No layaway anymore

I won’t do them. Too much trouble. Too much lost.
If someone is ready to buy thoses things without batting an eye and have no problem paying in full, for a toy, why they are not able to do the same for an art piece, a collectible doll ?

Nah. If you can’t buy it at my price right now, come back later or put it on your credit card. I think PayPal offer a payment plan now too.

5 Likes

I don’t do layaways, never have, if they can’t afford it, the next person can and it will sell eventually.

I can’t buy all my supplies on layaway so I’m not going to do it with the finished product

5 Likes

I do layaways on an individual basis.

3 Likes

Very good point.

Everything had been going well with my layaways. They were short-term and people followed through. But this lady… she agreed to a payment plan, but has literally been paying me $50 every two weeks. Since she was a former customer, I only charged a small deposit… The total was around $700, so when in 2022 will this doll be paid for? :sweat_smile:

I’m irritated anyway with this, but really got annoyed when more supplies had to be paid for with my credit card instead of PayPal. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Me too, I’ve done 2, both were repeat customers and they were very short layaways, like could they pay half now and the rest in a couple weeks, more so I wouldn’t sell the baby in the meantime. In general though I don’t offer them to new customers. If they don’t have the money at the end or change their mind I can’t imagine most customers just write off the amount they paid without an issue, not something I’m interested in dealing with either!

3 Likes

They can do their own lay away. Put money each pay ino a lock box. When they have enough in there they can purchase the doll and pay in full.

4 Likes

Exactly !

I just had a revelation because my son wanted this for Christmas. I told him to just put money aside until he has enough. Then I thought, why should it be different with my dolls ? Lego store don’t offer layaways !

2 Likes

I agree that layaways are odd. I’ve never understood them either. Either you can pay, or you can’t.
But I gotta say, that star ways Lego set is as much a toy as a reborn doll is. They’re made for collectors, not for children.

1 Like

Lego are considered toys as much as collectibles, like reborn dolls. People dress and roleplay with reborns, and child and adult built and play with the Legos. Some people just put them on display (they still have to build the set). I see no difference at all.

I said it because you said they pay that much for a toy, but not for a collectable like a reborn. So I read it like you making a distinction between them. But you’re right, they’re similar like that.

1 Like

I guess I can understand why layaway would be good for some people.

I’m a saver these days, but when I was young and broke I needed furniture. Didn’t have the money for it, so I put it on layaway. When I tried to save up for it prior to that, it’s like the money ran out of my purse. I didn’t seem to have the self-control to be able to just save it, so layaway kind of forced me to do that.

Recently I was on vacation, decided to extend it but ran out of money. Everything went on a credit card. That’s layaway in a sense, but at least the kind that doesn’t inconvenience other people.

PayPal is always offering credit for purchases. Really wish customers would use that instead.

1 Like

Well again I say; “Thank you to those that do offer layaway”, as I am one that needs it if the price is high! If anyone want to know from me why it is best for me just send me a PM and I will explain to you.

2 Likes

If all customers where serious as you with layaways, more artists will gladly offer them. Sadly a lot of people think it’s not serious and back out of it, often with no notice or explanation, and we have to cut our lost.
A deposit is nice, but it’s not a sale.

On about 9-10 layaways I did, only half of them had gone through.
It’s sad but I am tired to try to communicate with them to forcefully get a payment here and there.

I think a lot of customers, not all for sure, just see it as a “reservation” and not as a engagement.

It’s sad for people who really could benefit from it.

3 Likes

Yes, I am serious, lol. I also respect a non refundable deposit! On a kit it should be less than on a painted baby. I sure do understand why Layaways are frowned upon!

3 Likes

I tried a layaway but the first payment didn’t come on the Wednesday it was supposed to. I messaged and got silence. I waited until the following Monday and then messaged again to let the person know I relisted the doll and that paypal has an option for payments. I think I’m going to state my layaway policy is through PayPal and the options will be displayed while checking out.

4 Likes

I send a NRD the second I ask about and am approved for the layaway whether the person asks for one or not so that they know I am serious. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I am with you all my life i only buy when i have the money , otherwise nope !
My parents brought me up that way if i wanted something i had to save till i had it
It is luxury not something you really nead

6 Likes

@ineke1957 I have something on Layaway and I really need it. :thinking: :slightly_smiling_face: yep I do. Just playing with you, I really do understand life’s lessons. But this is the best way sometimes for me. And I don’t want to discourage my friends from offering it if they choose to do so. But believe me I only use layaway with people I trust and that trust me. :hugs:

4 Likes

Reborns are luxury items, but when you see one you’re totally in love with it will be gone by the time you save enough money. I guess the answer is don’t look until you’ve saved a few hundred dollars.

5 Likes

Hundreds? :upside_down_face:

3 Likes