REBORN DOLLS - BEWARE - Scammer site stealing photos, CALL TO ACTION, new sites are opening and using different artist photos

Was browsing reborns on eBay and look who shows up at the very top of the ad links at the bottom:

Same happens when you search “reborn dolls” on google. The first listing is a fake site. :confused:

1 Like

I may have just pissed Dave off on Reborns. But I just commented again on my post regarding watermarks. I told him I’m going to mark them anyway. And I made it clear I disagree with his reasoning. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

What is his reason again for not allowing watermarks?

He thinks they’re ugly and detract from the pictures. He believes scammers don’t care and will use the photos anyway. He’s probably right on that. He says you can watermark your photos, just not on top of the image. You’d have to use the meta data (no idea what that even is) which is baked into the file (his words) and hidden from visible viewing to add your name and watermark. Kind of defeats the purpose IMO.

2 Likes

You could have a t-shirt made with your nursery name on it and use it like a photo prop but that wouldn’t work with a pretty dress.

2 Likes

:rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage:

1 Like

These scammers are despicable!

3 Likes

Even when I google bountiful baby these stupid ads come up,

So sorry that you got scammed!

How did you pay for it? Can you reverse the transaction? If not, you can request a refund. Reborns.com has lots of beautiful babies to choose from.

3 Likes

I am so sorry you got scammed.
Most of us on this forum are artists. And everyone on this forum looks out for each other. If you find a doll anywhere online that you’re interested, please come on here and ask us about it. You could post it on this thread, or start a new post. We can spot a fake site or fake kit a mile away. We can also help you figure out if any particular artist is legit. There are so many ways to go about getting an honest deal. Join Facebook groups. Look on Reborns.com. Look on instagram. When you find a doll, ask questions. Ask for a safety photo too. Real artists will answer your questions and send as many pictures as you want. :heart:

5 Likes

Amen

1 Like

A blank kit cost this much. No way this can be real

3 Likes

So sorry you got scammed. We are all mostly artists here. If you want the same face as the one you chose from the scam website search. Saskia on reborns. That’s the sculpt you chose. I’m sure you can find a gorgeous Saskia for your daughter

3 Likes

That kit is Saskia by Bonnie Brown. You can probably have one made but it won’t be exactly like that one because a different artist would be doing it. You most likely won’t find a really good one for that price. Just the kit is $109.99. If cost isn’t a factor try contacting Cierra Watson at specialmomentsrebornnursery. I don’t know if she does customs but her babies are stunning.

4 Likes

She is BEAUTIFUL!

4 Likes

Just know that a Saskia that looks anything like the one in the picture…which is obviously a stolen picture, maybe someone knows the artist?..will cost far more than what you were asked for on the scam site. That baby is not only an expensive kit but it appears to have human hair as well.

6 Likes

That’s actually how they get you on those scam sites. Gorgeous prototype quality babies for dirt cheap. Its not possible to get a Saskia doll for that cheap.
If you ask me…one like the photo you showed is gonna be 450$ minimum.
That said. No artist can copy a doll. Heck I can’t even make two sculpts exactly the same even doing them both at the same time with the same paint.

Your best bet is to find an artist with a style you like and ask for a custom. Be aware that no self respecting artist will outright try and copy another artist. But if they have a painting style you like you will still end up with a beautiful doll.

Just be prepared to spend quite a bit more.

6 Likes

As my previous post stated I have been a doll collector for over 30 years. From Annette himstedt to Lee Middleton. I became interested in reborn dolls 2 years ago. I did a lot of research, before I purchase my first reborn.(With the exception of Annette himstedt, I gave or donated my old dolls)
The doll sites they have been listed in this format or dicussion on these sites to me,seems to good to be true.Buyer beware!There are only 3 sites I personally would buy from, Etsy,eBay, Mererci.I would not even order from Ashton Drake. Because from reviews it’s a hit or miss when it comes to their dolls.
My reborns have been purchased from Etsy and eBay.I did my research and have had no issues. Even with those sites, you have some artist whose dolls,looks like a diaster.(to me) Communication with the artist is a key factor when buying reborn dolls.
These scammers listed on this sites have beautiful dolls listed,but can you trust them to deliver “that doll”
Bountiful babies format is a place to communicate with fellow collectors and artists. I only discovered this format a couple of weeks ago.

4 Likes