Prismacolor hair help

So I have watched tons of videos but Iam still struggling with painted/ prisms pencil hair what am I doing wrong ?

1 Like

It has to be varnished first

4 Likes

It Has to be varnished before you can put it on with pencil ? Is that what you’re saying I’m sorry I’m new at this i use air dri paints so what would I need to put on it

2 Likes

Yes ! Varnish first do the pencil can grab onto it . Some places it will be still hard to paint .
I noticed when baking with varnish on my head must stand in the oven and not lay . So no towel or whatever you have in the Owen should touch the varnished heads parts .

3 Likes

I do varnish / bake / cool .
And draw / varnish / bake / cool
Repeat until I am happy

3 Likes

Mine are air dry paints . But Iam also asking am I on the right path or not lol

It has to have a bit of texture first in order for the pencil to write. When I do mine I do small lines about 2-3 inches long normally a bit shorter. Over and Over until I am happy. Then I pounce more varnish on it and bake and cool twice.
If I think it needs more I add a layer of tinted varnish in a light color that matches the prisma color.

I have done air dry with prisma and used decoart media soft touch varnish pounced on with a sponge and let dry for a day or so before drawing on it. It may take more than one layer to get the texture enough for the pencils to write

3 Likes

Will any of this work

2 Likes

I am not sure I have not used any of those products before

1 Like

Ok ty for your advise

The Liquitex slow dry and the JoSonja retarder are to put in your paint to keep it from drying too fast, they both do the same thing. The outdoor sealer is better for varnish after you are finished painting. It works really good as varnish but you have to be quick and pounce it on evenly before it dries on you, so if you use it do small areas at a time.
I use Liquitex Matte Gel mixed with water for a sealer and that also has tooth (sandpapery feel) to it so it will help with the pencil.
Are you just practicing with a test head because there does not seem to be any paint on it?

2 Likes

Yes lol practice head ! Thanks for advise ! Yes I use the middle one as my sealer so can I use it then use pencil ?

2 Likes

I use derwent inktense for air dry paints as they are water based and not oil like prisma. I haven’t tried hair painting yet but I will soon.

4 Likes

Thank you Iam gonna try them . If you haven’t painted hair what r you using them on . If you don’t mind me asking

1 Like

I use them on creases and eyebrows.

1 Like

What colors do u use ? Do u have pictures of a baby you done with them ? So I can see if I want to order . I wanted to try pencil on my creases but I couldn’t get the prisms to work

I use airdry paint, and do not varnish before I do prisma. I just draw right on top of the painted head. I do not heat set the pencil in any way. So instead of pouncing which would remove much of the pencil, I gently use a brush and follow the direction of the hair. I use beige, sandbar, light umber, dark brown, dark umber, cool grey, and black. I’ve bought a few more but haven’t used them yet.

21 Likes

Is this all prisma?

1 Like

Yup

3 Likes

Looks great, Im still learning, I love how you do it❤️

2 Likes