One piece of advice

And invest in the magnifying glasses Pia recommended. I use them when I’m working on creases, nails, rooting and applying ceramcoat to the eyes.

Green tones down red and my first doll looked like she was sun bathing for a week straight lol

AND

when painting hair I always try to use 3 different shades of the hair you are painting, this is my way everyone has their own style
Example

when I mix my own blond paint for hair and eye brows
I use 3 colours I begin with lightest colour and bake, then add next tad bit darker shade bake again, then my third darkest colour and bake then finish with a highlight colour like flesh 07 mixed with thinning medium (no water)

yellow ochre
+flesh 08 (any flesh colour would work) and green for light blond,

yellow ocre +
add flesh 08 a touch eye brow brown, and green for a darker blond

Yellow ochre +
flesh 08 and add a touch of of black and just a touch of green for dark blond

3 Likes

I hit my right key and ask for it to print…done…use paper but done.

Hi, I would love to know where you buy your felt from that has the adhesive on the back. Sounds like a great idea.

Where do you purchase your day light bulbs. This is what I need . I paint mine at our dining table which is by a large window and I can tell a BIG difference in my lighting when it is raining and stormy outside which seems like every day lately. I’m in the south LOL.

1 Like

@mimi - I used the sticky back felt in 2012 when I was a “beginner” and thought it was great and the switched to another method. I just took apart one leg on a baby that I painted and assembled in the Spring of 2012 and the felt was no longer stuck to the leg. I glued it back on with E6000 and that will hold it. The sticky back felt is a time saver, but doesn’t hold up. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. If the joint had not broken, I would not have known it didn’t maintain it’s stick.

1 Like

i bought my full spectrum bulb in the pets section at walmart

1 Like

I buy my ott day lamps and bulbs at Micheals. Make sure you go to the website and Print a coupon first. I get 40 percent off, every time I go:-)

1 Like

@pia…I like the way the felt finishes off the limbs, so from now on I will put a bead of E6000 and maybe just use regular felt. Thanks for the heads up.

2 Likes

Mine was different, it’s a day bulb and I believe one bulb was 15 to 20 dollars. It’s made by ott light. I have 2 different ott lights, one takes a bulb that looks like that, and one takes long Flouresant bulbs. They are super:-)

2 Likes

A lot of new bulbs claim “daylight” type light but I wonder if they are as effective as Ottlite bulbs? Does anyone know? @MichelleP20 I know you said you like it, but have you ever had an Ottlite to compare to? Just wondering as I always just reborned by a sunny window but now I’d like to extend the times I can do it and need a proper light.

1 Like

You were clear, Michelle. I just had extra questions. :smile: Thanks for answering! Too bad money limits us from doing exactly what we’d like. Boy, would I have fun! One house for us, one for the babies, perhaps a connecting tunnel… :laughing:

5 Likes