Whats your turn off on a reborn?

Babies who look too perfect, both in painting and kit choice. Half the fun of the whole reborn thing is that these little goobers can look a mess just like real babies can, if I wanted a baby that looks like a doll I’d save myself a few hundred and go to Walmart.

7 Likes

@Marydi just posted a baby… her milk fits were perfect. A zit in the middle of the cheek or chin… just makes me want to pop it and add oxy10.
Milk dots are one thing … pimples are another. so don’t want them on my face or my ( fake) babies!!! :grinning:

11 Likes

Barely painted babies
Large white pimples
Unshaded nostrils
Shiny babies
Poorly rooted or painted hair
Heavily edited photos
Broomy lashes that are rooted to stick straight out

7 Likes

Omg yes the edited photos! I love the professional photo shoots, but some sellers edit the heck outta their photos. Makes ya wonder why lol

4 Likes

Poorly done painted hair, which in the last few years since I’ve been around consistently I feel like has taken off? it takes the realism of so many babies down. There are several I would have snatched up if they were bald!
Poorly rooted hair with massive plugs.
Large freckles or lots of freckles, a mole here and there is cute, but like no to freckles on babies under like 25".
eyebrows placed in the wrong spot or poorly done eyebrows.
eyes that look to wide eyed because they’re set with the pupil to low, this ones a big one for me.

6 Likes

Babies with no skin tones, just paleness with a little blushing that are “finished”
Scratches and cuts in the skin that look like the kid has been in a fight
Bright white tips on nails
Brows roaming around up on the forehead
Bushy rooted brows
Long thick hair on a newborn…enough to make 10" long ropes of braids all over the head…on a newborn
Lashes in the eyelid creases
Long thick straight line veins…surface veins don’t do that!
Crossed legs on a baby with the upper foot pointing up. The baby’s hip would have to be dislocated to be able to do that. Ouch!
Basically anything with posing that a real baby couldn’t do without being in pain makes me cringe.
“Up the nose photos” with the baby laying flat and lifeless

10 Likes

Yep, those too, especially with a silk flowers laying around. Reminds me I don’t want to say what.

4 Likes

Stark white milk spots. It looks like poor baby just had milk squirted on their face.
Rooted hair- it looks nice in pictures but I hate how messy it gets as soon as you move the reborn. I prefer well painted hair or just plain bald.
Bad photography. I’ve seen (non alternative) reborns being sold that look blue, green or just completely washed out due to bad lighting.
And then there’s the bad posing. I’ve come across sleeping newborns sitting in a chair at the dining room table (no high chair or anything, just a regular chair) and have even seen a sleeping newborn sitting on top of the closed lid of the toilet. :joy:
I also hate badly done darker skinned babies. If you’re a new to it and actually try, sure. But some people paint the reborn all over in the same shade of brown (some almost black) and call it a day.
And finally, I like alternatives, but some are just plain bad. There are artists that only do alternatives that are maybe one or two coats of paint. Painting a kit green and then assembling it isn’t art, imo. It just looks like you aren’t able or willing to try anything even remotely realistic.

Edit: I forgot one. I really don’t like when people leave that middle bit of the top lip a plain skin color. It looks so weird and unrealistic to me, even if the rest is beautifully painted. Just dab some lip color on there! Lol

7 Likes

And too many pics of the face with paci…ugg

Yes indeed, the poor thing !

5 Likes

I agree with all of these things and I have to add…
I HATE HATE HATE when people root lashes that completely curl upwards (like up to the brows) on a SLEEPING baby. Eyelashes on a sleeping baby lay almost flat down. I seriously cannot stand that. It’s not hard to look at a picture of a real baby and see that.
Can you tell I’m passionate about this??

12 Likes

I don’t know if this is a turn off but it irritates me. Also when there is no detailing.

I also don’t like pimples, I did milia for a customer that wanted it but I wont do it again. I also have tried scratches and I cant say that I dont like them on other babies but I suck at it so I wont be doing that again either :wink:

8 Likes

Hair that isn’t rooted in a pattern or rooted straight out of the head and pluggy. I also dislike babies that only looks like they have been painted with 1 color and no other details like just blushed, mottled and creased with red and that’s it.
Babies with a super red upper lip/under the nose area
Extremely dark red lips
And dolls that just look like they have been thrown on to a bed for photos

7 Likes

Wet appearance of noses and inside the ears. Looks like a sickly baby. Rooted brows!! To me, there are only a few artists that can achieve this. And lately I’ve been seeing a reddish color that extends beyond the upper lip line like they have been licking their whole upper lip in the dead of winter and it’s now chapped. Lol

5 Likes

Has already been mentioned, sleeping babies that are sitting up. I want to say seriously? And legs that are posed like they have a dislocated hip. I don’t know if I should call an ambulance or child protective services. I also dislike shiny babies, it totally makes them look like a doll.

7 Likes

I agree with alternative. Some are like : I can’t paint this kit realistic so I will slap some paint here and there and call it a zombie…

My zombies have taken me more work and time than my most beautiful reborn.

7 Likes

Me, too, because I’m going for as much realism as possible with this hobby. Otherwise, to me, it just looks like a doll. I so agree on the gunky nail tips, no shading (that’s like lacking bushing and depth), and milia that looks like paint dots on the face. As artists, we have to learn how to do these things with as much quality as possible. Some artists (including myself) are just not able to get that realistic milia look yet, so I avoid them on my babies. I’m not big on scratches either, but my recent Levi kit came with tiny green lines on his face, and had to cover them with little scratches.

7 Likes

I agree with you on the overly manicured nails. I never understand why lots of people make them sooooo white. When i do the nail tips i use thinning medium with the nail tip color added to it so the tips have more of a transparent look to them. This is some tips on a baby that i painted for someone at work.

i have to say i was very proud of myself :smiley:

19 Likes

Yes, like the baby’s brows have been tweezed. I do not like those either.

2 Likes

And mittens on non-cuddle babies - what are upi trying to hide there?

3 Likes

Oh my. You all just described my babies. Keep it up. I am learning a lot! This is what I love about the forum learning what not to do. I haven’t painted in a while but I love to watch all of the work here. I have Everly to paint for myself just waiting until holidays are over. I hope I feel like getting him painted then.

5 Likes