New/thrifted, washed/unwashed, dark/light, diapers/no diapers, etc

Once Upon a Child. I’ve gotten a few things from good will but they don’t have much around me and you really have to dig and I just don’t have the patience. But I LOVE once upon a child. Most of my clothes come from there, Carter’s clearance racks, Kate Quinn, and Amazon! … and target and Walmart

5 Likes

I buy vintage outfits from Thrift Stores and from ladies on here. I buy new clothes also. I use diapers and am currently trying to switch to cloth diapers only. A lot of my dolls that go out are in a costume of some kind, new or thrift. I love pacis, and I will crochet a few things. As I am beginning to paint less and acquire a larger Collection, more clothes, diapers, shoes are new instead of from the Thrift Store ( no GW here). But I am addicted to buying baby shoes. I bought 4 no 5 pair of shoes today, lol!

2 Likes

I love thrifting for household items and clothes, but haven’t been doing it at all during Covid. The vast majority of my own wardrobe was used, bought from thrift stores or consignment shops. I wouldn’t hesitate to dress reborns in clean used clothes in good shape.

That being said, because I got my Bindi orangutan sculpt during the pandemic, and because she only fits preemie clothes and I had zero baby clothes, everything of hers has been brand new and bought online. She only wears a t-shirt and diaper cover and headband, since anything else will matt the hair on her limbs. I don’t have a whole layette for her, not even a change of outfit. (There are different color hair bows but white is the go-to.)

I just recently got a human reborn and it came with mostly untagged clothes. If clothes are in good shape, once they are washed they are technically used anyway, so it doesn’t matter to me. And all clothes for my reborns get washed by me even if they look clean or new on arrival. The only exception might be something both handmade and white. Don’t want to risk anything coming apart.

I’ve upgraded all disposal diapers to Thirsties brand “diaper covers” instead. I put them directly on the doll without an absorbent layer underneath. Then I don’t have to be concerned about disposables discoloring the doll and they don’t need the constant saggy adjustment either.

I personally don’t enjoy the physical act of changing clothes on dolls. But having one that fits commonly found sizes might be a game changer. After it feels safer for me to do so, I’ll probably be getting more clothes for them at thrift stores.

Although I wouldn’t hesitate to indulge in something new and luxurious for them, either. They won’t outgrow it, stain it, or wear it out. You don’t have to be practical when they aren’t hard on their things and are out on display.

Bindi is on permanent display since her hair makes her a bit of a touch-me-not. The human reborn gets held sometimes and is otherwise covered. Partner doesn’t like seeing an abandoned baby, it freaks him out.

3 Likes

Have you shown Bindi? I’d love to see, or can you post a link to it? My Binki is done but is for the Cake Smash/Alternative Parade.

2 Likes

@AnnieSokay
Linking is complicated. Lol
You can see her in posts:
Preemie T-shirt Anatomy/Cloth Diaper Memories
and
Holds her own pacifier
also
Honeybugs for Bindi

That last one shows paci sizes comparison.
My Bindi was prepainted,prerooted and has the newer, larger head.
She was reborned by Jlesser. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thank you! She is so cute, I love her. In case anyone else wanted to see I have linked her!

I will remember that Bindi can hold a Honeybug Paci :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Ty! I love her too. I’m trying to send you some extra pix but having issues. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I plan on painting Bindi sometime this year.

2 Likes

Vintage items that are still in excellent condition would be an exception for me. I have purchased vintage Petite Ami smocked dresses and bubble suits for my own babies and once in a very while I have included one on a baby I sold but I stated the outfit was vintage.

2 Likes

@anjsmiles
Vintage or antique is special.

But I went for so long without paying any attention to baby clothes that I was thinking “vintage” was the norm and didn’t recognize it as such when I saw it. I dressed my own real life baby in soft classics over 20 years ago.

The modern clothes that stood out to me were obvious; onesies with phrases on them, tutus for all ages, and jeggings. Sparkly Ugg style boots. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Either no diapers or cloth diapers on my keepers. I don’t even magnetize mine for pacis anymore because I want to see their faces. Love finding vintage clothes and crochet at thrift stores. I like getting outfits from @Debdi ‘s Etsy shop, and once in a while i’ll buy from Next USA. They have some really pretty things.

2 Likes

What do you crochet?

2 Likes

What is NextUSA?

Next Official Site: Online Fashion, Kids Clothes & Homeware US hub for British website

1 Like

Blankets, hats and I use the Loom for booties. I am not an expert but I try, lol! @Ladybuggirl

2 Likes

I go to savers. Once in a while I’ll go to the goodwill.

2 Likes

Where I’m at, the Goodwills are great and there’s many of them.
There are less Value Villages/Savers and they are more run down.

But the most bottom of the barrel thrifting, closest thing you’ll ever find to dumpster diving, is shopping at the Goodwill Outlet store. Where everything that already had a chance to sell at the normal Goodwills but didn’t is all brought out mixed up in giant rolling bins.
Don’t bother showering for this excursion, cause you’ll need one afterwards. Dozens of people stand around waiting for fresh bins to be rolled out, it’s brutal. Combat thrifting, shoulder deep through stuff that sometimes smells like urine, human infection, etc. Last chance before it’s part of a landfill. And if you don’t cover your cart, someone might snatch your finds right out while you dig.
The Goodwill Outlet is the closest thrifting near me. But I rarely have the stomach for it.

If you find something you want, it’s weighed and you’re charged by the pound, with few exceptions.
Now if you can find a treasure there, that’s really impressive.

3 Likes

I’ve seen YouTube videos about the Goodwill outlets. Sounds scary! :pleading_face:

1 Like

Ewwww gross :joy: no thanks!

2 Likes

Yeah, I love thrifting but that’s too rough for me most days!

1 Like