Shading Question

Hi there everyone! I have a tutorial here for A light biracial skin tone and When I get to the shading part it says: “Mix well and do all your shading, face, lightly shade finger and toe knuckles, shade on wrists, ankles, elbows, knees and anywhere else you like shading.”

My question is how I do the shading? Like do I use a paintbrush and shade like you would with a pencil? I’ve seen Kate Charles shading video on YouTube and I even have her tutorial but I feel that hers would be too dark for a light biracial baby.
Here’s a picture of the doll from the tutorial if that helps:

Thanks,
Julie

3 Likes

I use a paint brush, brush a lil paint around the ankles, take a sponge n fold it, pounce paint, while pouncing bring the paint up the leg just a little. You may have to do it more than one time, depending on how you want the shading. You do the same for the wrist. Elbows n knees, I do under n on top. I leave the actual knee n elbow original color. I hope you understand what I’m say n it helps. Good luck.

3 Likes

Thank you! Do you shade the face the same way?

1 Like

I shade the forehead n around the face, close to the ears.

1 Like

You welcome

1 Like

:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Love it Annie… the link you posted was the same question by the original poster… LOL…I enjoyed watching Kate shade in the video…

Thanks! I forgot I had asked the question about shading before. I guess I’ll try it with a paintbrush and blend with a wedge. I think the video probably confused me.

2 Likes

Curious about how you obtained the “Rachel” tutorial that was done by Jo Ballew?

1 Like

That has happened to me before. I was trying to figure out how to add eyes to a sleeping kit and started looking all over to only come up on my own post as to how I did it. :rofl:

2 Likes

I had messaged her on Facebook about 2 years ago and purchased it from her. I tried asking some questions when messaging her but didn’t get a response recently.

Jo isn’t reborning anymore. Medically unable…

1 Like

Oh ok. That must be why she didn’t answer my question about shading. I hope she’s ok.

1 Like