Your Achilles' Heel in the Reborn World

Lips is mine, I can never get the realistic colour that I want, they always look ok but I would love to perfect them

1 Like

Eyebrows, creases and going to fast because I can’t put the brush down lol.

However, I love doing hair, blushing and assembling.

2 Likes

I would think portrait dolls would be even more pressure than the usual custom, trying to make it look like a real person and live up to the family’s expectations and memories. Plus the fact they may be grieving as this is often someone they have lost. Awful.

1 Like

When someone asks for a portrait baby I have them send me pictures to see if I can find the right kit before agreeing to do it. I do really like doing them.

I find it interesting and fun to see human pix compared to reborn sculpts, but can’t picture the stress of taking on that kind of project.

I imagine someone in the reborning world could specialize in portrait/memorial reborning. Maybe it could even include using the loved one’s hair (if appropriate for rooting) or cremains as part of the filling?
Jewelry of this sort has become popular, and blown glass paperweights too. A heart shaped paperweight made with the cremains enclosed inside the doll’s body would be fitting and clean.

I have no idea how one would go about advertising this, but I could see it really normalizing reborns as just another way to remember people with a very personal touch.

1 Like

For me it’s eyebrows, don’t hate it, mine just don’t look as good as I wish they would. I need to improve.

1 Like

I hate second guessing myself. I spend ages looking at a perfectly decent paint job, waiting for something to jump out at me that the doll still needs. I’ll leave a doll unfinished for weeks or even months as I agonize over what to do next. Most of the time, the answer is to just varnish and assemble the darn thing. I hate being so slow!

2 Likes

I’ve asked this exact question, how do you know when it’s done? Just thinking with so many paint layers it might be hard to stop and leave well enough alone.

2 Likes