WHAT a day.....grrrrrrrrrrr

Okay, I think I’m pretty easy to get along with. I take a lot of pride in my work, have been doing this for a hundred years and like to think I probably know what I’m doing. SO: a person joined Ebay “just to buy your beautiful baby.” OMG. I should’ve seen the red flag right there. I did not. After all, I ask that people with 0-10 FB notify me that they are serious bidders before placing a bid or I reserve the right to cancel the bid. Alrighty then. She bought the baby, paid immediately, and I thought I had dodged a bullet, so to speak.

NOPE.

She messaged me to say that she wants her doll to weigh as much as possible, the heavier the better…she wants heavy arms, heavy legs, and a lot of weight in the torso. Don’t you LOVE it??? :expressionless:

I message her back letting her know that I’ll be happy to add more weight to the body but that I have already put fine glass beads half-way up to the elbows and knees and will not be adding more because too much weight can seriously compromise the joints and can also make the limbs fall in an unnatural way if they are too heavy. (Like, ask me HOW I know these things…duh…) Same thing with her head, it’s already weighted and I am not comfortable putting MORE weight in the head. I like my NB heads floppy but not ridiculously so, like the head shouldn’t weigh more than the body, you know?

She tells me that she wants the baby to weigh as much as possible and hopes that she has chosen the right baby.

Yep. I can totally see a refund in the not too distant future. NOT my best day. Not at all. Thanks for listening if you made it this far.

2 Likes

Geeeeez! She saw pictures of your baby, if she wanted something different… There are other choices I’m sure! I agree with your GRRRRRR! Like you didn’t do it perfectly the first time!!!

1 Like

Just curious…was the weight of the doll in the listing?

Groannnn… Keep is posted on this.

1 Like

If this is a finished baby, then she bought the baby you were selling and really has no right to ask you for changes. If she does, then you have a right to charge more!

7 Likes

Yes, I listed her weight in the listing, as always. I normally weight my babies around 4 1/2 lbs with the major part of the weight being glass beads in a bag in the head and polyfill & pellets in a bag in the bottom, more polyfill, & glass beads to either the wrists or elbows, depending on the sculpt, topped w/polyfill. A 4 1/2 lb reborn actually feels like a 6+ lb. baby in my opinion.

I, too, am wondering WHY she wants it so heavy??? WTH??? I’ve finished putting her back together and have told the person that her baby now weighs over 6 lbs, which is WAY more than my babies normally weigh and I mentioned again that the arms and legs cannot be weighted too heavily since it might cause problems with the joints, etc.

Waiting now to hear what she has to say, if anything. I should have seen the 0 FB and the date and ran for the hills…which is pretty much where I’ll be heading if she receives this baby and wants a refund because it’s not heavy enough.

I KNOW buyers have to start somewhere, we were all 0 FB bidders in the beginning, but WHY did she have to start with ME!!! LOL…probably because no one else would sell her their baby because they are smarter than I am. ACK!!!

1 Like

I hope it works out, Karen. :smile:

1 Like

Thanks, Amy ~ we’ll see. I was telling my husband about it when he called this morning from work and he said to just put a brick in her body if that’ll make her happy because hey, the customer is always RIGHT. He hung up very quickly when I told him I didn’t think he was funny. Now that I think about it, though, it was kind of funny. :wink:

Just hope she understands my reasoning on the limbs. If she doesn’t I guess I’ll be refunding her.

3 Likes

LOL! That sounds like my hubby! He’ll sometimes laughs at something I’ve done (dropped eggs, etc) and I’ll look at him and say “That’s not funny”. I now add “yet” because I know I’ll eventually laugh at it. The brick idea is funny. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Gee whiz, Karen, I hope that you don’t have any more problems with this. I would have told her that it would cost extra for the extra weighting. You never know what you are going to run into. I get tired of all the crazy messages I get from hopeful buyers with no feedback and strikes against them wanting me to just trust them even though they messed up the last time because they didn’t know how eBay works or didn’t know when the doll auction went off so didn’t know to pay and yada yada yada. That’s it, I got it out of my system. I’ll smile and be nice. My fingers are crossed for you.

4 Likes

@kareninflorida - I would include a zip tie for the neck and tell her that she can add additonal weighing in the body with BBs from Walmart in a stocking and then replace the head. Just really is ridiculous that she didn’t ask before bidding on the baby. UGH!

2 Likes

Sometimes its hard to please every one
chin up everything will work out fine
ooooo

2 Likes

I had a lady ask me to do this with one of my bigger babies…she wanted it to weigh between 8-9 lb.

I messaged her back and told her to get 2 five lb bags of flour or sugar…stack them…wrap them in a blanket
and carry them around for a little while…I explained that a real baby is not “dead weight”…but a doll IS.

It wasn’t an hour and she messaged me back…she said the weight of my baby would be JUST FINE!!! LOL

13 Likes

Sure hope you don’t have any more grief from this buyer !!

3 Likes

Good one

1 Like

Karen , sometimes you just can’t fix stupid no matter what you do trying to make someone happy. I do like your husbands idea using a brick. Just think that still might not be heavy enough. LOL!!! I think I will have a glass of wine for ya along with one for me as my day seemed to be about like yours. :wine_glass:

3 Likes

No, you cannot do that. You can only set it so people with low FB who are not phone verified cannot bid, but the moment they get their account verified they can bid with 0 FB.

I have people often want to have the doll heavier; they want them to weigh as much as real baby; I always tell them to go to a shop and pick up 3 or 4 bags of sugar (1kg each = 2 pounds) and then come back and tell me they want a doll to weigh so much. They all change their mind. Sometimes I might add just another small amount of glass beads to the body for them.

2 Likes

I do not think it is really fair for someone to ask you to make changes to a doll that was on Ebay. It was not being sold as a custom baby. Some people just like heavier babies. My doll I made in memory of my son does weigh 10 pounds. He weighed 10.7 and was stillborn. Maybe that is her reasoning?!?!? So far my doll’s joints have been just fine, but I do not wag him around or change his clothes all the time.

Regardless I don’t think anyone has the right to ask you to change a completed baby. I know I couldn’t do it…I do not have extra parts for that.

Good luck dear… I hope it all works out for the best.

~Mandy

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for all your comments; you guys are the BEST!

I feel a lot better about this now; I heard back from her and she said:

“So excited, can’t wait to see her!”

So maybe all will be well…either way, it won’t be the end of the world. I feel very fortunate to have been on Ebay for 13 years and only had 3 or 4 crazies out of the lot.

6 Likes

Mmmm Thinking the same as Honojane. The weight was stipulated and if it didn’t suit…don’t buy it! Find a listing of a heavier bub. Not that I’m wishing you out of a sale…not at all…just saying! Sure hope it works out ok for you.

3 Likes