Update Front Page on Reborns

Yeah. The used lower-priced dolls are competing against artists selling nice new dolls that cost more because it cost to create them and they’re nice and new. And deciding to do this before Christmas is just not a good thing, at all.

From what I’m seeing, the current Nursery Showcase appears to have non-artist used doll sellers being featured. This is why I don’t use the word “nursery” in my title any more. Nursery, to me, used to mean artists who paint reborns, not people who sell second-hand reborns once they get tired of them.

4 Likes

Is anyone complaining on the chat board over there? I don’t want to pay $20 right now that I am not actively selling so I can’t see. I just can’t imagine that the majority is happy with this.

2 Likes

No one is really saying much. A couple said they liked it and someone said pre-owned should be the last category then someone said pre-owned sellers pay the same membership fees and shouldn’t be pushed down the page. I don’t know if people quit posting after that cause they can tell it’s going to stir up shiit or no one really cares. :woman_shrugging:

6 Likes

The site is very difficult for new buyers to understand. I have a friend who just started having interest in Reborns and she texted me to ask me all kinds of questions about the site because she was totally lost. Here were some of her questions:
Why are some doll “featured” and some not?

What’s the difference between “showcase” dolls and “featured” dolls?

Are all dolls from Artists?

These are things NEW buyers don’t understand. Why is Dave making it so complicated? It’s hard enough as is to sell a Doll anymore, and now all this. I don’t get it. $20 a month isn’t cheap when you have to sell the doll yourself basically IMO

4 Likes

Would yo consider putting this on his question board? I think it clearly describes the problem with what he has done and it is coming from someone who is new to the site. She is saying exactly what I have thought, a new person to Reborns would think and be completely confused and might even loose interest
On another question for his site, didn’t many artist on here get upset, including me when he started listing pre-owned dolls and we tried to change his mind to no avail? My computer is showing them whether I change the feature on the right or not🤢. It irradiates me when I see them and from what I can see the prices seem very high even on BB kits. Also I don’t think there is much or any value in paying extr to feature there so many listings of all the different types of dolls and kits that there is only about two lines of each doll. I know there is a next page but even that seem confusing.

4 Likes

People selling alternatives pay the same membership fee as well but they got put in a separate section so why should second hand dolls be any different? These new changes are detrimental to sales, IMO.

6 Likes

Exactly. And alternatives are newly painted dolls why would they be put near the bottom while pre-owned are above. Pre-owned does have a separate section and so does featured nurseries and both are near the top of the page ahead of Reborns Showcase, Alternative Reborns, and Custom Made Reborns.

2 Likes

I don’t even understand all this stuff and I’ve been a member for almost 5 years, it’s crazy. What I would like to see is a simple legitimate site where Artists can sell there Art. No feathers, showcases, nurseries, just plain and simple listings. Where new customers can just see and look for legitimate, artist made Reborns.

3 Likes

Amen to that.

1 Like

I just had my husband bring up the Reborns site on his phone so I could see what it looks like to someone who is not a member. I have 2 dolls listed, neither featured or on the front page.

I wondered how a potential buyer would find them.

I typed Karen’s Kreations in the search bar and got " no results found" hmmmm…typed in Karen Potter and got the same thing. Soooo basically I don’t exist to the outside world unless they manage to catch one of my dolls in the feature scroll for the few hours they scroll by. OR they have to be savvy enough to click “nurseries” and search for me that way. Another option would be if they saw my link on FB and clicked, OR just a random buyer happens to type in the names of the dolls I have listed in the search bar. That’s a lot of “what ifs” to expect from a random buyer.

Interesting. Kind of aggravating.

696 sellers right now and over 3,600 listings?? No wonder my dolls aren’t selling.

Yet I keep painting and listing :thinking:

9 Likes

It works for me. (maybe it depends what search criteria you have selected?)
Maybe Dave doesnt know it doesnt work for all phones?

Desktop

Phone

3 Likes

ALL I typed was “Karen”

Interesting :thinking: Good to know.

1 Like

This being the first thing seems very overwhelming.
I do not think sold items or accessories/kits should be included in the total

33,847 reborn dolls from 697 artists & collectors

3 Likes

Right. That’s way overwhelming :astonished:

Maybe that number changes if I change what I see on the site? But new buyers/lookers wont know that.

*** IT is :slight_smile:

I unselected seeing sold items and the total dropped to 3900 ish

2 Likes

A couple of years ago I worried when there were over 800 for sale. I knew nothing :joy:

6 Likes

I noticed this last night and thought it was only me seeing them.

I totally agree. That makes no sense. I doubt there are close to 30,000 reborn doll purchasers in the world. And accessories, sold items, and kits should be listed separatelly.

I suspect that Dave is feeling the economic pinch due to the rest of us not selling babies as easily as we used to. So, I am wondering if he put the used dolls at the top because he knows they often sell for less than brand new ones, and he sees it as an easier, faster way to make money if he sees that new ones are not selling as well. This doesn’t work for us who paint new babies, and so if this is why he has the re-sell dolls near the top then it is to some extent making the site a “used doll first” kind of place, which is not going to work for those of us who need a place to sell new babies. Because the re-sell dolls are near the top and will be seen first, that might be what most people end up looking at due to economy/financial reasons. This would mean that our new babies will sell less over time if more people gravitate more toward the re-sell dolls. It becomes almost a conflict of interest for him to have both re-sell dolls on there alongside new ones, because of people looking for cheaper dolls right now. The cheaper “used” dolls will be seen first and many may not look past that, and they will not see our new babies that we are struggling, as it is, to sell at a fair price right now.

eBay stopped working new babies and is now a counterfeit and re-sell place when it comes to reborns. If Dave is going to ruin Reborns this way then it’s not worth selling there either. My husband has been wondering why I’m still painting reborns, due to the economy/market. I told him it’s because I still enjoy it and it helps me relax and have a creative outlet. But I always sold my babies, since 2013, and now sales are so bad. Dave needs to help us or he will run sellers off, and then he won’t won’t be able to continue with his site either. No sellers, no money. If he prevents us from being successful then he won’t be able to be successful either. This is so frustrating. I was hoping to finally sell Kai at Christmas, and now that’s probably not going to be likely since he gets no views with everything set up this way.

4 Likes

Last night I did not select to see pre-owned dolls and yet they were popping up in the listings I had selected. I don’t like this.

1 Like

Does that have to do with the filters you’ve already set though? Her husband is coming in brand new with the reborn site starting from scratch, if he doesn’t know about all the filters then he doesn’t get all the search results.

2 Likes