Stripping kits

What do you guys use to strip kits painted with Genesis?
I am stripping a little 10” baby right now and, sheesh! I now know why nobody likes stripping kits and just gives them away. Lol.
I had no plans of stripping this one, but being I use her for my 10” patterns, I have a vision for her now and want to be able to photograph my little clothes on her.
So far I have stripped her head with non acetone polish remover. Is this a newbie mistake?

You should use Windsor and Newton brush cleaner. Try a tooth brush to get inside tiny grooves

3 Likes

I will look into that. Thank you!

I used a regular sponge (like a dish sponge) and pure alcohol on my first kit like 3 times and it took everything off, learned that by accident, but I think her vinyl was a silicone blend, it worked. Here is a photo of how I learned that alchohol takes it’s down to vinyl, lol

2 Likes

Lol. I’ve had that happen too.

2 Likes

Great ! It’s not a good idea to use acetone because it can melt or damage the vinyl. Also it will often make it slick and cause the paint not to adhere well. You may need to use a layer of matt before painting`

2 Likes

They rubbed a doll I sold with alcohol at the airport. Hope it was a different kind of alcohol …I need to check in with her.

1 Like

Paint not sticking is exactly what I’m worried about.
It is coming off though. It’s just taking a lot of scrubbing. Alcohol seemed to help just now after washing it with dawn.

4 Likes

Love this forum that matte varnish tip is golden!

3 Likes

My girls tell me I’m “so extra” because I wash my kits in a baby tub lol. Anyone else find themselves treating their kits like real babies?

7 Likes

Yes! I dont have a tub but I use the sink, it’s my first opportunity to familiarize myself with the contours, I wash very thoughtfully, lol

2 Likes

I am new at reborning. When you wash the kits do you submerge the kit? I have also heard not to get the inside of the kit wet also. How do you wash your kits.

3 Likes

Well, I’m pretty new myself but I wash them in soapy water then dry them well, I dont begin to paint until they are good and dry inside and out (I put them out on a towel). I hadn’t heard about not wetting the inside, what did you hear about that?

2 Likes

That is an adorable kit, worth the work. What sculpt is it?

2 Likes

I submerge mine but in a large bucket, in the tub. That is cute in the baby bath though!

2 Likes

Sometimes I submerge, other times I don’t. It just depends on the condition of the kit. Being I stripped this kit, I fully submerged it to make sure I got all of the paint remover off.
I blow a hair dryer inside the limbs for a few minutes and then I let them sit to dry for a day or two.
I think as long as your kit is fully dry before assembly, it’s ok to submerge. And it takes a long time for me to paint my kits before I assemble them, so they are definitely dry by the time my babies are assembled. Lol.

2 Likes

It is the Petunia fairy kit. She’s adorable!

3 Likes

I read about mold growing inside the kit. If you let them dry completely, mold shouldn’t grow. I have been reading so much to learn as much as I can and do not remember where I even read it.

2 Likes

If it isn’t dry completely inside when you start it will be dry by the time you finish painting.

1 Like

Exactly lol.

1 Like