Soft touch varnish ** sold out**

Do you mean the Ultra Matte variety?

Do you know if there is a difference between the regular Soft Touch varnish with the purple label and the one with the pink label? Both say the same thing, just different color label. I have the purple label jar.

1 Like

This is the one I have that I feel has a sheen to it, even with the starch

1 Like

soft touch is what I was referring to, and it does go shiny in a short time

If it goes shiny quickly, what can be we do? I’m worried a baby will go shiny not long after it gets to the new mom.

Is there an air dry varnish that doesn’t go shiny?

1 Like

If you find one please let me know! I love the starch with the soft touch, but definitely would try others if anyone finds one!

1 Like

Americana Decor is more matte than this one, but similar.

@InfantInspirations it took a few months, Ethon was made more than a year ago (I took the pic tonight). Some people don’t care about the shine. I know it doesn’t bother me too much.

2 Likes

It depends on how much it’s handled I think. Mine went shiny in a matter of a couple of months as it is played with daily by a little girl.

2 Likes

That doesn’t help, but Ethon was in a blanket in a box. The more layers you give, the more matte it is.
I am not sure if the type or brand of paint play a role. It may be.

2 Likes

Almost all my keepers varnished with Soft Touch AND CORNSTARCH per recipe. It does NOT go shiny over time (I have them 1-2 years).
Babies that I bought from other artists varnish in matte varnish ( the worst shine) and baked or combination of Genesis varnishes does look shiny, not terribly shiny, but not as good as Soft Touch.

4 Likes

That’s an interesting thought. I use Golden and Liquitex paint, and Golden matte medium to prime.

I use Genesis paints. I matted Darren over the past few days with the regular DecoArt Soft Touch varnish, and did two layers on him. He is the first baby I have used it on. I have always used Genesis matte. Do you think two layers is enough to make him matte enough to hopefully not go shiny or should I do a third layer?

Agreed! The cornstarch seems to be the ticket!

2 Likes

So, Yelena, do you think the Soft Touch goes less shiny than the Genesis baked matte varnish, over time?

1 Like

Yes, I am sure as I compared. The doll that was varnished with matte vent shiny very quick even without changing clothes, just laying in the crib.

Edited: I only can speak about Soft Touch with purple/lavender label.

1 Like

Really I don’t know. I use airdry. I would say 2-3 coats ?

And yes, cornstarch must be the way to go !

I use Golden.

1 Like

Well, it sounds like the air dry DecoArt soft touch varnish is the way to go, then. I have kept my Bailey Scholl, who was varnished in Genesis, and she hasn’t gone shiny yet, but I barely ever touch her. I just used the DecoArt soft touch on my latest baby, and he is the first one I’ve tried it on. Hopefully he will not go shiny. It will be interesting to see if Bailey eventually goes shiny with the Genesis matte on her.

It says over to the side that it is “out of stock”. Are you sure you got one?

Yes. It let me purchase, and I got confirmation. It was listed as in stock when I ordered.

I’m happy you got one, the rest of us will just keep looking, thank you for the shout out!!

1 Like

@InfantInspirations posted a link where it is listed in stock

1 Like