Xodus thinning oil is out!

I have been eagerly awaiting this to hit the for sales page and it is finally here!

This stuff is great! You can add it to old Genesis matte varnish or hardened Genesis paints to thin them down again! It can be used in any brand heat set paints to make them dissolve more buttery smooth. It can replace the linseed oil some of you use in your paints only this is better because it actually is in and of itself a heat set product! I am still trying out ways to use it!

13 Likes

I need me some of that. I have a 4oz jar of genesis matte that is hard as a rock. It’s been hot in my house but not 265 degrees hot

1 Like

Wouldn’t thinner like Gamsol work for that?

This won’t evaporate out the way odorless solvent will. This also won’t dilute the heat set properties as this is a heat set agent. Once this is mixed in your paint it can be stored in the original paint jar.

2 Likes

Does it bake extra matte like the Shelley Marie medium? Or does it bake with the same finish as genesis alone? I’ve been looking for something to thin my paints that gives them a good creamy consistency but not a powdery look.

3 Likes

Great question!

It bakes out like the thinning medium. No sheen and not powdery. It is the same oil that is used in the Xodus mediums. You know how your Genesis paints have oils in them that sometimes rises to the top, has to be stirred or leaks out? This is like that. It is the oil that is used in the Xodus and it is a heat set oil. For overall thinning though I would suggest trying the Xodus thinning medium. It is wonderful and very much like the original formula of Genesis thinning that came out years ago before Genesis changed it.

On a side note: all the Xodus mediums have the same properties as Genesis in that they have to be stored in PET free jars. So if you make new mixes, be sure you use the Genesis safe jars to put them in.

4 Likes

I’ve also been testing this and I really think it’s going to be a new favorite! Like Angie said it’s great to add to heat set paints to get a buttery consistency. I have been experimenting like crazy with it and really love it! I’ve been using it in place of regular thinner and it gives great translucency and really smooth application. I’ve been using it where I would have normally used thinning medium. I find my regular ghsp thinning medium to be very shiny, this thinning oil cures to a nice soft matte. I’ve been adding it to my paint mixes like I would linseed oil and it works great for that too, it helps with chalkiness in colors with white and muddiness in dark flesh colors. It makes everything super smooth glide. Because of the matte finish, I also expirimented using it straight on areas that weren’t taking paint well and it worked great, without leaving a layer you could feel like a varnish layer would have. I’ve also added it to my new formula GHSP and it cured at 265 and wasn’t super shiny! I’m working on a video for it now, I’m sure Angie will have a few also, but I really think this product is everything they were hoping SM heat set agent would be. I have yet to find a situation where adding it made a product harder to use or where the result would have been better without it.

8 Likes

Thank you! I am liking all the Xodus mediums a lot. The thinning medium is nice, but maybe this would be better certain things like more pigmented washes. I will have to try some. I find their thinning medium does bake slightly matte which is ok for nails, lips, etc. I love the Xodus gloss! I just used it in Sam’s lips and nails and it really looks nice.

2 Likes

The SM makes a great sealer for hands and feet! That’s the only use for it I have now and I really like it for that.

2 Likes

I think you would definitely like this for that use then! I have the SM agent as well, I found using it as a sealer gave me more tooth that I could feel, if that makes sense? This oil seems to give the same amount of tooth, but feels much smoother to touch for painting over. I’m going to try it on my Ellie-Sue kit as an ultimate sealer test :laughing:
And how you were asking about the finish, for me it has a definite matte finish, but isn’t powdery and doesn’t dull colors at all.

2 Likes

I will definitely try it. Thanks! I like the coverage of the SM for pitted fingers. But I brush it on smooth with a fluffy small brush Vs pouncing. It goes on a lot less grainy that way. This is the SM hand. (With textured varnish on top too) It’s very matte but kinda nice for hands and feet that are really shiny to begin with on certain kits.

I will definitely try the oil for this as well. It would be nice to have lots of options!

4 Likes

I can’t see anything but those amazing nails!! I’ll have to try the SM with a brush.

2 Likes

When you are mixing this with the Genesis paints to get a buttery consistency, are you also still adding some odorless thinner in or just the thinning oil? I really did not like the reformulated Genesis thinning medium, because it would often go chalky and/or shiny for me, so I stopped using it years ago. I’ve always wanted something to make the paints smooth and go on nice and soft for good blending.

2 Likes

Since Genesis thinning medium never worked for me and took paint off a couple of time I had to ask a stupid question - what are those places?

3 Likes

I had the same issue with GHSP a few times also! I’ve been using the oil for lips, nails, veins, creases, blushing and also used it for a few washes instead of regular thinner in my mix. I also used it straight on toes that wouldn’t take paint. So far I haven’t had any paint removal at all with it!

2 Likes

I’ve done it both ways, the consistency is right in the middle of regular thinner and thinning medium. When adding regular thinner to the mix it’s definitely still smooth, but it’s thin enough that I could happily use it in place of regular thinner.

2 Likes

I have been using the S&M Heat Set agent as my primer. All these products work really well together. I am so excited that we have alternatives now to make things work. I think these products make the other brands of heat set paints work better too. This oil can be added to the other brands to make them dissolve more smoothly for painting.

4 Likes

Thank you!

Does this have a strong smell? The odorless thinners give me headaches so I use a mask. Would a mask probably be needed for this?

1 Like