Update on using Miracle Milk in baby bottles

A lady on DF posted this comment: http://www.doll-fan.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=366735&p=3269262#p3269262

As a retired chemist, I decided to do an experiment. I added a few drops of iso propyl alcohol, a.k.a. rubbing alcohol to stablize the Miracle Milk. I did it the day before Easter, and every bottle is still nice and soluble. Now, of course, eventually, the bottles will need to be replenished, as with fabric softener. Unless homogenized, any emulsion will eventually break and separate, but to me, it’s worth it. It’s so much easier than using fabric softener, and if you use vanilla extract to add a brownish color, there’s alcohol already in it

The alcohol is an interesting idea to me.

I dumped out all the milk I made up that I had in plastic bottles because I was concerned it might damage the plastic after reading the comments of others about the ring around the bottles. However, I have one glass bottle that is my own display bottle and I left the miracle milk in it. It has been a week now and I have noticed that it does settle some and it does leave a ring at the top as it settles BUT once I shake the bottle up again that all goes away and it looks good as new! I like how when it is shaken it makes air bubbles just like real milk does. I really like the look of it overall. So I think for using in a glass bottle so far it is ok with this product and just replacing it as it wears out. I am going to try putting some in a plastic bottle with the drop of alcohol and see how that does.

I also had another reborn lady to tell me that she has tried another brand that she feels works better than the Miracle Milk. It is called Tex Milk and she gets it off Amazon. She said the Tex Milk seems to stay mixed better for her and does not seem as prone to leave a ring around the top. She also said she heats the distilled water up before adding the Tex Milk to it as that somehow is supposed to make it work better. So that is something to try if you are interested as well.

7 Likes

Thanks for the update! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Love the milk Tex I have! Got it for $4 from Amazon from big guys magic shop and when you sign up for the news letter you get $10 off your next order so I order two more and that made them practically free! Win!

3 Likes

I know this is a really old post but I am bringing it back up because the glass bottle I filled with Miracle Milk and water here in 2016 is STILL sitting in my nursery and looks fine. I do have to shake it up regularly as it separates some but it has not gone “bad”. I took this picture the other day with it next to some vintage bottles I just got in to make.

10 Likes

I’m not certain if their recipe changed over the years, but about 2 years ago, I bought some and made up bottles. 6 months later I had to throw them all out… they literally looked like clabbered milk!

I just recently bought a new bottle of the TexMilk. I have a bottle made up to watch and see how it does between now and June. Then I will decide if I want to use it or just stick with my lotion water mix for the vintage glass bottles I take to sell. I use lotion mix in the plastic ones due to the oil ring sometimes etching into them. It is my understanding that the fake milk products is supposed to be some kind of machine oil that will mix with water somewhat and turns white. Of course, it being oil based explains why it separates after it sits a while. I can’t remember if I added some alcohol to the bottle above. I put a little vanilla extract in the new one I just mixed up.

3 Likes

I am so interested in following this journey!

I have milk tex and have made up a few bottles for my niece, but eventually I will probably have to replace them. We used plastic bottles from our local thrift shop and the no-hole nipples from BB. I made them back in June and the one I have looks great after shaking but I’ve never used alcohol or vanilla extract in them before! I’ll have to try it next time I mix some up.

I will tell you all that I am finding that even the DAP Aquarium proof silicone does not hold up over time in these new brown nipples that come with the Similac and Enfamil rings. So if you use the no-hole nipples works best. However, for some of the older vintage bottles I wanted a nipple that looked more like the old ones so I am going to put a silicone disc over the bottle top and then screw on the cap with the nipple. I just ordered some new ones to try and will let you all know how it works. I know it works fine with the plastic discs that come with some bottles. Not going to bother with trying to seal the nipple with the silicone since it does not work long term. Putting a disc over the cap will work fine and since you can’t see the milk go up in the brown nipples it does not matter that it doesn’t.

4 Likes

@anjsmiles where did you find all of your vintage glass formula bottles? They used to send these home from the hospital when my kids were babies!

Yea, they are hard to find. I got these off Ebay but you have to search for affordable ones. Some of them run $10 each plus shipping. They may come with some crazing or slight staining. Usually when filled with milk this is not noticeable. Vintage is not perfect.

1 Like

Visual for today. First bottle on left made this morning. 2nd one yesterday. 3rd one Tuesday. 2nd photo shows close up of how the oil separates some and clings to side of bottle after sitting a while. 3rd photo is after I shook it up again.

2 Likes

Is the dark nipple on the 3rd bottle a no hole nipple?

Nope. It is one of the brown nipples that comes with the yellow Similac rings. Those nipples will not hold silicone long term. So on this one I put the black disc under it that goes with the top. I am actually keeping this bottle. It has Davol in blue on the other side and measurement markings.

2 Likes

I cannot understand what those brown nipples are made of as I’ve tried every silicone and glue on the market and can’t get anything to stick long term inside the nipple! They’re resistance to anything sticky!

Could it be made from natural latex? I know latex inhibits a lot of glues and silicone based adhesives, that could be the issue if you haven’t already considered it. Rubber cement works for gluing latex, but it is also made from it.

1 Like

I have ordered some silicone discs to put on top of the bottles before I screw those lids on. Going to see how that works. They are taking forever to get here though. Got off Ebay but they coming from China.

2 Likes

I tried sourcing the old plastic travel discs from when my kids were little that came with Evenflo bottles but the only ones I could find were outrageous!
Let me know how the silicone discs work!

1 Like

No, they are latex free.

*edited to add that they are technically surgical grade plastic, which is a type of thermoplastic elastomer, bpa and latex free

1 Like

Ok here is my latest update. The Tex milk is fine in the glass bottles. It does leave a slight ring at the top that mostly disappears when shaken but not totally. It is not bad though. I am going to mix up a new bottle with some off white cocoa butter lotion I got cheap at Walmart and see how it does sitting. I will post pics tomorrow when I do that. I got my discs today to try out as well, but they did not send me what I ordered. What I ordered was these ones, silicone:

What they actually sent me are black and I am pretty sure are the rubber ones they also sell. They are called EPDM rubber in their other listings. I looked that up and it is a latex free rubber so I guess they will be safe to use. The disc is slightly larger than my bottle rims but seem to fit ok in the rings. I ordered the 38mm. I will know more when I actually put one in and fill the bottle then screw the cap on to test for leaking. I may need to trim them down a tad. I will post that all tomorrow when I make up the lotion formula. Here are photos of what I actually got. I did write them to tell them that I think they sent me the wrong thing. Will see what they say but not going to try to send them back as it took so long to get them.

1 Like

I just used regular old Elmer’s school crafty glue watered down?. Its been years in the sealed bottles and it looks good as new after a few shakes.

2 Likes