Your Thoughts On Toddlers

A lot of Day Care workers here. I worked in Day Care starting in HS. I also worked with problem children. I owned my own DC business. My last job was in a College working with College Students just like working in a Day Care, lol! :laughing: I worked in the Student Center.

2 Likes

They can be both lol toddlers and babies. I consider toddlerhood to end of 2, maybe to 3. Preschool would be 3-4. Daycare I worked at, the baby room, which had babies to up to 13-14 months, the toddler room was up until 2, then 2s,3s, preschool and school age.

4 Likes

Toddler reborns can sometimes hit the uncanny valley for me as some sculpts have a face that is more like the face of a 5 year old instead of looking like your regular 1-3 year old. How some artists do the hair can also be uncanny as almost no toddler has dense, super long hair.

I like well-made toddler reborns because they are cute and they have more, “playability,” in the sense that they have more clothing opportunities and photography/display opportunities. However, I feel like making a mistake when reborning a toddler seems less forgiving than if you were to make the same mistake on a newborn.

I probably wouldn’t get/reborn a toddler mostly just due to how big they are, they need more room to be displayed or stored. Especially if the toddler is in a, “standing,” position.

5 Likes

I agree with the hair. It’s weird. You very rarely will see a toddler with that much hair. I suppose it could happen, but the way I see the dolls, it isn’t very realistic at all. I think child dolls are cool, and would be fun to pose and dress, but would also be a pain to have around. After awhile, I’d think it would be chore like.

5 Likes

I love toddlers! I’m making Katie Marie right now. I think the long hair is great at 28"+ because most of my nieces have had long hair before they were 2.

3 Likes

When I was growing up I had a friend with a doll the size of a year old but looked a little older, had a full head of hair down to her shoulders. She had this beautiful pink suitcase with real clothes in it, shoes, hats, socks, dresses… I have never seen another doll like it and she has held onto it her whole life.

I loved that doll so much.

She wasn’t hyper realistic but real enough for that whole uncanny valley vibe.

With hyper realistic dolls looking older, some look like kids not babies I freak out. I can’t imagine owning one… I did own two life sized grown women mannequins once, and I loved it that they freaked people out but they were for an art project (bought them when Mervyn’s went out of business).

Toddlers are fun to dress…so many options for clothing, but anything older than 3 months starts to feel like a mannequin for me and I am always worried when I sell a bigger baby what the person who buys it wants it for. I know that is creepy and awful but if you new some of the questions I have been asked since making these babies you would understand. I very rarely make babies with genitals now, I have no problem with it, but creepers freaked me out.

6 Likes

@RoyalAnchor I really enjoyed this topic. It was so funny at times. You have more than enough information to make some kind of decision. :rofl: Some love them some don’t. I think you are back where you started.

@Gabriell I like Mannequins too I wanted to buy one when our Beals went out of business but $400 for half a body was a little too much for me.

1 Like

I would appease him too, Gnomes are powerful little guys and you definitely want to stay on their Good Side!! hahahaha. The “stink eye” from a powerful Gnome could be a Very Bad Thing!! LOL

3 Likes

Yeah I’ve seen some Sue Sues and Maggies with very long hair and I don’t like it at all. :grimacing:

1 Like

Yes :joy:. I created this topic last night and then I went to bed. I woke up this morning to check my phone and it said there were like 12 new replies and I was like, oh wow :rofl:

I think the biggest I would go would be 28 inches but I’m not sure. I love the size of Maddie a lot but I don’t count her as a toddler at all. I wish there were more sculpt’s her size. I’m not drawn to the many that are available. Margot seems to be somewhat popular but she has to be painted a certain way and she seems like too much of a challenge for me at the moment :joy:.

At times I feel like getting a Liam but I never have, I like the bigger babies but I don’t know if I would want to be the one to paint them :rofl:. I love Adele too but again, it’s lots to paint AND she has a chest plate.

I love the idea of more clothing options for better prices. I love baby shoes and they are so much cheaper when they can fit the bigger sizes.

I also don’t know how to root hair and on the toddlers, I prefer rooted hair. So I guess if I got a toddler, I would have someone else paint and root it. :joy:

Does anyone have pictures of any 28 inch reborn beside a Maddie? I’m curious of the size difference.

1 Like

MacPhersons has a good number of that size.

1 Like

I’m always on Macpherson’s looking at the sizes. :joy: I always check back incase one of the sculpt’s eventually sticks out to me. I’m not fond of many of them however I do like Maddie and Liam 🤷

1 Like

If it’s Juan or bigger, no ty! :laughing: Juan gives me the most creeps!

1 Like

Thanks so much :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The only toddler that creep me out are the smilling ones, especially with teeth. Except Mila. This one I have to get her one day !

Only down side for me is the lack of space to keep them.

4 Likes

I think though, with us reborners and collectors, we MAKE space! :rofl: :laughing:

2 Likes

Exactly. Who needs furniture?

2 Likes

Or that space for the space heater when it’s freezing. A tote with seasonal clothes, or absolutely nothing in it and a half dead plant? ROOM FOR A TODDLER AND HER FRIENDS!

4 Likes

I just having a hard time convincing my husband and 3 kids that is it a necessity :joy:

2 Likes

I think you should just ‘buy’ one already finished, much easier. If you don’t want to paint it and you don’t want to root it----then there isn’t anything else left to do! (?) Buy a completed doll.

1 Like