So angry

I sold a doll back in May of this year to a lady in Colorado, the cost of the doll plus shipping from the UK to US was £675, she received the doll and loved her and sent me a great review and lots of photos and lovely messages.
All of a sudden out of the blue I get a chargeback on my square app from a transaction from May this year and when I checked it was for her doll, a dispute had been opened stating item was not as described!!
I contacted her over Instagram and asked her about it, she told me she or her husband had not authorized the chargeback and how they had had the same thing happen on something else they had purchased, she said her husband would contact the CC company and cancel it.
In the mean time I responded to the dispute through Square because they had taken the money from me and it was on hold with the CC company, I sent square all of the screenshots of the conversations I had with her showing she was delighted with the doll.
The customer then told me it had been cancelled at her end, I asked her to send me a letter or email of cancellation proof so I could forward it to square which she agreed to do as soon as she received it.

Within my square app it then showed it had moved to the next stage of them submitting all the evidence to the CC company for review, it is the CC company who decide the out come and there is no appeals allowed, so she hasn’t cancelled it at her end at all, I informed of it moving to next stage and she just ignored me!!
I’m now waiting and praying the CC company’s decision goes in my favour but I fear it will not and she will get all of her money back and she will keep the doll, I have asked her to return the doll if the CC company decide to give her the money back but no reply.

I’m so angry and upset over this, it’s crazy that they can authorize a chargeback 3 months after receiving the doll, I’m not sure I can afford to carry on painting dolls if I loose that amount of money, every penny I get from painting goes back into this hobby and allows me to continue.

This is the doll, not once has she said there is anything wrong with it :disappointed_relieved:

20 Likes

I’m confused. She said she didn’t do the charge back? But she won’t do anything to stop it? I know I accidentally refunded some one their money on Etsy somehow by putting my phone in my pocket. There were a lot of confirmations to go through so Idk how it happened. I took my phone out of my pocket and it said refund sent. The buyer never said anything or responded and Etsy said there was nothing they could do. We live paycheck to paycheck and once the money is in the bank it’s spent. Bills food whatever then I get to spend some on hobby stuff. If I sell anything or make any money doing anything it’s spent because I have bills to pay.

I can’t imagine people who spend this much money on something knowing there are. No returns/refunds then having buyers remorse and punishing the artist because they changed thier mind or had god forbid bills come up :flushed:

I understand when things happen but if they truly didn’t do a refund they should send you back the money when it’s returned to them

I’m imagining the mess something like this would make to my bank account. It’s money you earned and they gave it to you in exchange for goods. Why is it ok for them to have both? If the banks are going to refund people like this with buyer protection the money should come out of THEIR pocket especially after three months! What the heck

I’d be super angry and in tears right now. That is a beautiful baby and you did an amazing job and I angry for you over this situation too!

7 Likes

Wow, that shouldn’t be allowed after 3 months! Is there no limit as to when someone can file a chargeback? That’s not right.

4 Likes

Are you kidding me? That’s ridiculous… and for her to play along for a bit…and then not respond???

:rage::rage::rage:

7 Likes

Nope they can do a chargeback up to 180 days after the purchase, apparently it’s common and called friendly fraud, I’m so gutted this is happening, she seemed so genuine in our chats, she wanted the doll to help with her anxiety ect, on her Instagram she comes across as a good honest person who talks about being kind to others and protecting the planet ect ect, they are not short of money, they are currently building their own house up in the mountains of Colorado … I’m just trying to make a little bit of extra money on top of my care job in order to support my grown up daughter who lives with me and her two year old child, because at age 32 she has severe arthritis and needs help physically and financially.

I honestly don’t know what more I can do to fight this dispute :disappointed_relieved:

5 Likes

PayPal told me 6 months a few years ago.

2 Likes

What’s the point in stating you DONT ACCEPT RETURNS if they can so easily do a chargeback?? :angry:

2 Likes

That is SO awful! I’m so sorry your dealing with that. I have a repeat customer who has shafted me on a custom too, and it just makes you want to stop selling. You would think the CC company would want to investigate more as they loose money too. Friendly fraud…what a hideous term :rage:

4 Likes

This is just wrong on so many levels. That doll is gorgeous! At the very least she should have to return the doll to you in the same condition it was sent. Have you sent copies of the e-mails to the credit card company? I really hope they decide in your favor.

4 Likes

I know and what makes it worse is it’s their CC company who decide and of course they will decide in their clients favour!

I can’t even pick up a paint brush right now :disappointed_relieved:

5 Likes

No I have no way of contacting their CC company, I can only submit evidence through my square account, they then send that evidence to the CC company to decide but as soon as the dispute is opened square pay the money back to the CC company and they hold it while they decide, so as of right now I have had the money taken from me, I have no doll and I have to wait for a decision which can take up to 50 days (November!!)

4 Likes

That doesn’t mean it will take 50 days. They may decide soon. If she’s not happy with the doll, why would she want to keep it? I agree that she should resend you the money if she gets the refund since she’s saying neither she or her husband did the chargeback.
I have a separate bank account for PayPal just because I’m so afraid of something like this happening. Only PayPal funds go in/out of it. I’d be in trouble if it was my checking account. All my bills would overdraw.

3 Likes

I don’t think she will do either, from what I have read on Google about this chargeback fraud claims is they wait a few weeks/ few months to do it hoping the seller will not notice where the chargeback has come from, that probably works with big online companies but not people like us who sell very few dolls and make little money, I think she is just ignoring me now to drag it out until she gets the money back and then no doubt will block me at some point … I hope I’m wrong

4 Likes

If they decide against you, I want her name to put on my scammer list.

6 Likes

Ugh… I’m so sorry. That baby is beautiful! Sadly this kind of crap will just keep happening until companies put an end to the fraud.

3 Likes

There should be some kind of fraud claim against fraudsters. You should file a police report for theft in her city. You can probably sue her in small claims court. If you have legal aid in your area, they often provide free services. At least you might get your doll back. You wouldn’t want to do either of these things until you know the outcome.

1 Like

Did you submit screenshots of her saying she didn’t file a charge back and would cancel it? You seem on top of it, I’m sure you probably did. What a nightmare! I have used square for years now and thankfully have never had this come up. My husband used to sell handmade rings, used square and did have a customer file once. His situation was different though, they said not received and he had signature confirmation and everything. I know they had told him it could take 90 days, their credit card company sided with my husband and the money was put back into his account within a week. But I think it depends on their credit card company, and how long they take and everything. I just really feel for you, for me, that is a lot of money. If that were to be taken from my account today I’d be overdrawn. I just really hope they resolve it quickly and if they actually look at the documentation you’ve described I don’t see how they could side with the buyer.

4 Likes

We don’t have legal aid in this country so I wouldn’t be able to sue her, I will just have to accept that I have been scammed of it goes in her favour and if it does I will name her so other artists are aware of her

5 Likes

Yes I sent all the screen shots from the point of her recieving the doll to her staying she did not file a chargeback

1 Like

If they have all that, I think they’ll decide in your favor.

3 Likes