Painted Hair or Rooted?

Hi Ladies, I’ve noticed that I’m seeing more and more people painting hair instead of rooting. I know that things have changed a lot since I started reborning myself. I guess my question is which do you all prefer? Painted or rooted hair? I know that rooting is very time consuming and I imagine painting can be as well. I have not been brave enough to try my hand at painting. Was just curious as to what you all thought. :grinning:

1 Like

I am new to reborning (nov. 2015) and have only rooted once and I used ruby red and hated the whole process… so I havent tried again. But hope to soon. (I bought better mohair) I also have small kids so it is hard to have out and them mot get into it, etc.

I have not tried painted hair.

I have been doing prisma.

5 Likes

Rooting is a big job sometimes. Quality mohair makes it a little easier in my experience. If you are rooting a big head you will literally be ready to scream. At least that’s been my experience. It takes time and patience. But the end result is worth it in my opinion.

6 Likes

I really prefer rooted hair. I have not seen much painted hair that I really like. Just my opinion.

5 Likes

I think it is a personal preference but I will just state from my experience what I have found…

I have surveyed reborners and customers several times over the last few years…Many REBORN ARTIST seem to be interested in painted hair …I think it is because we are artist so look at things with an artist eye and it impresses us to see some one able to take something that has lots of movement, shade and light and paint it realistic enough that we can’t tell it is painted…sort of like being able to paint water or a lightning bolt with reflections on the clouds well enough to look like a photo…unfortunately, though there are lots of nicely painted heads and ladies that do lovely jobs, there are only a few real “masters” in the art whose dolls are able to command the highest prices. Some reborn artist also prefer painting hair for cost and time saving reasons…at least that is what I have heard…I don’t paint hair so won’t state that emphatically as a reason…lol

Customers, depending on their reason for collecting, are more impressed with rooted hair (from what I found through surveying large groups of buyers on several different occasions) They consider it more realistic…I am not saying everyone…only those who responded which were quite a few…Many said that the painted hair was dolly like to them - granted it probably was because the dolls they could or would buy were not from Master hair artist??? Many said that though they saw painted hair dolls that were well done, they preferred rooted and I have to say that I have had quite a few painted haired babies come to me with request that I root over it so…

I personally like rooted hair better…I have both in my collection and my painted hair babies were from one of the best in the business back when I bought them…(though I have only a limited number because I don’t see many that inspire me to pay the prices asked for the ones that impress me enough to be tempted to buy them) There have been lots of advancements in hair painting since I purchased them so I am only speaking from my personal experience with my personal collection…Even though I love the dolls, if I had not paid so much for them and was not a collector who believes in leaving my collection dolls untouched because I collect artist, not just dolls… I would root over some of the heads…Again. it is personal and not a point of what is better…

As a point to consider, look at many of the well known proto artist -…not necessarily ones we personally hold up as the best but who are generally - by the public- considered highly sought after, highly paid and you will see that most all of them root their dolls…I have also watched some proto artist that moved across to painted hair for a short period, started getting less money for their doll and move back across to rooted hair…AGAIN… this is not all artist but a generalized statement based on my personal research of the industry over the last 10 years as a collector and artist…

So to answer your question…like most everything about reborning…it all comes down to personal taste…You are going to get positive and negatives from either point of view…

9 Likes

Repeat after me. No… No… No… (insert childs name here, for me its Bella) now repeat it like a thousand times lol. Miss Beela still tries to grab mine with her sticky hands. But at least she learned how to say no. Now she tells her big brothers hoo hoo, go away, got the hand sweeping motion down pat too! (Hoo hoo means shoo shoo ) :wink:

7 Likes

I love rooted hair if it’s well done. I love painted hair if it’s well done. Either if not well done, ruins the look of the doll in my opinion. I am highly allergic to mohair so paint is my only option, unless I choose bald, which I’ve done a few times. I’d LOVE to try rooting human hair but the idea of rooting hair that was actually growing out of someone’s scalp skeeves me out. If I ever get past that, though, I want to try it!

8 Likes

Hahahahha…I love you Karen…you always make me smile or chuckle or laugh out loud…lol

I sure understand the allergy bit…i can root mohair but found out I was highly allergic to Alpaca - the hard way - will never ever touch it again so you definitely have my sympathy…

3 Likes

As someone who reborns, I prefer the painted hair. For me it is easier and quicker. I am still learning how to do it though so I’ve only done about 6 or 7 heads. I hate rooting. It is hard on my wrists and hands. I think buyers prefer to have rooted hair and I did too in the beginning but I hate how it gets messed up easily.

5 Likes

@westernstarr I was holding @snuggle2me and @AmyR777 babies on my lap yesterday & both are rooted. When I set them down my arm had a big red welt on it…yikes…Benadryl to the rescue! MAKES me sad. I used to LOVE to root, I found it very peaceful.

6 Likes

It was so sad, too, because Marissa loves to snuggle with Auntie Karen. :wink:

6 Likes

And you KNOW I love holding her; she’s worth the risk. :heart:

5 Likes

As a collector I prefer painted hair. The artistry behind a good painted hair blows me away, With that being said I think rooted sale better.

5 Likes

I try to make my dolls look as realistic as possible. Although I have seen some very nice painted hair, it is more realistic to do rooted hair instead of painted. To me, painted hair still says “doll” too much.

4 Likes

To each their own. If rooted hair is done well, it’s beautiful, of course.

5 Likes

I have both rooted hair and painted in my personal collection and although I never thought I would say this, I prefer the painted. My rooted hair babies have beautiful realistic hair and were purchased for high prices from some of the most sought after prototype artists, but I found myself so worried about pulling the hair out that I never used my headbands or little hats. I don’t “play” with my babies, but do want to change them sometimes. I just looked at and displayed the rooted hair, the painted I feel free to enjoy in more ways. That said, my painted hair are also done by really amazing artists and is very realistic or I might feel differently. I hope this makes sense.

10 Likes

Makes perfect sense. :relaxed:

4 Likes

Really it is sort of like comparing apples with oranges…one is not better than the other…they are both just different and everyone will have preferences and both have advantages and disadvantages…There is a market for both…after all…all we need for a sale is one person who likes what we have done, right?..

7 Likes

Exactly @westernstarr :slight_smile:

Truthfully, there are probably as many opinions as there are reborners.

5 Likes

Amen sister…I agree with you on that one…lol

3 Likes