Ready to quit, so upset (resolved)

I would if I could, but I also like where I live lol One local rescue brings in a ton of dogs from kill shelters in the US to be adopted here. Mostly from California and Texas from what I understand, I fell in love with one of their dogs from Texas but we live in an apartment so they wouldn’t allow us to adopt her and I was heartbroken. She was a gorgeous lab mix pup.
The adoption fees here include spaying and neutering too. Our city also has a low cost spay/neuter program that lets people with low incomes afford to get their pets fixed. We have a huge feral cat problem here, not so many dogs but lots get abandoned or given up.

It’s pretty expensive here too, around 250 to 400$. I understand the point to want people to be responsible, but at the same time, I wonder if they really want thoses animals to being adopted.

2 Likes

I had a Golden Retriever when I was a teenager…he was a spazz and anything but cuddly LOL. My son wanted a frisbee dog so we got him a border collie. I always gravitated toward larger dogs, our last dog was a full Collie (like Lassie) but Ive never gotten closer to a dog than I am my sons dog, Echo. Not only does she not smell like a dog but she is the most affectionate, loving, smart dog Ive ever had…Ive had lab mixes, my Golden, boxers, collies, a Pomeranian (he was very affectionate too but a very tiny dog) and our Bichon Nico who is still with us. We lost our collie Isabelle a couple years ago, she was a big girl and her hips went bad, we kept her moving and in therapy but eventually the pain got to be too much and she started having neurological problems.
I wanted another collie but we thought a border collie would be better for my son. Had I known what awesome dogs border collies were I would have gotten one a long time ago.
Just in case you want to rethink getting a golden. I think the problem with Golden and Labs is they have been so overbred you have to be really careful where you buy.

1 Like

@CindyLouWho @MilosMeadows Same in GA, adoption fee is $25-30, this is why I was so surprised that Victoria said it’s $500 in Canada.

1 Like

I don’t know if it’s the same everywhere in Canada, but that’s what it is here unfortunately. I’d adopt all the shelter dogs if I could, I’d much rather have a shelter pup.

1 Like

I had a problematic Golden also.

1 Like

@MilosMeadows Congratulations on you Tinky sale! Will you do more alternatives in the future? I remember how worried you were about reborning that sculpt :slight_smile:

Thanks! I’m packing her up right now! Probably not, unless I’m really drawn to a sculpt. I don’t like very many of them and I can’t come up with anything creative to do with them. I like human babies lol

1 Like

Congrats!

I’m hoping mine sells soon…I won’t buy another alternative

Yours is really pretty! She’ll sell soon for sure! She’s an ugly duckling of a sculpt for sure, I agree about alternatives. I just don’t like them. I liked sewing for her, but she’s not my favorite and I’m glad she’s leaving lol

Oh no, it sounds like a bad baby day.

Dry him off, put him away. Do something else. Don’t quit.

Get the other baby listed.

From time to time ladies here find a little side hustle when they need some extra funds. I just bought a bracelet from someone on this forum. My sons name is never on any of the personalized stuff and if it is it’s spelled wrong. He is going to be so excited to get a bracelet with his name on it. If she sells ten of those she has a hundred buck in her pocket.

I am not sure if you are crafty or can bake but Etsy and here on this forum are good places to sell something cute and well made to raise a little puppy money.

Candles, cookies, jewelry, paci holders, headbands, crochet hats and booties…

I am making preemie clothes this week (at least I am going to try, I suck at sewing). I just can’t find cute stuff for babies under 17 inches. The stuff on Etsy is way over priced and not all that cute.

I don’t know if you sew but hobby lobby always has really nice fabric on sale and you can get really cute patterns for free or cheap (Etsy). I also found a site that makes cute little clothes for photo shoots and they have a you tube channel so you can watch them sew.

They use things they buy at thrift shops!

I am sorry you are having a hard time, sometimes you just need to step away and let go, close that door a minute and go open a window.

I bought Ephram (100 bucks!) for the contest and I stressed myself out so much that I ruined him (not ruined but not prototype standards) I donated him and forgot about the contest, didn’t put anymore energy into it, did other things and it all worked out.

Hope things get better.

4 Likes

Thanks :slight_smile: I just sold a doll so I’m doing okay for right now. And I have a job interview tomorrow, so I’m hoping that goes well.
We don’t have hobby lobby here :frowning: I don’t have a sewing machine either so I’m not confident enough that my stuff would hold up super well if I sold it.

I have multiple patterns from there, I love them. The Adalynn (not sure if that spelling is right) is my favorite by far but I also have the Allen and another that I can’t remember the name of. This is my baby nephew in the “Allen” pattern I made with a matching slouchy hat (Just a sweater sleeve tied shut at one end lol)
IMG_0507

3 Likes

I too have had several breeds over my lifetime. A year ago we bought a Australian Shepherd puppy (they are very close to Border Collies I have been told). She is the smartest dog I have ever had. She is loving and so loyal. I too would have gotten this type dog had I known what great dogs they are.

1 Like

Ahhh. I see.

Well good luck.

We were looking at Aussies as well. There are a lot of people here who breed for sheep herding and I nearly feel guilty because I think she would be so good at that but we don’t have sheep. I do intend to get some chickens so maybe I can teach her to round them up for us but she will need some training so she just doesn’t chase them all over the place LOL. She did try herding the cats but they taught her quickly that they don’t want to play that game :wink:

2 Likes

My service dog in training is a newfoundland.

Negan

4 Likes

He’s beautiful! There are a few litters of Newfies available right now, I love them but my dog is terrified of them so I don’t want to do that to her.
TBH we’re not totally set on a golden, we’re still looking around. I’m just leaning towards them because it’s one of my favorite breeds (along with beagles but we couldn’t handle a second one :rofl:) Honestly, i’ll get whichever pup speaks to me when it’s time to adopt.

Newfs are the best. Negan is super smart. Learned. Sit. Lay down and speak at 12 weeks old in 3 days

1 Like

Such a smart boy! I absolutely adore them, my neighbor has a big Newfie named Tiny and he’s one of the most gorgeous and sweetest dogs I’ve met. My dog is so scared of him, and other newfies that we’ve met though. Even a younger one that wasn’t fully grown terrified her. She might get used to one if she lived with one, but I don’t want to risk it.

@Gabriell I like Etsy and wanted to open my store there as I think I can sell a few thing there, but stopped when they ask for my SSN. Why do they need my SSN for selling my craft stuff?

1 Like