REBORN DOLLS - BEWARE - Scammer site stealing photos, CALL TO ACTION, new sites are opening and using different artist photos

Unfortunately, I’ve been scammed as well. I knew nothing more than my daughter wanted a reborn for Christmas. I googled and found these dolls. Now I am disputing with PayPal to be refunded and am searching for my daughter’s request of a reborn doll. My 10 year old daughter and I had finally narrowed it down to this adorable little boy which she fell in love with. She rarely asks for anything and I’m so disappointed I can’t get this one thing she asked for. Where can I find the authentic version? I don’t even know where to start. :pensive:

The authentic version of this reborn, the one in the photo that was stolen by the scammers, was made from a limited edition kit, most likely by a reborn prototype artist. A nicely made, quality reborn doll similar to the one in the photo will cost between $400 to $800. Making an authentic reborn baby is a very time consuming process. It is an art, and in good quality reborns, a lot of good quality supplies go into making them, and then there is the time the artist spends making them. It can take many hours of time spent. Good quality reborns have many layers of thin paint that builds up layers (depth) that look like baby skin. Good quality reborns that have real “hair” are rooted with mohair one strand at a time, so that it looks baby fine and real. These Chinese knock-offs are made from kits they copied illegally (stole from the original sculptors) and made into vinyl that could be toxic (with things such as lead) and they are rooted by a machine, which looks horrible, and some of the barely there painting they have is possibly done by machine. Real reborns are made by a person who loves what she/he does and put so much love and care into every step of the process–something a machine or a low-paid Chinese artist cannot do. Real reborns are considered artwork, and that’s why they have a price that reflects their workmanship. These knock-offs are not reborn dolls.

6 Likes

I now know the full body silicon reborns are thousands. If an artist is willing to work with a payment plan, I would be willing to pay for one like this. Where can I find a reputable artist who makes the full body silicon dolls?

1 Like

The baby that your daughter chose is a limited edition kit called April. I don’t believe that she is available in silicone, only as a vinyl kit. (Vinyl head and limbs with a cloth body) Because silicone dolls are so pricey, many artists have no experience in painting them. You know your child better than anybody here, but I would not have given my daughter a silicone at that age. They are heavier, require extra care and are very easy to rip. Have a look on www.reborns.com for babies that are currently available. It is a reputable site with a wide range of dolls. If your heart is set on a silicone reborn, they also have a few available there. Silicone dolls

2 Likes

I have this kit done for 600$ , I can do payment plan. But not silicone. I am not sure this sculptor have made April in silicone.

1 Like

1 Like

I think 1 silicone was made of April by her sculptor (Joanna K.) and it sold around $10,000

The vinyl kit was limited edition and is now sold out. I think China illegally copied it and is pouring it themselves and making crappy versions.
It’s sad and it sucks. The blank kit was over $100.

Turning a vinyl into a silicone is illegal.

5 Likes

Thanks for weighing in Jenni. Of all forum members, you are among the most knowledgeable on kits.

1 Like

Thank you all so much for helping me. I’ll continue reading here and looking at the site posted. She was hoping to bathe it and treat it as a real baby. We did see a couple under $1000 but I don’t think they were what she wanted.

2 Likes

Even full silicones are not supposed to be bathed often. More so to clean off any fuzzies and hair stuck to it then re-matte it.
And not really for kids. the fingers, toes, neck, elbow and knees bends can all tear with outfit changes, etc.

4 Likes

The only doll I’m aware of that can be bathed is a La Newborn by Berenguer, and they can be purchased at Walmart, usually, or online from Amazon. I think they sell a baby doll bathtub that can be purchased separately for these Berenguers. They have all vinyl bodies and are very cute.

https://www.amazon.com/JC-Toys-All-Vinyl-Anatomically-Accessories-Berenguer/dp/B00TVNN2G6/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2RJ8DK6VJ4J45&keywords=la+newborn+baby+doll&qid=1573964200&s=toys-and-games&sprefix=la+newborn%2Ctoys-and-games%2C161&sr=1-3

https://www.amazon.com/JC-Toys-Newborn-Anatomically-Correct/dp/B0716YZ1F1/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2RJ8DK6VJ4J45&keywords=la+newborn+baby+doll&qid=1573964298&s=toys-and-games&sprefix=la+newborn%2Ctoys-and-games%2C161&sr=1-5

2 Likes

Please be careful when looking for silicones. Stay away from ivita and babyclon. Both of which take sculptors vinyl kits and turn them into silicone illegally.
The doll connection store is legit and has silicones starting around $1999 and she does 18 month payment plans. Also Kimbry dolls on Etsy does mini silicones that are affordable (in comparison to other silis)
You know your child best, if she wants a baby she can bath, Ashton Drake has a rub a dub dub baby that is all vinyl, even comes with a little bathtub and robe. Suitable for a child :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You and your daughter should look on reborns.com if you haven’t already. There are hundreds of reborns that aren’t fake. Some are drink and wet but can’t be bathed.

2 Likes

Did you look at Reborns.com? this is the place where artists from this forum sell their dolls.

1 Like

More pictures from people sharing on FB about the crap they got

4 Likes

That April will give me nightmares! :scream: :scream: :scream:

6 Likes

What’s with the detached legs? Can’t they even be bothered to do that?

4 Likes

I think it doesnt fit in their boxes once they are attached. lol

1 Like

76175958_451441985503659_9182147179811176448_o

2 Likes

Yet PayPal continues to allow them to do business. :woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes