SO I am getting threatened

— Begin quote from “LittleMama”

Katie, don’t stress about it…that website is for a non-profit retail trade association for artisans and craftsmen to join. Big deal, it’s registered with the State, non-profits are, just like any business. They have no power except over their own members violating their Code of Ethics! They pay dues to join, and get to say they are members. It’s just like any one of us joining a doll club, paying dues, having meetings, and letting people know we have a certain standard expected of members. If you could find out if she was a member, you could forward all the nonsense to them, and let them take care of it! Anyone, anywhere, can form a non-profit for any legal reason or purpose. Like the Girl Scouts! American Cancer Society, the Red Cross, Lumberjacks of America, Lobster Fishermen of the State of Maine, Mental Health Patients of Dallas…etc… Sleep well tonight!

— End quote

Wow I did not even know that! thank you that helps! she tells me im getting locked up for 5 years taken from my family and threatens to have ME reported after saying that! sheesh maybe she is an alcoholic or is mentally ill

This is what she is referring to, The Indian Arts and Crafts Act of 1990.

http://www.iacb.doi.gov/act.html

Unless you are claiming the doll was ***made by ***Native Americans, then you have nothing to worry about. This falls under the blanket of truth in advertising. It sound as though she misread your listing and/or has way too much time on her hands.

Hope this helps, sorry you had to stress over this.

— Begin quote from “BBStudio”

This is what she is referring to, The Indian Arts and Crafts Act of 1990.

http://www.iacb.doi.gov/act.html

Unless you are claiming the doll was ***made by ***Native Americans, then you have nothing to worry about. This falls under the blanket of truth in advertising. It sound as though she misread your listing and/or has way too much time on her hands.

Hope this helps, sorry you had to stress over this.

— End quote

I agree… great research to help ease the mind of a fellow reborner!!

1 Like

— Begin quote from “Ginnylee”

You don’t have to be AA to make AA babies, or Asian to make Asian babies or any other ethnic origin. Further, unless you have actually made a claim that the baby is being made by a person of heritage I really don’t think there is anything anyone can do or tell you to do. That would be about as stupid as I can imagine.

But seriously if you are being threatened by her – REPORT HER because you never know what kind of crazy person is out there. If she is actually threatening you, you can probably make a report to the local authorities as well. I personally take actual threats very seriously as everyone should.

— End quote

So you see, BB cited the statute…as I said, unless you are making a statement or claim that it was made by a person of that heritage they cannot prevent you from making “art”. Suppose it were an oil painting?

Yes- by what she is saying- basically you couldnt even write a book with a Native American Character in it- because if you sold it, you would be profiting off of Native Americans. You would need to be NA to write about them or else. Shes ridiculous, I shouldnt have apologized to her AT ALL but her threats were too much for me. I should have called her out on it, but when I did, she starts threatening to have me reported- I cant have my shop shut down! I have lots of customers and I am a stay at home mom so this is how I make money

Katie, you have proof she threatened and harrassed you on-line. Even if you responded, it doesn’t necessarily mean anything, plus, you apologized! And asked to be left alone. And changed your doll at her “request.” It sounds like she just wanted to continue it, and with you accommodating her, I think anyone would have a hard time seeing you as the persecutor. You’ve been her victim. I know you must be nervous, but don’t be…ignore her and she’ll go away, trolling the internet for more hapless victims. Your customers will stay with you, and you’ll continue being a stay-at-home Mom to those kiddos. In a week, you’ll look back, and shrug.

FYI to all: Click on the link provided by BB to view the user-friendly explanation of the actual Law. It is short, easy-to-read, informative, and provides a quick understanding of what can and cannot be done in advertising. Here’s part of it:

“For example, products sold using a sign claiming “Indian Jewelry” would be a violation of the Indian Arts and Crafts Act if the jewelry was produced by someone other than a member, or certified Indian artisan, of an Indian tribe. Products advertised as “Hopi Jewelry” would be in violation of the Act if they were produced by someone who is not a member, or certified Indian artisan, of the Hopi tribe.”

While this was stressful for you, Katie, it alerted all of us about this Law passed in 1990, and that’s a good outcome. You were not trying to defraud anyone. We believe in YOU!

I’m not sure, but BBStudio is a member not Bountiful Baby. I’m sure will clarify. Good info to know.

— Begin quote from “kimomax”

I’m not sure, but BBStudio is a member not Bountiful Baby. I’m sure will clarify. Good info to know.

— End quote

Nope, I’m not Bountiful Baby. I’m Mel, my nursery is Blessed Beginnings Studio. I just shorted it to BBStudio for forums, etc. Just wanted to post the info to put Katie’s mind at ease, as she has done nothing wrong.

Katie, IMO you should report this woman to Etsy. She is harassing you and the fact that she got a reaction probably just egged her on. Don’t communicate with her anymore.

Yes I reported her and told her to leave me alone and even apologized for writing native American which I know it was pathetic to apologize for something I didn’t do wrong but I don’t handle stress well and her threats were scaring me so I just begged her to leave me alone and she has left me be thank you girls so much for caring about me

this is a perfect example of a little knowledge is dangerous!!!

katie, I think you did the right thing, if only to get her off your back. i don’t think any of us would want to have to contend with such an obnoxious and unknown individual. it’s a crazy world out there sometimes, and knowing that can make ordinary people fearful because you don’t know what to expect. Don’t apologize for apologizing…it was prudent IMO. Man, it seems everyone wants Disclaimers these days…“No actual child was injured in this process.” “This product is in its entirety a work of fiction created exclusively from the artist’s imagination and does not purport to represent anyone alive or dead, or any indigenous group or association ya da ya da ya da…”

Go away, Thunder Cloud, to the Land of the Setting Sun! (probably not politically correct, is it?) Hey, Dad told us we have Indian blood, and Mom’s family’s from Canada, and none of them look “Canadian,” or French for that matter! My older sister was nicknamed Cochese! My little brother is “Henry From Africa!” Definitely not English Puritan stock, probably like millions of Americans who missed hoping onto to the boat, Her Majesty’s Ship, the Mayflower! Hope you can relax and get back to work…

Katie, It saddens me to hear of something like this. I hope you do not let this women’s actions reflect on all Native Americans. I would suggest to write a constructive letter to the Cherokee Nation headquarters in Tahlequah, OK & explain your experience with this person & how you feel you are being harassed & request that they explain how you are breaking any laws & if this person has the right to interpret their laws & then threaten people. I myself have an Native American reborn on Etsy & I have not heard from this person. I hope I do because I am a registered member of my own tribe & I would love to have a conversation with her. I don’t feel she has any right in threatening anybody.

— Begin quote from “rainbow”

Katie, It saddens me to hear of something like this. I hope you do not let this women’s actions reflect on all Native Americans. I would suggest to write a constructive letter to the Cherokee Nation headquarters in Tahlequah, OK & explain your experience with this person & how you feel you are being harassed & request that they explain how you are breaking any laws & if this person has the right to interpret their laws & then threaten people. I myself have an Native American reborn on Etsy & I have not heard from this person. I hope I do because I am a registered member of my own tribe & I would love to have a conversation with her. I don’t feel she has any right in threatening anybody.

— End quote

Thank you and she said “Are you native american? if you are I would suggest you put that in your profile” um excuse me I do not have to state my nationality ANYWHERE.

crazy.

— Begin quote from “rainbow”

— End quote

I Love your Joey in your siggy! So precious