Wrinkled baby kits too many? too few?

I read someone say some babies are too wrinkled…I bought Libby kit and see what they mean.Her hands and feet look like alligator skin or something. so many wrinkles.Guess id rather have too many than not enough like some kits though.
Think ill make a list of the kits that i like the amount of wrinkles and finished face in case i want to do more. Avery im in love with now shes finished.She is PERFECT!Great wrinkles.Caleb was another …perfect detailed wrinkles .Very real but small.
I have 3 more kits waiting.Hope some have nice wrinkles.

What do you do for babies with very few feet hands wrinkles to make them look more realistic.?

I know one of my new kits have very few wrinkles forgot which…i glanced at the foot when it arrived.Probably do it last.
Im getting to be a Wrinkle snob!!!

3 Likes

I love the wrinkles! Those babies feel so much more real to me when completed. But there are personal preferences, and I"m guessing our preference as artists may differ from our customers.

2 Likes

I love all the wrinkles except forehead wrinkles. I don’t know why other than that my babies didn’t have wrinkly foreheads.

5 Likes

I agree Helen. My babies (actual daughters) were born with very wrinkled feet and hands but none in the face. I like the wrinkles on feet and hands except for the time it takes to make sure paint doesn’t build up in them :laughing:

4 Likes

I agree Melanie. Painting all those little feet wrinkles is a “bear”! But so worth it. Aren’t they the cutest when they are done?

3 Likes

I admit im not super observant.Couldnt remember if id seen babies with so many like this.Fingers to me look sewed up like link sausage …but again much better than 2 little wrinkles.

1 Like

I like wrinkles! Libby is such a chunk though, and babies her size do usually have smoother hands I guess…but I think that’s just Cindy’s sculpting style. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yes Sony that is how they look bath wrinkles…Libbys palms to me are ok. its the fingers look past the norm.
Im a little disgruntled over this Libby kit because i bought her on sale.
Didnt think she was a second but has something black looks like buried in the back of her neck under the vinyl .Dont know how to cover it. A mole?and also noticed has one arm flatter than the other. From the front looks ok but top to bottom thinner like someone had baked it and it collapsed a little.
If I was selling her it would have to go back but since its for a family birthday it will be ok I only noticed the arm when painting it.

1 Like

I agree with Helen I can’t deal with the forehead wrinkles, my babies didn’t have those forehead wrinkles either. Love the feet and hand wrinkles.

2 Likes

I love all the wrinkly hand and feels :grin:

1 Like

I love the little wrinkles on the hands and feet, but hate the ones on the forehead. I’ve done some older kits that the wrinkles on the hands did not match up so I just painted them on and blended it in to look like a crease or wrinkle.

1 Like

My high school classmates new baby has a crazy amount of wrinkles. I didn’t think it looked real until I saw his little palm. lol (the kit hand is blurry but is Jake’s)

6 Likes

Oh my gosh.!.Is true. So many wrinkles on a real baby well im wrong!!Can happen!!
Funny it actually makes me feel better.lol

I have my first foehead wrinkle kit Didnt notice the wrinkle Will see how it comes out.May need a head bandNormally do not like forehead wrinkles at all.
Shell go last.

2 Likes

Crazy huh? lol She is not very into internet sharing of her life so I still havent seen his face. :slight_smile: But was amazed he had so many. Made me rethink some of the kits. lol

2 Likes

Babies that are fully developed at birth…38-40 wks and more have lots of wrinkles on the soles of their feet. Premies, depending on how premature they actually are, have little to no wrinkles there. I know people like wrinkled feet, but the deep wrinkles on the soles of sculpts that are supposed to depict premies are not there in real life. I wish some of the really premature looking sculpts would show this.
Really early babies have smooth feet, the wrinkles in the forward part of the sole (closest to the toes) develop first. I’m not really sure how this correlates with the surface of the palms of the hands, but I would imaging there would be some similarity.
When nurses assess the gestational age of a newborn at birth, the wrinkles on the sole of the foot are one of the significant markers of gestational maturity.
I also think the multitude of deep wrinkles on some of the “improved” sculpts look like bath wrinkles more than real baby feet. I can work with them, but some sculpts have a little more than necessary!

6 Likes

My Zhenya has really wrinkled hands.

2 Likes

That’s very interesting. I had no idea about preemies. All of my babies were born at 40+ weeks except one who was induced at 38.
I agree some of the wrinkles look like bath wrinkles. :worried:

3 Likes

When babies are born they do have lots of wrinkles from being very tightly packed. I remember looking at my daughter when they first gave her to me few minutes after birth and I thought there was something wrong with her arm. But the skin soon plumps up and evens up. My granddaughter’s foot at about a 1 week. The lines are there but except the large once are very faint.

her hand the same day:

6 Likes

No heavy blue undertones on the feet either! I think reborns are often stylized a bit…they are dolls so to make them seem realer people add lots of extra mottling, undertones, wrinkles etc. I like all sorts of different reborn styles though. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Was he only just born?

3 Likes