Toledo Doll show

Has anyone in Ohio been to the Toledo Doll show? I found out about it late, it’s next month (Oct. 23rd). I have been stockpiling babies for Christmas, unintentionally really, due to slow sales. But just came across it and was thinking about registering and going but was kind of wondering if it’s worth it. I know they have a lot of antique/collectible dolls in addition to Reborns and other types.

http://www.toledodollshow.com/

1 Like

Thank you for sharing this! I want to check some of these out! So many just a short drive from me!

I did hear gossip that doll show people are NOT the same as reborn people and they didn’t look to kindly with people closing the show floor with strollers with fake babies cause it was weird and encroached on thier personal space and shopping experience kwim? From what I “heard” there aren’t a lot of reborns at all. So it may be worth going and reaching an untapped market or it might be the wrong audience. None of the descriptions say anything about reborns just reproductions antiques and bears… no mention of fashion dolls or miniatures either. Might be worth attending and checking out before becoming a vendor?

2 Likes

Your welcome! I’ve been looking all over for doll shows around here and always find them like the day after :wink: I just registered and am going to go for the first time, it was $95, so I figure if I don’t sell at all, it wasn’t too big of an investment just to see and maybe get a customer or 2 out of it down the road. They description says Antique, Vintage, Artist & Modern dolls and critters, I wasn’t sure if Artist dolls reffered to Reborns so emailed the event to see if I should go, if Reborns were a thing there. The only person I talked to about it was the event coordinator. She said that there was one reborn artist show before last (they do 2 shows a year), that artist did very well, and that last show “many” customers came looking for Reborns but there were no reborn vendors. I’m not counting on it 100% since she obviously could have been just trying to get me to register, but maybe there will be people who didn’t even know they were interested in Reborns until seeing some in person. I hope that some of you guys near me will come check it out!

4 Likes

Wow! I’m new to Ohio so I had no clue this exhausted! Thanks so much for sharing! Who’s going so far?

4 Likes

I plan on going.

2 Likes

That’s fantastic! I hope to see you there :slight_smile: Are you going as a vendor also or just going?

1 Like

I’m just going to to be going. I just found out about it when you posted it.

1 Like

I wonder if this is the same show that is affiliated with a doll show group that sends me emails from time to time. I’ve emailed them several times to ask if they have any reborn artists attend their shows, and I never get a reply. :grimacing:

1 Like

I had the same experience with the Ohio National Doll Show, in Wilmington. I emailed them 4 times to ask the exact same question and never received any response at all. When I emailed this one I got a response in 30 minutes. It obviously could be the same one, but I wonder if we didn’t get responses from the same one.

1 Like

If this is the Toledo Doll Show I am thinking of I was a vendor.I believe it was in 2017. It is the Toledo Doll, and Bear Show. We were out in the main lobby. I still get emails, post cards of when they have their shows. There were 4 of us reborners that were vendors there. We were at the Stranahan Theater at that time. They have changed locations since then.
There were ladies that came in with their reborn babies in strollers.

4 Likes

Did you make any sales? I know it was several years ago, if it was the same show. I’m trying to figure out pricing and such. I don’t know if I need to lower my regular prices for this area. In my experience living here, incomes are so much lower than almost everywhere else. I don’t know if people who go to these shows have the money or are willing to spend higher amounts. That probably sounds terrible, I didn’t mean it to sound that bad, I just don’t know how else to word it. Pricing is more difficult I think since it’s only a one day show, it’s not like I can adjust prices on day 2 if day one didn’t work out.

1 Like

So I’m going ready for the show on Saturday and was wondering for those that have gone to doll shows, do you guys dress your reborns? Or just display them in onesies? I was thinking onesies would be better for people to see details, but was wondering about greasy hands…

1 Like

I was gonna go, but I decided to stay home. I had my 2 young grandkids the last 2 Saturdays. I don’t wanna spend this Saturday out anywhere. I just wanna stay home n have rest, peace n quiet. I work 12 hours on sundays. Good luck n have fun. Take pictures if you can.

1 Like

Well I’m sorry I’ll miss you, but glad you will get what sounds like some much needed rest :slight_smile: I hope you have a very relaxing weekend and I’ll definitely take pictures.

1 Like

Can’t wait to see pics @Emma glad you are going.

1 Like

Thank you. I thought about it n thought about it. I was really looking forward to going. Saturdays are only my real whole day off. I didn’t wanna spend half the day driving n touring the show.

1 Like

I may try to make it next year. Toledo is about a little over an hour from me. This year wasn’t a good one for going, as we have moved and are still settling in. But it would be fun to plan to go next year. Some of us could meet up.

2 Likes

You definitely should! Well I guess I’ll say for sure after tomorrow, I’ve never been to a doll show, and have no idea how good this one will be. But if it’s good I’ll definitely go next year also. Toledo is an hour drive for me also.

1 Like

Are you in Mich or Ohio? I’m in Mich. I hope it goes great for you and ends up being fun. If more of us artists that live within a few hours of it can start going to it, maybe we can make it more of a venue that includes reborns. We are a special nook in the dolly world. :blush:

I’m in Ohio, I live in Lima (the armpit of Ohio I’m told), I’ve only been here a few years now, and it’s definitely… different. The show organizer had told me before that there were only a couple reborn artists that have participated, and customers who do come looking for reborns. I’m hoping that’s true, but if not it would be amazing if we could join forces and make it a good show for reborn artists. I know there are bigger shows in Columbus or Cleveland, I just missed them this year. I don’t know how big this show will be, it’s in a sports arena and there are 50 something vendors, so I’m cautiously optimistic. But I will definitely take pictures and let you guys know how it is, and hopefully next year, or another show around here, with more time to plan we can do something together!

1 Like