Cheap recipes

Anybody have some tasty, inexpensive recipes, without a ton of ingredients, that we can use in these difficult times?

4 Likes

You can do noodles in mushroom soup! And add in a veggie if you want… it’s a cheap goulash.
You can make delish pasta sauce with only crushed tomatoes, olive oil, onion, garlic basil and s and p!
If you can find flour you can make homemade noodles
Chicken and rice
Soups!

2 Likes

I made this last night :slight_smile:

We are making pizza tonight. There was no crust at the store but I know a quick recipe that works really well (Easy Homemade Pizza Dough Recipe) and fortunately I already had some flour because we cant find that either. If you dont have bread flour you can use all purpose but you may want to add a bit more than the recipe calls for because I noticed its too sticky otherwise. I will be having fat head pizza because Im keto but my kids and my husband are carbavores :wink: .

Oooo that sounds good!

I take rice, a can of black beans, can of Rotel, add spices, mix it up, boom instant yummy. Cheap, filling, and you can make a LOT of it if you need to.

2 Likes

For a healthy pizza you can make the crust from Cali flower and use veggies to cover it instead of cheese! It’s soooooo good!

Yummmmmy!!! I love black beans and rice!!! I’ll add a can of rotel next time… if I can find any. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

That sounds good and I have all those ingredients. What spices do you add to yours?

1 Like

I love that and did it many times to take for lunch for work.

2 Likes

I love all kind of homemade soups. They are cheap and easy.
The one that I have now has: potatoes, carrots, onion, broccoli, chicken (you don’t have to have it, just add bulion), and I added shredded cheese as I saw that UK doctor Campbell did. I grinded all that to the thick pure and it taste SO good!

Cumin, salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic, onion. Mmmmmmmmm! I know what I’m making for dinner.

1 Like

I add red wine vinegar to mine too! And lime!
Yes!!! Totally making this tonight!!! Yay!!!

1 Like

Oooooo yes!!! I think I have a line rolling around my fridge somewhere!!

1 Like

I do a curry with cauliflower and coconut milk. I make it often with what I have on hand. This time was red pepper and a couple potatoes too. I have it over rice and it’s great day 2.

2 Likes

Not sure if these are helpful but it’s what we are eating at my house, there are five of us (and one is a 20 year old man child who eats more than anyone I know and remains lean). I am trying to limit trips to the store, just trying to respect the lock down as best I can.

Tamale pie:

ground chicken, onions, peppers, corn, green beans, spices you like, and a can of crushed tomatoes.

I salute it all in a pan, transfer it to a baking dish, add some cheese (what ever I have) and then make a box of corn bread mix (jiffy is less than a buck) you just need some milk and an egg (you could use water). Pour it on top and bake at 375 until the cornbread browns. (it fed us all well)

Quick spaghetti lunch. I can of stewed tomatoes, and a can of tomato sauce, olive oil, garlic ( a lot of garlic) season and spice to your taste. We ate this in Italy a lot. I used salt, pepper, sugar, and red pepper flakes. You sauté the garlic in the olive oil, add the sauce and spice and toss it with spaghetti. Top with part if you have it. I served it the other day with homemade biscuits (the little loves biscuits) I bought four boxes of the red lobster biscuits at Target (I hope that isn’t considered hoarding, they had a lot) You just add grated cheese and water, mix, bake, and they give you a little herb packet to add to melted butter and brush on the biscuits. They were some kind of guilty pleasure yummy.

Don’t let the veggies spoil stir fry. I take every damn veggie out of the frig that might be on its last leg. I wash and dice it up. I saute garlic and onion and peppers (if I have them) some ginger (we always have ginger because I love it) in the olive oil in a wok (you can use a big frying pan) then add all the veggies until they get bright and pretty. I take the left over spaghetti (no sauce) from lunch the day before and throw it in. I add different sauces depending what I have at the end, mostly I just use a cheap teriyaki sauce, sesame oil…If I have it I throw in peanuts, cashews, sesame seeds and tofu. You can add left over chicken too. It makes a huge portion, clean up is easy.

Sheppards pie. It is just like the tamale pie, you change out the southwestern seasonings for salt, pepper, garlic, celery if you have it. I use ground chicken, carrots, peas, celery, red pepper, onion. Sautee it all up. I add 1/2 a can of tomato sauce and some chicken broth if I have it. You can be creative with the sauce, I once made it with cream of mushroom and sour cream because it is what I had on hand. You put that in a baking dish, then top it with mashed potatoes (and cheese if you have little kids and butter if you are me). Bake it until it gets all bubbly. Cheap makes a lot. You can use veggies you have or just use a frozen mix. Don’t use canned (mushy).

Tacos. I swear this is the yummiest, easiest, and cheapest way to feel a family. You can make tacos with any left over meat, tofu, rice, beans you have. I was raised on beans, rice and tortillas. I make beans from scratch and I batch cook brown rice. I always have tortillas and masa (corn tortillas are so easy to make). My favorite combo is soy chorizo, potato and ground chicken a little salsa to make it all yummy while it is cooking. Cabbage, a little cheese, some corn salsa. We will eat these until our face falls off.

Typed super fast because I have a little who is stealing screen time without finishing his school work and I have to get after him, no time to edit.

4 Likes

I’ll be making this one but tonight I’m making stuffed peppers.

What is rotel???

Rotel is a brand name for canned chopped tomatoes with chilies and spices.

1 Like

I’m making Mexican Surprise Bread this week. Brown some hamburger with taco seasoning and onion. Roll out a loaf of thawed bread dough and spoon the mixture into it. Add cheese and roll it up. Bake at 400 for 12-15 minutes.

2 Likes

Check dollar tree. We had it last I checked.