Thinners Bob Ross or Mona Lisa?

I’ve been using Mona Lisa but have been getting headaches and moments where my ear hurts. I don’t know if they are phantom pains since I’m thinking of the thinner when I’m using it. Does anyone else get slight headaches? Would Bob Ross br safer to use? I’ve been painting for 2 years and am concerned about long term health effects.

1 Like

I’m not sure if Bob Ross is safer, but I know Gamsol is safer. Also, unless you are using it keep it covered, because the gas it let’s off is invisible and odorless, and it won’t stop letting off gas so it builds up. You can also open a window and point a fan so that any gas is being pushed outside, or some even use a gas mask.

2 Likes

try the museum thinner from macphersons

1 Like

The thinner is definitely not good for your health. Some people wear a mask when they use it, while others made the switch to air dry for health reasons.
You should always use it in a well ventilated area, like near an opened window.

1 Like

I don’t get headaches but the smell of the vinyl cooking bothers my breathing a little. And if the Mona Lisa touches my skin, it peels off the next day.

1 Like

The vinyl heating up is what makes it toxic. The paint, so I have been told, is nontoxic, but the vinyl is toxic when it gets hot. I have never done Genesis, and I don’t think I every will.

1 Like

I used heat set on my first doll but the fumes and the odor of the thinner gave me such a bad headache and affected my breathing that I just switched to air dry. I got light headed too but I am not certain if that was caused by the fumes or not.

1 Like

Yeah I also heard air dry isn’t the best with fumes either. Looks like I lose either way. I’ll use my ventilation mask and continue to keep the room eventuates and let me parts cool all the way down in the oven before taking them out. Thanks everyone.

“Ventilate” autocorrect :frowning:

1 Like

What fumes? I have never noticed any.

3 Likes

I haven’t noticed any fumes with genesis or baking------I did however notice lots of fumes with the air dry (babyfx) and mediums. Weird how different paints and thinners effects us all differently.

1 Like

I had to stop using Mona Lisa because it gave me headaches too and also affected my vision. I use Grumbacher thinner - can’t smell it and it doesn’t bother me at all.

2 Likes

I’ve used only air dry and I have no odors at all. I do have a sensitive nose. But, so far so good.

I noticed a weird smell with air dry. And I’m so happy to be away from primers and matte fluid it’s not even funny.

If it bothers your skin you should wear gloves :slight_smile: You can get a big pack pretty cheap at the drug store.

1 Like

Yeah I need to stop being so cheap! My skin is sensitive and not enjoying the winter at all.

I have used mona lisa and gamsol thinner and haven’t noticed any smell while painting.

I do smell the vinyl when heated. I use an off brand oven with glass dome and get no headache or anything… when I used my nuwave it made me feel sick. I only used it about 5 times… it started cracking on the second use.

I have also used reborn fx and do not smell anything when painting with that either

I am very sensitive to perfume, soap, candles, air freshener, incense, cologne, deodorants, etc makes it hard to breath… like there is weight on my chest…
as well as things with rubber… like hoses, shoes, tires etc. Makes me sick - nauseous.
I dont get an issues while painting though… lol

What brand oven do you have?

Right now a Roswell or something. They are smaller but I feel better when I bake kits.

I prefer magic chef brand though mine lasted 2 years and was only $30. But couldn’t find one to buy when I needed a new one… when it broke I bought a nuwave… which cracked and stinks. So I bought the roswill…

I also bought air dry reborn fx after the nuwave cracked.

1 Like

I know exactly what you mean now. I bought a nuwave and that thing smells horrible! Maybe I should get one to cook food in. Should be a great appetite suppressant. :joy:

2 Likes