked my mom for a real looking doll for Christmas and my birthday (so she didn’t have to get 2 gifts for me) my birthday Dec. 27. :slight_smile: I loved it. I grew up and worked in daycare ( still) and had 4 real babies of my own. 3 girls… One wanted a doll that looks more real than my old one she has. I looked up real looking dolls on the internet… Reborn dolls came up. We all had to have one. I couldn’t afford them but bb website showed up so I checked it out. 14.98 kits are cheaper than a doll at Walmart. So I’m hooked , we all are. I’m not as good as you ladies but You all are so helpful , thank you. My girls and 11 yr old son hold the babies like they are real. My son is so cute when he gently carries the ‘baby’. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I saw an article about the fantasy babies made by The Twisted Beanstalk, and was instantly fascinated. I have been doing all kinds of art for decades, but this has been my most personal work. Babies connect with people on such a deep level.

3 Likes

I was searching for a pattern for a rag doll to make for my daughter. I accidently came across a reborn doll while looking and fell in love. After watching a million videos of box opening I got the nerve to bid on a surprise reborn on ebay. My daughter and I were soooooo excited waiting for he/she to arrive. When the package finally came we opened the box and was totally heartbroken. The doll was the Amber kit and was only wearing a onesie and her leg material was showing. She was just thrown in the box with no packing materials at all. My daughter said she didn’t want her so we donated her to her younger cousin and I set out to learn as much as I could on how to paint them. I finally bought the rosebud kit and have loved it ever since.

3 Likes

Wow…we have a lot of entries! Love everyone’s stories. Keep em coming.

1 Like

i was surfing the internet looking at dolls when i came across reborns. I have collected all kinds of dolls for years, needless to say i was hooked. I bought a couple CHEAP ones and thought hummmmm think i could at least do this good of a job. So i found Bloomers and Bows and bought a kit. The first few were chalky and i wasnt happy with them so after alot more research i found bountiful baby and genisis heat set paints. Well I am an avid kit collector (probably have 70 or so in my collection of un done dolls hate to miss a sale lol. I have made both my sisters and one of my sisterinlaws a doll each made my daughter one and then have made all of granddaughters at least 2 each. Then i have 4 i have made for me. Not been working on any for awhile need to get back in the grove and work on them got one barely started for oldest grand daughter for a Christmas present. Have i mentioned I am a kit hoarder…
Judy

6 Likes

And the Winners are: MOONBAY and JACKIEJO. Ladies please PM me your mailing address.

5 Likes

@moonbay @jackiejo

1 Like

Congrats ladies!!! :heart::heart::smiley::smiley::smiley:

2 Likes

Congratulations Moonbay!!! I’m thrilled to also be one of the winners. This is so exciting!!! Thank you Melanie for the PIF contest!! My turn to PIF now. :smiley: I’ll have to think about something special to do. :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Thank you Izzy…I was a little too excited. You don’t happen to know how to get a video to post on here do you? I wanted to show everyone how I picked the winners.

3 Likes

Thanks for the email Izzy!!!

1 Like

Congrats ladies !

2 Likes

No problem. :slight_smile: maybe try uploading onto photobucket or YouTube and sharing a link?

1 Like

I’m excited too! :grin:

2 Likes

Congratulations ladies… :smile: