Has anyone noticed that you can’t click on the avatars or names and get anyone’s real name anymore?
I am feeling wierd and guilty about it. I was always clicking and getting peoples names because I like it when people use mine on this forum, but suddenly I wondered if I bothered someone who preferred anonymity and maybe they asked BB to stop allowing people to do this. I am really consumed with guilt about it. I don’t usually take things like this to heart, but I’m having a morning full of self doubt. If anyone can reassure me, or just share the guilt, I would sure appreciate it. This is REALLY bothering me. I would never intrude on anyone’s privacy. I know it seems really self-centered to think this has anything to do with me…

2 Likes

I wouldn’t worry. I always feel special when someone is interested enough to know my real name. I’m sure there’s lots of others that feel the same. You are not to blame. We love you!

5 Likes

Yeah, but checking profiles accually FEELS like snooping…
I am hyper-sensitive on issues of personal privacy. That’s why this gets me so much. This change makes me feel like I got slapped by a friend. I’m pretty sure this wasn’t really about me, but that insecure little 1 percent of me still feels like it could have been.

I think some people want the privacy. Im good either way. Darla here :wink: i can see why youd like it. I’m HORRIBLE at rememebering names.

Helen, don’t worry about it, maybe it is for another reason entirely. I don’t know why anyone would join ANYTHING and not want anyone to know their name. I think using someone’s real name makes it so much more personal and friendly. It’s nice to think that we can actually form some friendships on here without saying “hey you”!!! I personally like using someone’s name and I fell the same in reverse. Of course my name IS my user name. People are weird, You’re NOT. Don’t worry about it, enjoy your day reborning!!!

3 Likes

Since members can modify their profiles, the member can give as much or as little info as they want to give so it isn’t snooping. I can actually just tap on the name and it takes me to the profile? Doesn’t it do that for you?

2 Likes

Thanks Lynn. My username, Honojane, is actually my family pet name for me, so I use my real name too, in a way. It’s also my nursery name. I don’t really want to be anonymous here. I like my online friends and I like to use there names because it makes me feel like I know them better. I like to be able to check the names too because I don’t remember names very well and just a quick click is an easy reminder. i don’t feel guilty now, just a little sad, like a lost something nice.

Clicking on the person’s name takes me to their profile???

No, but we could always click on the picture and their user name would come up and underneath was often their real name if they had supplied it, but now when you click, nothing happens.

Helen, I don’t think that you are snooping. Any person that puts information on a computer should realize that this information is readily available to all who know how to get it, and should understand that. I have no problem with anyone accessing any information that I have provided on this forum. Please don’t feel sad. :cry: I don’t think that the changes are because of you, my dear forum friend. :rose: ~Diane~

2 Likes

Hugs to you DIANE! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

(((((((((((((((((((Helen))))))))))))))))))))). :

Funny girl!

1 Like

I’m DeeDee, aka Twolips and Dandelions, my user name is too long so it cuts me off and all you see is one big word “twolipsanddande” you don’t get the “roar” part :wink:

3 Likes

Jessica, thanks for telling me about the right click. I can do that too. It is strange though…

1 Like

DeeDee. I have a sister we call Dee Dee or often just Deed. Her name is really Mary Lee.

1 Like

I noticed that you can no longer click on them the same day I noticed that the icon/profile pic/avatar (not sure of the right term here) changed from a square to a circle. I only have my first name (Lorraine) in my profile, so it’s not like someone can really look me up and stalk me - not that any one here would even do that. I thought it was sweet when Helen used my real name, like she bothered to get to know me.

So, I say, “Helen, it’s not your fault. You are a sweetie and should not worry one more second over this.” Okay? :blush:

2 Likes

My friend, you are not alone…I was doing the same…It is hard when you first start out learning everyone’s name and I felt like it was rude NOT to use their name if it was there for us to see…I don’t feel like it is snooping at all…People don’t have to put any more info on there than they want too so if someone has put their name, I just assumed that they don’t mind us knowing who they are…otherwise “How can we be friends”…haha! I think that was a song from somewhere back in my distant past…might have the words wrong through…nope… it think it was "can we still be friends?’’’ hmmmm will have to go see if I can look that up on the internet now… It will bug me till I know for sure…ha!

3 Likes

Helen, I, too, am hypersensitive about personal privacy (mine & other people’s). I agree with Lynn that if someone wants to remain anonymous, why would they join anything where people might learn their name? You haven’t done anything wrong. Also, I tried clicking on the avatars and I got names so I don’t know what’s going on.

1 Like

My real name Pat it’s like everyone is saying if you want privacy don’t get online. Cause your out there for all to see. It doesn’t bother me I think it’s nice that someone would go to the trouble of looking for my real name. No worries be happy…

2 Likes