REBORN DOLLS - BEWARE - Scammer site stealing photos, CALL TO ACTION, new sites are opening and using different artist photos

I don’t think any of the Facebook groups will tolerate selling of knockoffs. From pics though, it might be hard to tell them from the real ones. Some people manage to make the real kits look pretty bad. And in pics, the size differences may not be obvious. Still though…no group will willingly allow this. And every group I am in will have some one call them out immediately, getting them banned.

5 Likes

Alot of the FB groups seem to be ran by those who care about the community,artist and sculptors but there are quite a few who just don’t :frowning: sadly see ivita, and the already known copies alot and known scammers still allowed. Granted I’ve left groups that seem to allow it, so glad that most good groups don’t. I see it mostly in groups that are for those with a lower budget

I guess I should go join some of those low end pages and start calling people out. :wink:

3 Likes

Oh I do lol some agree but it seems most especially in one group in particular, just think oh it’s ok cuz they want it and need it cheap lol. One group in particular has tons of known scammers, knock offs and blatant praise of the scam sites “helping those who can’t afford artist babies”. Admin has been told many times with proof of all but they don’t care,i only stay to try and warn people joining about the scamming sellers in there

1 Like

I wonder if they are counterfeiting April’s COAs, too.

I know they send a different one with their factory painted Saskia… it is pink… her COA has her kit pic on it.

2 Likes

If they haven’t copied her real COA, then the fake kits should be easy to spot in the reborn world.

1 Like

I wonder if they will look just like the original or will they be wonky awful knock offs similar to the painted knock off kits…

2 Likes

I wonder how difficult it would be for real sculptors to watermark or add in a special fiber, like currency, on their coas?? Just thinking here.

2 Likes

I’ve been following this thread for the last several days and just so disheartened and saddened by what is happening, I have spent some time in the BJD doll community where counterfeiting has run rampant and even pushed sculptors and artists to stop creating, shutting down companies all together. These dolls are called recasts and highly frowned upon, maybe we could start calling the kits something similar? they have also developed ways to check if they are a recast or not such as how the inside of the dolls looks.
within the bjd community there is a site that primarily deals with being a forum and verifying people to use their market for selling, trading, and the like. Many members will not make a sale to someone unverified or someone without feedback.

I wonder if there would be a way to have the BJD and reborn communities come together and figure out how to stop this somehow. Maybe find a way to get customs involved and make it illegal for this counterfeit work to enter the market like they do with faux designer purses and such?

9 Likes

I think reborn doll need to be a “appellation contrôlée” as we said in french, you know, like wine ? Cote du Rhone or a Beaujolais need to meet specific criteria to be called as such.
If, for example, a reborn doll need to be handpainted, weighted, vinyl, look realistic etc…to be called a reborn legally. Now Chinese knock off could be legally considered as conterfeit.

I don’t know how to do this, but I think it’s the way to go in the future. For now nobody take us, artists, seriously because a doll is a doll, a toy, nothing else.

2 Likes

Do you think the scammers are gone I haven’t see them on Facebook or the marketplace

Not at all. They are still everywhere.
I wish they were gone. I wish liars pants really did catch on fire :wink:

I did get a notice from facebook this morning about removing one of the ads I reported… but there are tons more …

7 Likes

I think this is going to hurt all of us that do reborns last year at Christmas I sold alot of babies this year one so far I don’t know what to do maybe sell out I just dont know

2 Likes

updated again
Change of color hoping people will notice it is different and read the list
Lolomart global had a sponsored ad on FB of stolen videos and picture of reborns.
Their site looks like it links to dollish reborn dolls

10 Likes

Thank you Jenni for all your hard work. It is so hard to keep up with it all. Just wanted you to know that I appreciate ya and all you are doing!

4 Likes

Yes thank you jenni

1 Like

Ladies,
Thank you all so much for all of this information. I was recently told by therapist to get a reborn doll to help with my PTSD and also to help with healing from my childhood abuse and trauma. I started looking and was looking for the right doll. I thought I found her. Posted her pictures on FB and everything. Told my husband where to get her and how much she was. I had a woman reach out to me on FB though my comments and she informed me about the scammers and the bogus sites. I started researching more into this. I have to say I am so glad she reached out to me because my husband was gonna order my baby for me for Christmas. Can anyone please help me find the original artist of the baby if I post her picture. Please. I really think she or he should know.

3 Likes

I am so glad you got warned in time :slight_smile:

The reborn is made from a Twin A kit (sculpted by Bonnie Brown) this kit is vinyl with 3/4 arms and full legs on a cloth body.
The kit is an open edition and still available to purchase the blank kits on Macphersons

1 Like

Thank you. I don’t know how to make a reborn. I was hoping to be able to buy her. Do you make reborns? If so would I be able to look at them and see if one speaks to me?

2 Likes