Traveling Internationally with Reborn

Hello,

I am leaving from the USA to Scotland to visit my fiance’s family for 2 months. I feel that is a long time without any of my babies, so I want to bring one. I am trying to figure out would it be okay…TSA is my main concerns, especially with international travels.

I have watched youtube videos on it and read some boards, but there wasn’t many personal experiences or tips.

Has anyone traveled with a reborn in their carry on, especially internationally. The one I want to bring is a full torso anatomically correct, and if they take him apart or may, I don’t know if I’d want to. I rather just bring one of my other ones.

Would the glass beads be an issue? I know they are used to seeing dolls and all sorts of weird things going through customs. I just want to collect more personal experiences to see if I’d be comfortable enough.

Thank you!

2 Likes

I brought one through customs (US to CANADA) with no issues. Had him in my carry-on bag. They took him out to scan him; one officer loved him, the other ran away, shuddering, lol

4 Likes

Yes all my non-dolly friends find the realism unsettling so I make a point of regularly sending WIP of just a doll head to desensitize them :joy:

5 Likes

I never travel by plain with reborn and I don’t know if you are flying direct it with connections to Scotland, but I know from my experience that London has the harshest security and also they move so slooooooow. We once missed the flight because of them. So you also need to consider your connection airports if you don’t fly direct.

2 Likes

Im taking a Harry Potter (newborn Joseph awake) home to the US with me from France in October. He is a gift for my adult niece who is a huge HP fan. I am thinking of putting him in my carry on as well.

1 Like

One woman on Instagram - I can’t remember who, maybe someone else does? - flew with a reborn in her carry-on a few months ago, and it went quite badly. They took him apart and then still required her to purchase a box, package him, and have him checked as luggage. That’s the only time I’ve ever heard of such an issue, but it was enough to completely turn me off from flying with reborns unless they’re in my checked luggage.

1 Like

We had no problem taking babies from Canada to Europa ( Hungary and Romania)

1 Like

I took one to Iceland and Norway with no problems. My daughter had her on her hand the hole time so it was kind of easy. They firlgure it was just a toy. They only bother of a little in JFK. They scan her baby alone :grin: but that was it.
When I went to to florida for the teddy and doll convention we carry 3. I send 2 under and I took one in a carry on bag. They made me take the one in the carryon out at florida on the way back home.
I always carry some of the beads and extra cable tied just in case. I wouldnt want to take my baby apart at the airpor, but if I have too I have cable ties to put the baby back together

2 Likes

Thanks so much for all the replies everyone! It helped me gain more comfort. I think I am going to go ahead and take my Ollie. Just hoping I don’t get the people who’d wanna take him apart. I guess i’ll bring a ziplock bag just in case of that with ties.

Are reborns usually okay in the suitcase (the luggage bag that goes under) if I put it in a box or something? I’m worried about it being so hot or temperature sensitivity.

I travel for work and I often take doll parts with me to paint during down time. I haven’t had any problems but I have not taken a fully made doll either. I do get a lot of crazy looks when I’m rooting hair on a plane though. I usually keep the parts near me in a small carry on bag. I have even paid an extra fee to do so.
My niece brought a doll I made her onto a plane and they scanned it but they didn’t give her problem. An older woman kept telling her she needed to hold that baby’s head before it got hurt. She kept telling my sister she didn’t need to let her daughter hold a baby like that. :joy:

3 Likes

LOL. I can see that :rofl: When I root mohair is everywhere around me!
I would give you a look also :wink:

It’s a rarity but sometimes I have no choice. Some months I need all the time I can get. They will let most sewing needles on a plane so I put two in a sewing kit. I usually lay a baby blanket in my lap to catch any stray hairs.

1 Like

@Menagerie6302 I’ll have several long flights this summer. Do you know if they will allow a crochet hook in the carry on?

I bought crochet hooks many times in my carry on without any issue. I think as long as it has yarn with it it should be cool, but they never said anything about my crochet hooks.

1 Like

@913gigi44 Great! Thank you!

1 Like

I wraped mines with blankets and sorounded them with clothes. The only problem was the eyelashes. One of my baby’s eyelashes were a mess after the trip. I didn’t go prepare for that, so he was a mess the whole trip.

Take your baby on the plane she would be safer by your side, just prepare your self for the worst. Something to hold the stuffing that they could ask you to take out, cable ties in case you have to put the baby back together, a small sample of the stuffing material, and anything else people recomend. Have fun.

1 Like

I made a baby for my sister in law and she took him carry on. They swabbed his face and leg with alcohol just like they do real babies. I had read alcohol can remove the paint. Luckily that didn’t happen but I was pretty concerned

1 Like

I would bring a baggie filled with the glass and show them what the doll is filled with so they do not have to pull it apart. And then bring extra zip ties.

1 Like

I would also bring samples of what is inside the baby. You can get small baggies at Walmart in the jewelry making supplies.

1 Like

My mother in law went on two trips with me and brought her crochet hook.

2 Likes