Really, these dolls are selling

:joy::rofl:. I washed a set of limbs the other day and hung them to dry by the kitchen sink. What’s a girl to do? I asked my hubby if he noticed them and he said yup :joy::woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

Lol :rofl::rofl::rofl: You made me smile.

2 Likes

I never respond to thoses posts because of that. I don’t want to offend anyone, but I always have a lower price in mind that other suggestions.
I don’t understand wanting to sell your first doll. It’s kind of a practice reborn, I mean, it only sound that you’re there for the money !
Hey, we all became rich super fast with this art, aren’t we ?:joy:

4 Likes

THIS :raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands:
I so get everyone starts somewhere, but you can strip kits to continue to practice without costing extra. I’ve been called multiple names just for stating I think first dolls should be kept, not only as a way to see how far you’ve come as a artist (if they stick with it) but also because, most first dolls arent sell worthy imo.
I don’t respond to pricing post anymore because everyone states how great it is, wonderful $400+ when in reality, most stating that would never pay that much for those dolls

7 Likes

There was some backlash the other day in a FB group about Reborns . Com and Dave.
There is a scammer selling on rebornS (multiple proofs within scam groups) ND Dave was alerted but said since she had good transactions on his site, he wouldn’t remove her for the scams she did via FB.

4 Likes

What?! So she’s a known scammer on his own site, but because she’s made sales he’ll turn a blind eye to it?? That is appalling. Where is the integrity? I am mortified.

4 Likes

I understand his position, even if it doesn’t seem fair to us. On his site, she has verified sales and no complains. He can’t really go on every one Facebook’s pages to search for proofs each time someone call someone else a scammer. He is only responsible for his site and for now everything seems ok. If he begin to ban people base on sayings, everybody will be upset.

8 Likes

Who is it?

1 Like

Seems like just passively waiting for the problem to arise rather than being proactive about it.

2 Likes

I totally agree with what you said and very well said too.

2 Likes

if someone is scamming on other sites, it’s just a matter of time before they start on his site. They’re just making their rounds.

2 Likes

Her name is Angela Steele. I’m not sure what her nursery name is, as it was changed recently but I recognize the dolls she sells so I’m gonna go check.
I’ve never had any dealings with her personally, but have seen countless people post their stories of her selling the same doll to multiple people, taking their money then selling the doll to a friend and taking months to refund and when she does refund it’s never all of it) as I don’t believe she takes G&S for payment.

6 Likes

This is her reborns profile

6 Likes

I am going to chime in here mostly because I am bored and I have a hard time NOT saying something.

Reborns.com is a mixed bag. You can find some uglies on their that are way over priced and some really nice babies that you scratch your head and think “really? that baby is worth way more than that”

Mostly though its beginner artists testing out the waters and beginning collectors learning the hard way.

I don’t think this hurts people who work hard and price fair in the long run.

There is a baby and a price tag for everyone.

People who are good at what they do ( price fair, make a little effort to market, work from a place of integrity) create a client base and don’t really depend on a selling platform after a while, I may be wrong but it seems like once an artist is in demand people line up. It may be until the next popular artist comes along or until the artist starts raising those prices.

Greedy geese. You see them pop up, they might trick a couple people with a baby not painted with good intentions but word gets around and you see their babies start to sit forever. You see this with the wanna-be-custom artists. Not sure why those ladies chap my ass so much but they do.

They are all over Etsy right now, promising a prototype baby but not a single photo of a baby they have actually painted. I call them out and they hate me. The standard reply is “Mind your own…” the problem is that they get away with this over and over because people do not call them out.

I know there are no rules but if there were I would vote “You must use your own photos to market your work especially if you are offering custom dolls”. They have the nerve to start at 900 bucks!

I once acted like a potential buyer on Etsy. It was an artist who is also on reborns. I asked if I could see samples of her work. She told me the photos were samples and I said “but this says … on the water mark, did you paint this baby?” She replied that she has been painting babies for many years and everyone knows her work, that she has painted prototypes for Arcello, she has awards. So I asked again if I could see some of the babies she has painted. She told me all her photos were on some device that is no longer functional, but she has great reviews. I asked if I could contact one of her clients, maybe they had a photo. She stated that was not something anyone has ever demanded, most people know her, I told her I didn’t and for 900 dollars I wanted to see how she painted a baby. She got really mad and told me that I was out of line, that I was a bully, that I was demanding and she doesn’t work with demanding people and I would not find an artist who would be willing to work with someone who obviously had a problem…

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and some people fall in love with orphan babies, sharpie eyebrows, babies that came from the land of misfits. No judgement, we all work hard for the money but not everyone knows how to handle a chain saw if you know what I mean.

We also have to remember how hard it is to price a baby. I might put 4O hours in, dress a baby in a sweet Kate Quinn organic jumper, spend 145.oo on a sculpt but at the end of the day it is hard to feel confident about the price tag. When I compare I am never sure where I stand, I never want anyone to be disappointed. If it sells fast I kick myself for second guessing, if it sits too long I wonder if I am asking for too much.

All I have is customer feedback, it is gold to me.

I do have a habit of passing out high fives on Reborns. Every time I log on, if I find a baby that is fairly priced or underpriced and it’s a nice baby, I let the artist know that they made a beautiful baby and that the price is more than fair and if they keep going in this direction it would be totally understandable that they hiked it up a little.

I sold some ugly babies when I started out. Lord I sold them at a loss too. I just wanted to recoup my supplies and move on, learn as I go. I have a girl who has one of my first babies, it was drown in a melty snow puddle before it arrived. The Canadian post office let me know it was damaged, and USPS gave me 50 bucks, I passed it on to the client. She still loves that baby and we follow each other on instagram. Sometimes the uglies are precious, it is where you begin.

Just stuff to think about.

17 Likes

You have a way with words! I literally love your replies :heart:
I agree, sadly from what I’ve seen of Etsy, alot use prototype photos to market for custom dolls and this isn’t a $200 custom, they are all $500+ but not a single photo to show what THEIR dolls reallyyyyyy look like.
Like you explained above, that’s not cool. KNOWING it wasn’t her work (as you did) she still played it off as it was, to me, that’s a form of scamming.
Same as the scam sites in a sense, show one level of painting and send something totally different. Even if the work is good, if it doesn’t match what they say/show…it’s not cool.

8 Likes

I love it when you get bored and chime in.

4 Likes

There are a lot of fantastic people on this forum. Some make me laugh/smile. Some paint beautifully. Some offer great advice. Some are very well spoken and thought provoking.

Very few, if any others- tick every box on the list like you do. Thanks for getting bored every once in a while and weighing in. I always look forward to your posts.

7 Likes

Thank you. I have browsed her nursery multiple times and will avoid doing business with her. I cannot afford to deal with someone sketchy.

1 Like

I am a softie when it comes to the land of misfit dolls. My heart goes out to them because I want them to have a home. My creations are coming along a little at a time. Personality I love misfits.

3 Likes

I am sorry. Yes, people who doesn’t know how much work put into a perfect baby would never understand that $150 - $250 it’s unreasonable price for well done reborn. I know some artist stick to their prices and get what they think they art worth. I will try to do the same when I am ready to renew my Reborns membership.

3 Likes