Primary vs flesh colors

This baby is beautiful!

1 Like

Hugs hang in there.

Thank you

You ladies are lucky @Peachtree and @YelenaRey. I wish I had a fellow reborner near me that i could share in this hobby with. I used to go to scrapbooking workshops with fellow scrapbookers which was a lot of fun. And it gives you a chance to share your tools, supplies, and ideas with friends.

1 Like

What I would like to know is, how do you get a fair complexion when using only primary colors for the flesh tone? Do you use some white at certain points of the process? I am wanting to create a fair skinned baby with primary colors but I just end up with a baby that has a light tan complexion or one with more soft yellow undertones with that slight brown tint over it, if that makes sense. I’m puzzled about this. I’d like to learn this method so that I can reduce my use of flesh paint, as it can build up the chalkiness in creases over time, even when Gamsol is used and lots of blending. Could someone answer on how to get a fair skin baby using just primary colors for the flesh tone?

3 Likes

I could never get a fair skinned baby using primary, either.

1 Like

I’m wondering if there is a secret and what it is. I see a lot of prototype babies with a creamy whitish undertone, beneath their blushing and mottling. I’m guessing they are not painted using the primary color method or a mix of both flesh and primary.

Try using lighter washes (by adding white) on a test part and see if that works. Then let us know, please.

1 Like

My primary washes are so thin/light that it takes forever for color to change.

Jeanhai, I think I’ll do that.

1 Like

I can tell you that one of them makes the kit as white as this screen before starting whatever her process is.

I’m certainly no prototype artist, but the closest I ever got to achieving this was the time I added white to my paints.

5 Likes

Thanks. I’m going to play with some white on this doll I’m currently painting with primary color washes. I like creamy and fair complected babies, so I want to figure out how to do with the primary colors.

I think I know who mean that makes her kits white before painting. I have started doing some of that myself for peach and orange kits. It helps.

2 Likes

I am still experimenting. I work on several babies at a time and each batch I try something a little different.

I use washes I create, and flesh. I mostly use flesh to tone down the color and add some softness and create the skin tone I want. I don’t think I have ever used color out of the jar. It seems counter intuitive to me. I mix blue and green, red and blue, purple and brown, yellow and red…I make all kinds of combinations. My favorites are salmon, lavender, and rose.

I don’t like to see bold mottling I like it to be subtle so I use flesh when I am done mottling, I dilute the flesh tones I mix and sometimes I will just do some brown washes to deepen the color.

I tend to make darker babies just on the verge of ethnic.

Maybe I will try primary just for fun to see what it looks like and post it.

If you need to experiment you can get a cheap watercolor pallet at Michaels or HL with a coupon, get the one with four rows of color. Just sit and play and see how the colors work together, how they build on each other the bonus is the kids can play too.

Here are a couple babies. This is always a work in progress.(upload://f36w1x1YtOb8uNieAXKHHctlJtV.jpeg)

19 Likes

Your babies are beautiful.

2 Likes

Love your skintones :heart:

2 Likes

They are Gorgeous! I Love your hair painting too!! Wish I could get a grip on that. :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

I’ve been trying the primary color method for the second time and am about to throw the towel in again. I can’t get anything but a baby that looks like he’s grown a light suntan (nothing wrong with that skin color, and one day I may give it a try). But I like to create creamy, fair complected babies, like the babies in my family. My cousin’s latest baby has the creamiest skin with the lightest, delicate purple-red mottle, eyelid purple color on his little lids, and a touch of rose blush in his cheeks, with the sweetest rose colored lips. I can’t get it with the primary color method without white, which tends to take things into the chalky zone. So, unless anyone has any tips on how to fix this problem, I’m going back to light flesh layers with lots of color washes to bring life to the skin.

4 Likes

I think that might work better for the complexion you’re describing on your cousin’s baby. If you want very fair, try doing mottling and blushing without flesh layers on a test piece and see if it’s closer to what you’re aiming for. There’s no law that says you have to apply 10 or 20 layers of paint on every baby. It’s the end result that matters.

4 Likes

I usually do only 2-3layers of blue and red, only one or two of yellow, and a lot of different mottling colors (very thin).
I never used flesh colors. I can add sienna brown or purple, depend on the result I want. The mottling and blushing give the skin tone

14 Likes

This baby has beautiful skin tones. I’d forget the primary method and do your own thing.

3 Likes

@Leabelle That is such a perfect fair skin tone. I didn’t know that tone could be achieve with primary colors. Great to know!

3 Likes