Primary vs flesh colors

Yes. I love color on my dolls. Maybe it’s because of my skin tone. For Caucasian and blue eyes I always had darker Italian skin.

1 Like

Use flesh tone to base out the kit, then only mottle and wash layers until my final layer which is flesh 06. I have a couple of WIP threads that I use to document my process for myself. I am not 100% happy with myself yet, but I have no desire to try primary method.

That’s fine :). We all paint the way we do because we are mainly happy with the outcome. I look at it this way. If someone doesn’t like my dolls there are so many other artists to choose from :blush::hugs:

1 Like

This one was my first done with primary colors:

This one was done using flesh paints and color washes:

I only use GHSPs, and I never varnish before painting.

12 Likes

Love! Gorgeous!

2 Likes

I tried the Primary Method for the first time on my latest reborn and I LOVE it. So much so that I probably won’t go back to using premixed flesh tones. I use GHSP and found that the premixed flesh tones would end up too yellow and it was hard to come back from that. With the Primary Method I was able to build up the skin toned I wanted really quickly. I think I only did about 3 rounds of it to achieve what I was looking for. Here are the steps I took with my most recent baby and I baked in b/w each step…

1. Flesh 08 Base Layer
  2. Blue Shadowing and Veining
  3. Dirty Purple Mottle
  4. Dirty Red Mottle
  5. Primary Layer 1 - Blue First (let dry), Yellow (let dry), Red (let dry)
  6. Repeat Step 5
  7. Repeat Step 5
  8. Creases
  9. Blushing
  10. Small Touches
  11. Varnish

P.S. My camera isn’t great…the details are much more visible in person.

11 Likes

Oh, no! I wasn’t implying that primary method isn’t good. I love your babies and I think they’re awesome. I just have another point of view. I started with skin tones and have learned all my little work-arounds so far with that method. If I switched to primary, I’d have to do all that troubleshooting all over again.

2 Likes

I use GHSP. That would be great. I want to try something new for these next few dolls.

I love the deep creases, in looks anyway lol it’s one of the most tedious boring parts of making a baby for me although it’s where I feel like the baby finally comes to life.

I only use the primary method. I do one round of primary (yellow, blue, red), then mottle, then another round of primary. If I want the baby a little darker skinned I’ll finish up with one layer of burnt umber.

14 Likes

I’m not home right now but I can send it when I get home this afternoon

Claire, So you only do primary twice or as many as it takes to get this result?? That’s lovely color on your adorable baby-surely it took more than 2 primary series. Thanks!

1 Like

Twice usually does it for me along with the burnt umber. I know you are supposed to do very thin primary layers but I go a touch heavier on the primary paints because I figure why not? I achieve the skin tone I want faster that way. My mottling also helps darken the baby.

3 Likes

I do either or, depending on the skin tone I’m going for. I prefer flesh if I’m painting pale, for a darker tone I do primary. I use GHSP.

I didn’t take it in a bad way at all :slight_smile: I think your dolls are amazing!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::kissing_heart:

Thank you. I ran out of my depression medication at the first of the year, so it really has its teeth and me by now. Combined with my anxiety, it makes me very self-conscious. I feel nervous and weird all the time, especially with social interactions.

I get to see my psychiatrist at the end of next week, so hopefully I’ll get back in the swing of things. Right now, I’m hating everything that I touch. I feel like I’m doing a terrible job and that I’m never going to be good enough. I have three kits that have sat untouched in my studio for 2 weeks, which is unheard of for me. At this point, I don’t know what else to do besides wait it out and hope that my new psychiatrist a new medicine can fix me :woman_shrugging:

6 Likes

Elizabeth, I don’t know if it will help or add more pressure, but do you want to meet somewhere for lunch or dinner since we are in the same city? You are very talented and should not second guess yourself.

3 Likes

Well now her nursery name makes total sense to me! LOL :heart:

1 Like

Thank you, that’s very kind! I would love to meet up sometime. I actually live outside ATL. I grew up around Peachtree City and now live in LaGrange. My schedule doesn’t give me much free time save for weekends. Are there any other reborn artists in our area? A mini-meet would be a great way to talk shop and have some fun.

4 Likes

I am so sorry to hear about the depression and anxiety. Been there, trust me. I will be praying for you through this. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like