One piece of advice

hi everyone!!! I was thinking it would be a fun topic for all of us to pass on one piece of reborning advice that will be helpful to newbies or tips helpful to all!
Mine would be… THIN MEANS THIN! When I started a year ago, I was given the advice… Thin paint! You can always add more layers. But MY idea of thin was not the actual THIN than I learned to realize. So… THIN MEANS THIN!
Can’t wait to read everyone else’s, sorry for using the most obvious! :flushed:

4 Likes

This is perfect! I’m just about to start my Caleb kit!
Good idea :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What’s your advice DC?

I don’t have any yet. I’m just about to start my first :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I use baby fat pellets for the arms and legs of my 1/4 limb babies. I make fleece tubes to put the pellets in & stitch the end closed to avoid any problems with the vinyl or plastic joints. I put the tubes in the limbs and surround them with small amounts of polyfil. I put a factory made baby fat insert in the diaper to give it a very real feeling little baby bottom. Clothing options are more limited but the babies are oh so soft and snuggly.

4 Likes

I have two :slight_smile: # 1 Instead of going to the expense of buying the extra neck ring, buy yourself a bottle of brush-on Loctite super glue and apply a thin layer of this on the neck groove. Make sure this is completely dry before assembling with body. I do the grooves on the limbs too…makes for ease of movement when posing. # 2 I buy white adhesive backed felt, cut circles to match the ends of my babies limbs and head and use these to cap off the filling of glass beads and poly-fill. You can do multiple babies with one sheet and the adhesive sticks very well…also looks very nice.

13 Likes

Where can I buy that felt?

I buy mine at Michaels. It’s in the area of construction and poster board paper, right next to the regular felt.

2 Likes

That’s a super tip! I didn’t know that existed!

My advice is to blend creases out until they look natural. I see too many babies that look like they have a terrible skin irritation, For that matter, on everything, blend and blend and blend! Very few things in nature are hard-edged.

7 Likes

It’s extremely rare for a baby to be born with moons on their nails. And they never go to a salon for a french mani before emerging into this world. For the most realistic nails, avoid painting on moons, and use BB’s flesh 8 sparingly to create the nail tips instead of white!

9 Likes

Leave your credit/debit cards at home when shopping.

9 Likes

Also…take your time. If you are tired you will make mistakes. Don’t use too much blue.

5 Likes

This is GREAT! I love this! I’m going to type it all up and make a printable verision!:+1:

2 Likes

Don’t make “lipstick” lips or “eyeshadow” eyes.

4 Likes

mix your paint constantly when doing flesh layers for a even consistent color

3 Likes

Always love your hobby with a passion, smile at your mistakes and laugh at your struggles. With this you will make your journey to perfection a pleasant one~

4 Likes

Wow…I’m learning some things. Deb, I laugh at Ireland every time I take her out of the oven.

3 Likes

That a girl!!! Thats what makes it all worth while~

1 Like

Invest in a magnifying lamp…great for detailing…
AND…if you’re old…like me…great for EVERY step!!! LOL

Great advice ladies…love this thread!!!

8 Likes