What do you mix your paint on or in?

I’ve seen that ceramic dishes should be used to mix your Genesis paints. I’ve been using plastic. I need to mix up a batch of paint. I don’t have a big enough plastic palette to use. Can I use a Dixie paper plate? I thought about putting a piece of foil over the plate, but not sure if the thinner will eat through the foil n or plate.

I’m gonna go to one on Monday. I usually go looking for baby stuff. Never even thought about looking for dishes for paint. Although I do look to see what dishes n glassware they have. I gotta remember to look At the dishes when I go thanks.

2 Likes

I agree with @sony the thrift shops have loads of dishes that are great to use for paint. I bought a large set of the Mason canning jars with lids. I like to use those for mixing my washes, mottles and flesh colors bc I always make more than I need. I also use candle holder jar/cup things I found at the thrift store and little glass dip dishes sold in a set from Micheal’s for like $3. I use a plastic paint pallet too though for mixing small amounts of colors, mine has a plastic cover for it and nothing has ever happened to my pallet or cover. @Kim_CustomDollBaby uses a plastic pallet with plastic lid too in her videos. I think its just a certain type of plastic your not supposed to use, Im not sure. But I use Genesis thinners and OMS with my ghsp in them.

2 Likes

I started with glass condiment holders; they’re really small bowls. I’ve been using plastic jars with lids. The paints mixed with liquid thinner have been fine but the paints mixed with Genenesis Thinning medium get gummy very quickly.

I recently got tiny glass jars with lids from Hobby Lobby. I’ll feel better having it all in glass containers.

3 Likes

I buy these fruits in jars (brand is polar). My kids eat the fruit, I save them to mix paint in.

4 Likes

I got my mixing bowls from Walmart, pyrex brand that comes with a lid. Ive also gotten glass bowls from dollar tree. The flat circle glass plate for candles works great too for mixing up thicker things like the matte varnish. I leave any left over on it and stick the whole thing into a ziplock bag for later use.

2 Likes

Baby food jars work nicely too. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve used different things, I did learn it will eat thru foam plates😛, however I do use plastic and glass, I just cover them good., and if a little dry I just add a little thinner

1 Like

I’m using plastic containers also. I think next time I go to hobby lobby, I’m gonna look for the glass ones.

2 Likes

I haven’t had that problem yet. I’m gonna get some glass containers tho.

Glass and ceramic are definitely the thing to use. Some plastics, like the one the palettes are made of, is fine, but you will never know until you try. If the paints or thinners break up the plastic then they also most likely absorb some of it, and may alter the curing process.
If buying ceramic dishes make sure they are WHITE or you will not be able to correctly judge what the colours you are mixing look like. The same reason I do not use glass for palette, but I do use glass jars for storing washes.

4 Likes

I used glass mixing bowls from dollar tree for my washes and for ever thing else I used a plastic palette. I never had any issues with the genesis eating through

1 Like

I use a plastic pallete but it seems to peel after a while, glass is better.

1 Like

Oh and I use a ton of the baby food jars too, stick a piece of masking tape on the lid to label what I mixed up. Sometimes you can find baby food for 30¢ so I buy a bunch, even if you don’t need the baby food in it, rinse it out and wash well.

2 Likes

I did that, but just bought baby applesauce. Added a bit of cinnamon sugar and had a tasty treat!

2 Likes

There ya go! Yeah I usually buy the bananas bc my niece and daughter love baby food bananas! :banana: :banana:

That is lovely, but I use just an ordinary white plates, put bit of paint on edges and thinners in the middle, and mix as needed. I have one plate for red, blue and purples, and another one for different shades of brown, and small one for green-yellow. There is no need for the little wells. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I use glass little bowls I bought at the dollar store and a ceramic plate I didn t use anymore. If I want to save the paint I just slide the plate or bowl in a Zipplod bag. :blush:

3 Likes

I do that too!

1 Like