Crazy charges

Ok heres a weird scenario,so this lady im making a doll for .harper. the doll maker was charging her for eyes? The torso? The glass beads?paypal fees, and the stuffing.plus she is making her put it together.! The doll maker said" this is how everyone is doing it"!? This woman has no idea how to put one together much less one that has a cloth body inside of a vinyl torso. I had talked to her on Facebook once or twice so she asked me is this how its done? Im like umm,ive not heard of that, i dont do that.so now this doll maker who btw refuses to show a safety picture is all kind of miffed.my question is is this the new " norm"?( All the extra unnecessary charging)

1 Like

Havenā€™t heard of that.
(Also I am sure you noticed but Harper has no eyesā€¦ so why that charge at all?)

I have heard of painted kitsā€¦ but that is all. They just charge for the kit and their time/skill/experience as far as I knowā€¦ the customer normally has all the other stuff needed to assemble it themselves.

2 Likes

Yeah thatā€™s what i told her,that it doesnā€™t take eyes its asleep,plus the torso comes with the kit,so that shouldnā€™t be an extra charge.and i have never charged paypal fees.i dont get charged when i use pay pal to pay for bountiful baby. only if i receive money. It was all a little odd. Then the other woman got all kinds of mad, basically saying that hers are great and whover shes getting it from that its crap.now why as an ā€œartistā€ would you downgrade anothers work just because someone chose a different person? Not very professional imo

3 Likes

The ā€˜no safety picturesā€™ would be a major red flag to me. Then the extra fee for the eyes and the torso? Sounds like a scam.
Iā€™ve never heard of anyone doing it like that, you either pay for a complete doll or for a painted kit. The painted kit is usually only for other artists, though. A regular collector would just buy a completed doll.

1 Like

Sounds weird I usually would charge just a certain rate.
Perhaps maybe it was something like this?
ā€œOh I charge say $500 for a custom order, but since this Doll has a full torso it is more work and I would have to charge $50 extra for him?ā€
Maybe Iā€™m not sure.
I know I charge extra for a belly plate, but it seems silly to single out each piece with a price, unless a customer particularly asks, then Iā€™m not even sure since that doesnā€™t sound like the case.

Either way, I agree with you! Sounds strange!

2 Likes

I am going to call this one more than likely a scam since there are no safety photos being provided and itā€™s being done over facebook. There seem to be more scammers on Facebook if you will for some reason. But the no safety photos is a HUGE red flag for me. If she does go through with it, Make sure she pays with goods and services through PayPal and not friends and family so she can file a claim if needed. By the way i have never heard of the extra charges like that. Maybe if they wanted some special upgraded eyes or something but never charging for just the eyes. I have heard of artists charging more to paint full bodied babies verses just the head and limbs.

1 Like

Iā€™ve started to see things like this come up. The one that annoys me the most is people asking you to pay the PayPal fee or pay ā€œfriends and familyā€. I get you donā€™t want to pay the fee but thatā€™s part of using PayPal. I guess I get annoyed by it because I was scammed by someone wanting me to pay ā€œfriends and familyā€. As far as charging her for eyes and torso, Iā€™ve heard of that for painted kits. Like painting the torso is any extra $xx because it takes more time. And sometimes on customs, the artist will charge more for eyes if you want glass ones, but only on awake kits. I donā€™t understand why this artist is making the customer put it together though! Thatā€™s only if you buy a painted kit! Sounds sketchy to me.

1 Like

Thats what I told her, considering harper is sleeping. And she was told she had to order the torso? So im thinking that doll maker isnā€™t legit.also doll maker brought anorher person into the supposed conversation ā€œfor doll makers protectionā€!??. I told her that if she ever wants a good one to come on here,there are amazing ones by great artists who would help her.

1 Like

Thats what i told her.stuff like this is making it hard for honest people to sell

1 Like

I have sold two babies through facebook. I like it. I must say that there are all types of people who sell through facebook. Some are really good artists and some I am amazed that a person will buy what they are selling. I am in several groups and there are some really great artists there and you see lots of diversityā€¦realistic babies to alternatives. All different price ranges and levels of ability. It is fun. But, as with all things, there are the cons who show up and try to hide in with the artists so they can get their part of the sales. Some of the artists, especially the well known ones, who refuse to do safety photos. They have spent a lot of time on professional photos and will not send a phone photo for someone who doubts them.

This person doesnā€™t sound like professional photos are the reason behind no safety pics

1 Like

When she asked me if this was what all doll maker did i said no.yes charge extra for torso(paint) if its not part of the kit.but not charge for the painting and the part.and i told her never buy from someone unwilling to send you a safety picture.

1 Like

This is not the new norm. No safety pictures, her trashing another artist, her anger and charging for eyes on a sleeping baby are huge red flags for me. All of the supplies I use are included in the price of the doll, not charged separately. This lady dodged a bullet with that one.

4 Likes

I agree with this. Iā€™m not saying buying a baby on Facebook means itā€™s a scam. In fact I have sold there too. Iā€™m just saying there seems to be more scamming going on there then other places where reborns are sold. I should have clarified better. Lol. I replied before coffee. Iā€™m more inclined to say scam due to the fact of the extra mysterious charges and the lack of saftey photos.

@grannyx3
Did she provide you with the artists name? I donā€™t want it personally but I was wondering if this is someone who is brand new and has a nursery page or some sort of feedback or something. Or is it someone who just popped out of the woodwork?

I agree this sounds scammy.

I donā€™t know if this is common knowledge, but itā€™s illegal to charge PayPal or credit card fees in certain states (I think 10 of them or so?) I live in Texas, where it is. There are ways to get around it such as giving a ā€œcash discountā€ when in fact the price has been raised to cover the fee. Or calling it a ā€œconvenience feeā€ instead of a surcharge. I personally feel itā€™s just the cost of doing business and pay it for my customers. I donā€™t know how it works for online transactions though, when people live in different states.

Just thought Iā€™d share some trivia! Haha :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

We all charge for the PP fee, just as I charge for the ā€œfree postageā€; ALL the costs are already added to the sale price. I would also charge more for buying & painting torso, or if the customer requests more expensive eyes.

BUT, charging for eyes for sleeping baby, that sounds as if she does not have the kit.

1 Like

Are you sure sheā€™s making BBs Harper and not Harper Arcello? That one has open eyes and does not come with a belly plate (as far as I know). Still wouldnā€™t explain the refusal to assemble though.

1 Like

How come there are these links in your post, and they are not leading anywhere?

Yeah but thatā€™s different. If itā€™s included in the prices thatā€™s one thing. The issue with the PayPal fee is that some people put the price of the doll and then ask for more on top of that to cover the fee. Or they ask you to pay as ā€œfriends and familyā€ so they donā€™t have to pay the fee. If you include it in the original price, I donā€™t see a problem with it. Itā€™s when people jack it up after the fact.

1 Like

I think the forum created the links because there is no space after the period. Like when we write a web address like bountifulbaby.com (with no spaces creates a link)

1 Like

Iā€™ve heard of people who do nothing but paint the kit and sell it. No body, filling, eyes, hair, nada but painted vinyl. Iā€™ve not heard of your thing though. Not sending safety pics is a show stopper for me.

1 Like