Occasional BB kits with paint coming off

I am stumped. I just recently painted Clyde Awake for a customer and I made sure to clean him with hot soapy water and then an alcohol rub before painting him with GHSP. I baked him to almost 270 for 10 minutes. When I later went to seal him with GHS Matte Varnish the paint on his knuckles and part of the tip of his nose came right off down to the bare vinyl. Now I’m having a similar problem with Tristan Eagles. I’m almost done with his skin painting and just heated him again, to 270, and put his eyes in from the front. Where the acrylic eye bumped the area above his eye the paint has come off down to the bare vinyl. I don’t understand what is going on. I rarely have had this problem. I always bake with a thermometer, and even checked it with another thermometer to be sure it is accurate. If I bake them any hotter or longer they will get shiny. Is this happening to anyone else? Is there something I can do?

3 Likes

:sob: :scream: I would be sooo upset :frowning:

1 Like

Following.

1 Like

Ladies, I really feel for you. It’s just gut busting when you see all your work just come off when you know it shouldn’t be. It just scraped off where the edge of the eye touched it. Here’s my theory: oily kits. Even though we are cleaning them, they are extra oily and oil is seeping out from the inside. Sure wish there was a way to figure out how to stop it.

1 Like

Oh man. This is terrible!!!

Wonder if maybe putting matte sealer inside head and around inside eye sockets would help paint stay, and remove oils?

It’s not just eyes, it’s happening on fingers, lips, noses, and feet/toes.

1 Like

That happened on my Kase asleep on one side of his face while I was rooting him, all the way to bare vinyl. I re built the layers and re cooked each layer and it was fine once I got it all re painted. I think the problem is adding several layers before baking them. So I have started doing a thick first layer and cooking before going any further and so far that is the only kit I have had issues with.

3 Likes

I have seen advice not to wet the inside of a kit BUT I always wash my new kits inside with dawn-really well- scrub with a soft veggie brush. I tip the parts up to drain in my dishrack, then stuff with paper towels & allow to air dry several days. Have never had a mold or oiley problem. It is hard to wait to start a new kit but worth the time. If you put your fingers in a kits head it’s hard to believe how oiley they are! Feels nasty! & quiet different after washing. I appreciate all the wonderful help & tips from all you great ladies! Hope this helps someone else!

2 Likes

Grandian, I only wash the outside of my kits. Started doing that a year ago. I use Dawn and a child’s toothbrush plus a soft cotton cloth to scrub the kits. I’m thinking maybe washing the inside even if just a little less than what soaking it would do might reduce the oils in some of the kits. Wish there was an easy fix to this. It’s getting to where I am wanting to go back to air dry paints, although not sure this problem wouldn’t happen with those as well. It would be interesting to take a poll and find out who washes the inside and outside of their kits and who only washes the outside.

Amanda, half of the face is terrible. I would have cried. How were you able to match it all back up? I’d have a hard time with that. I try to write down all my layers as I go now. I’m not sure this is caused by not baking as often between layers. I used to do that method more when I was a newer artist and had no issues like this. It’s mostly been BB kits that are doing this for me. The only time it happened to an expensive kit was when I wasn’t heating it long enough for the GHSP to set well. With Clyde Awake and with Tristan I didn’t do too may layers before baking. I wish we could trouble shoot what the main cause of this is so we can find a good fix.

1 Like

Is this a crazy suggestion? What about putting baby powder or corn starch on the inside of the kits for a day and then dumping it out? Just enough to shake around and coat the inside of the limbs and head?

1 Like

Or is the oil inside and through out the vinyl?

1 Like

It’s on the inside and outside for sure. But most likely through the vinyl too from the processing. I think it seeps out over time, more in some kits than others. At least that is my theory.

1 Like

So, if I seal my next BB kit with thinning medium it may help keep the paint from coming off? I’m guessing it helps seal the vinyl so the oils can’t get through and interfere with the paint.

1 Like

Watching this! PLease everyone share any remedies/processes you have used successfully. Sadly, I just ordered and recieved several of the kits mentions! Nuts.

1 Like

I noticed the paint coming off of my finished Kimberly as well. Her ears, hands, knees, toes, and heels! Does sealing the kit with thinning medium before leave any texture? I don’t mean just the rough texture of the matte, I mean any texture at all. I don’t know how well textures would work with washes.

2 Likes

Anita, thanks for the info! Will try this. Going to start Lil Treasure and put Tristan back on the shelf. :pensive:

Torylinn, so sorry to hear you are experiencing this. I wonder if it is happening more than it used to with these kits. Maybe the factory is doing something different and more oils are being left behind. Wish there was a conclusive answer to why and a solution.

Cainchar, hopefully your kits won’t have this problem. Some who have done Clyde have not had a problem.

1 Like

I rarely do a BB kit nowadays, but I remember back when there was a problem with oily kits. But this seems to be something else. When the kits were seeping oil you could certainly feel it and as it was coming from inside of the vinyl, there was nothing really that could be done. Washing or wiping it did little; the oil kept seeping and diluting the paints and made them hard to set. But it has been many years now since I have seen an oily kit. NOT counting those I overheated; those went shiny as the excess heat probably released some of the oils in the vinyl. But new kits nowadays do not feel oily, they are clean and dry, and I do not wash them.

The only thing I can recommend is to contact the manufacturer, everybody who has this problem. Take good pics and send them to BB or whoever else made the kit. If you bought the paints recently, you could also contact GENESIS and ask if they changed anything lately.

1 Like

These are the same paints I’ve been using for over three years. It’s lasted that long. When I did Noah Schick recently there were no problems. Paints stayed on great, sealed great.

You said you don’t wash your kits. How do you make sure the paints adhere ok over the vinyl? Do you have any problems with any factory dirt on them?

The kits I get all seem to be nice and clean, no oily feeling or anything else that looks like it needs cleaning. I have been reboning about 8 years and stopped washing my kits years ago. Never had paint coming off. There were some that had oily patches and the paint was not setting, and sometimes I look at a baby I did year back and think it looks bit paler than I remember it, but I never seen one that the paint just came off to bare vinyl.

2 Likes