Really, these dolls are selling

I scrolled around the Reborns site, and cannot believe that these dolls are selling for what they are…eyebrows way above the eyebrow line, pluggy hair, just plain ole yucky yucks!! Really!! What happened to our art??

20 Likes

Right?!
And good/great ones sit at good prices! Wth?

11 Likes

That’s just to be able to say “I got a reborn”, and probably what they can afford. Or they just want dirt cheap.

6 Likes

And still I don’t see how anyone can be happy with those so called ‘babies’.

14 Likes

I know it’s sad. Mine just sit at times and this is one of those times. I’m going to be done for awhile anyway by Sunday because of a potential move.

6 Likes

You all have the prettiest babies. I agree @YelenaRey.

3 Likes

You moving again? Where this time?

lol Maybe…same state.

1 Like

I just don’t understand how people pay so much for not great dolls these days. $300 dolls used to be super respectable, but now it seems like many people come in and immediately try to sell at such an expensive price, regardless of what their doll looks like. I don’t know, maybe it’s just me

14 Likes

Unfortunately from what I’ve seen, it’s because people see the high end prototype artist selling for bank and they think they can to. So they take the first dolls they make and post em for $300+
The countless number of post I see on Facebook that are their first dolls with cheap craft paint is unreal 🤦

7 Likes

Yes, and if as a customer your budget is on the low end and you’re looking for a face you can live with, boy, there’s a lot of of ugly to weed through.

And if someone is in the market for silicone, there’s more money out of pocket and more ugly right from the get go.

But part of this hobby much be treasure hunting. Lol

5 Likes

I find this very disrespectful for the art and true artists who cares about their work.
It’s ok to begin somewhere, but it take practice to get to a point where your doll is looking realistic and well done.
It’s lo ok to sell your first few reborns, but at a price that represent the real value. A badly poorly rushed reborn at 300$ or more is a slap on the face to me.
I don’t want to sell mine too high, I am not a prototype artist, and I don’t want to keep them on the market forever.
I already struggle to sell between 350-400$. Some stay for sale for a year. I can’t imagine if I have to raise my price.
But if mine are on the same price level than those creatures, and don’t sell, is it because I am that bad ?
It’s sickening.

11 Likes

To be honest, I feel the same way. I have never sold any babies, but I CAN see the difference in a well-done baby and one not so much. I personally think folks see others making money with the dolls, and they think, boy, I can do that! Never realizing the time and work that went into getting that good. I have always wanted what I do to be really good. At least the best I can do. I guess what I am trying to say is in this world today, people want to make a lot of money from home. Thinking maybe they can sell dolls on a regular basis for even $300 would be enough to make a living with. It’s not. They don’t sell that regularly and is not something a person can depend on for a living. So, in my opinion, they get into it for the wrong reasons. I did not intend to ever sell dolls when I started. I know I am not an artist, and may never produce a salable baby, but that’s OK. I like the dolls for me. Hope that wasn’t too convoluted.

5 Likes

Believe me-your work is WONDERFUL!!!

1 Like

I have been holding my tongue but when I see what is selling, OMG! I think wow my babies are super compared to these “things” why are they selling and not mine??No money,no taste, I don’t know, a doll in Walmart is better than some of these. I would be embarassed to charge money or even put them up for sale. JMO

8 Likes

I was strolling Reborns.com and I am totally taken aback by some of the things on there! I agree, theirs are selling and ours are not, wth!

3 Likes

I also think alot of it has came from the scam sites unrealistic pricing making people think real reborns are $100ish so you constantly see
“ISO realistic sleeping baby with rooted hair and box opening. Budget $100 total” and you’ll see the comments flooded with dolls.
Now I would never bash someone’s hard work…but you can tell someone who is a beginner and truly tried and those who just slap some paint on a kit and call it reborn.
I totally get being on a budget but what most don’t realize is, even a extra $50 can open up alot Better quality. 🤷

10 Likes

I’m so glad I’m not the only one wondering why my babies sit at a moderate price and some very mediocre dolls sell at higher prices. It’s a real blow to the confidence.

3 Likes

Generally, every $100. more you can spend while under about $1000. tends to improve quality.

1 Like

I don’t understand How they can continue to lose money. Lets be honest. Even with a sale kit and body its about 50$ then. Paint. Hair. Clothes. Rooting needles. Magnets. Polyfil.
I recently upped my prices. Maybe my dolls aren’t worth what I’m asking. I don’t know.

What I do know is I won’t just lose money.

4 Likes