Cheap recipes

If I could eat whatever I wanted, I seriously would eat a big bowl of this. Also works with cream of chicken. Even better, mix both!

• Ham and beans can be made with dried beans soaked over night and a cheap ham bone.
  • Grilled cheese and tomato soup
  • If you are into Chinese food, stir fry over rice is cheap enough… rice is inexpensive, especially in bulk, then frozen veggies. Throw in meat if you want.
  • Fried rice. Cook your rice, let it get dried up in the refrigerator for a few days. The eggs and bag of frozen veggies that go with it are super cheap.
  • Mac and cheese made from scratch.
  • Pot of chili using a McCormick seasoning pack. Use a small pack of hamburger and extra can of beans. Can stretch it further by serving it over rice.
  • Pot roast with vegetables. Throw in extra potatoes.
  • Potato soup. We were so poor growing up that I ate this often. It is comfort food to me now… boil potatoes and onions in salt water, set aside. Melt butter in a pan, work in flour to make a roux. Add milk, then the potato onion mixture, salt and pepper to taste. And if that wasn’t enough carbs, we would eat it with crackers. Lol Trust me, this is delicious!!
  • Tuna salad mixed into pasta
  • Peanut butter and jelly extend the life of bread in fridge or freezer if need be
  • Bean burritos
  • Eggs and toast
  • Oatmeal
  • Pancakes. Can make extra and freeze.
  • Chicken soup I just made this out of rotisserie chicken, portioned it out and froze it. Add noodles at time of serving if you don’t want it to absorb all of your liquid
  • Vegetable soup. I just made a huge pot out of mostly a bag frozen vegetables and beef stock. Portioned it out and froze.
    If times get really tough, throw some frozen veggies in a pack of ramen. Dash of soy sauce and there you go… I survived nursing school eating this. Lol
1 Like

I’m making a big pot of chicken soup and black beans.
I’ll pull some chicken out if the soup to eat on the beans. It smells amazing!

2 Likes

I make mac and cheese in my instant pot, my 17 year old, bottomless pit loves it! He also loves grilled cheese and tomato soup. Soup and chili are really, super, fast in the instant pot as well. Roast too :wink:

I miss rice so much but its easier for me to stay away from pasta as I have some strange reaction to it and my gut swells up and hurts really bad. Thought it was gluten but I have no problems eating bread.
Cant eat beans either and used to eat those all the time.
I miss Oatmeal…how weird is that?
I miss potatoes, I LOVE potato soup!

We made some cauliflower “rice” curry today with Naan bread (made from fat head dough). I ate one piece of bread and froze the rest to just pop in the oven with butter and garlic powder on top when I want it.

Tuna casserole is always good too if you are fortunate enough to have no issues with pasta :wink: . I have a version with zoodles in it that is really good.

2 Likes

@jeanhai I use these spices minus the brown sugar. Sorry about the 3rd pic, it snuck in there.

Lb of ground meat (I use turkey) .can ragu double cheddar cheese sauce, box of pasta. Makes big pot!

Tater tots baked as directed
Chopped steak (any meat works) can of cream of mushroom soup, layer on top of tots, cover with shredded cheese until melty

Egg noodles, 2 large cans of cream of chicken soup, shredded chicken, bacon crumble on top
Makes a lot of chicken noodle soup!

Leftover rice, 1 egg, meat or veggie cooked in skillet together with a little soy sauce
Stir fry!

When I can find a pork butt on sale I love to make kaluha pig
Cook pork in large pot with soy sauce, liquid smoke and water to cover meat. Add garlic, onion powder, pineapple juice (1 cup) , salt and pepper Cook until tender leaving meat in juice.
I serve over white rice with sauteed brocilli
It makes a ton and it’s so good lol