What do you mix your paint on or in?

@mcurbelo Good idea!

1 Like

I mostly use a ceramic deviled egg dish. Also, for washes I use ceramic rammakins, as they hold more. For hair painting I use a Corelle Ware dessert plate.

2 Likes

The other day I bought those plastic ones you were talking about thinking oh I can cap it and save it without spills. They practically exploded from the thinner! Lesson learned.

1 Like

Sorry, I realize this is an old post but I just ran across it! I use these jars as wellā€¦I just started my reborning career and mixed up my paints for the first time tonight in these. I just have the primary colors for washes mixed up and will start the painting tomorrow. I was wondering how you determine that you have enough paint vs thinner? I will add a picture of what my mixture looks like but Iā€™m worried my paint may be too dark or too light. Do you have any pictures or a video of what it looks like? My red seems to be darker than the yellow or blue but you can see the color when you scrape the brush against the lip of the jar.

1 Like

4 oz canning jars. They are glass and they seal pretty tight. Great for mottling. mine came with labels for the lids.

I just recently started using baby food containers, very inexpensive. I use Golden acrylic, donā€™t like using plastic, they stain and are harder to re-use. Before the switch I used the Ball jars in the small sizes. Iā€™m frugal so I do wash and use againā€¦

Are you using odorless mineral spirits as thinner? Or thinning medium?

Iā€™m using odorless paint thinner. The Mona Lisa brand

I love your setup for the primary washes. What do you use when you need another color? A palette?

1 Like

I used GHSP and usually Gamsol and I mix colors on a couple of clear glass egg plates I found in a thrift store. Washes are mixed in clear glass custard cups. I always use a white puppy pad on my work surface so I can see colors well. White glass would work as well. I tried using plastic but it was a hot messā€¦never again!

1 Like

Thank you! Yeah, I have two pallets and some small mixing bowls to use for other colors that I donā€™t use quite as much :blush: