My babies have arrived!

Omg I’m so excited! They are so beautiful! I want to cry.

Now I’m scared.

Like a new mom the responsibility is to much. What if I ruin them? I don’t know who to start with.
June is bigger so easier? But has more detail, creases etc.! The detail difference between shyann and June is amazing. Less detail on shyann.

Maybe I should just do both at the same time. I’m going back to my intro and rereading all the advice and watching all the videos.

Thank you guys so much! I’m going to be searching the forums like crazy for more answers and hopefully won’t bug y’all to much!

image|666x500

10 Likes

And my newborn bonnets fit perfect, even though they look so much bigger than the newborns I photograph eek!

2 Likes

You probably already know this, but since June is a realborn, she has more detail and such. But, with the ones like Shyann, she is sculpted by an artist and may or may not have a lot of detail. I think I would personally start with the one that has the least detail. I may be wrong, but I have been told that it is not possible to ruin the dolls. Of course, that does not include melting them if you do heat set paints. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I would not do two at the same time. You will learn with the first one. If you do two at the same time you’ll do the same mistakes on both (and yes, it will be mistakes, but your first baby still will be so beautiful regardless!).
If you start with June, I think it will bust your confident as almost everyone’s realborn looks good, however you will learn more with a Shyann, as you will try harder to make her look real, thus will learn more to begin with.

7 Likes

I think you are right! I was just shocked by the differences because I’d never seen anything like either of them irl so I’m amazed. I’m glad I got one of each. Also glad I got one 3/4 limb and one full and one tie body and one zip tie body. I think I’ll do shyann with acrylics since I won’t have to bake them because I don’t have an oven or thinner for the genesis paints. And because like you said there is less detail. I’m going to get set up and get started. So afraid!!! :flushed:

It’s ok to bug us that’s how we all learned. Do the one with less detail first. It takes time so be very patient.

1 Like

I have something that might help you with GHSP, I’ll pm you if you want it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would do Shyann first. Most of us on here do not like her limbs and trade them for Londyns or a 20" reborns limbs, however I have seen a few Shyann’s with their original limbs and it was fine. My biggest hint - Have fun with her don’t worry about stripping unless you absolutely have to. They will look weird as you are going along but in the end will be fine. There are quite a few of us that use Air Dry Paints, so ask away and do what your heart tells you. Good Luck and enjoy!

2 Likes

Agreed! So that is where I’m starting :heart_eyes:. I’ve got a base skin coat, some VERY light veins and garish creases. The thing I’m having a tough time with is keeping it light. Idk if I have the patience to bake between each layer. I think I’d go mad

I’m being bad and using cheap acrylics because that’s all I have right now to work with. A no no I know but… we’ll yeah

3 Likes

That’s my biggest problem right there lol!!!

Zero patience!

I’ve been painting and listening/watching @Gabriell at the same time on YouTube
I keep worrying my layers aren’t going to be enough to cover the creases that I hate ugh

But then it’s not supposed to be covering and I know that. My baby just looks so white. [quote=“babymaw, post:6, topic:77150”]
It takes time so be very patient.
[/quote]

It looks nice. I started with folk art acrylics, cheap acrylic paint. I struggled to get thin layers and the details I wanted. I switched to Waterborne paints and it was like night and day. I still use Waterborne but mix in Golden acrylics too and enjoy making up my own colors. I also use the waterborne slo-dri which gives me more time to work. Might help you as you start your journey. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Looks good!

1 Like

So I’m at the point I was with my practice doll. Trying to bury the mottling and creases and blushing in layers of skin

The practice one became very chalky and I had tons of build up in my creases. I’ve been very diligent in keeping my creases clear but paint running through them takes the last layer off. I guess that’s what happens when using water and cheap paint :crazy_face: instead of making transulscent skin I’m basically sponging on tinted water that isn’t “sticking”

I’m trying to be a big girl and learn and not be frustrated but I see these beautiful babies with amazing depth to their skin and I can’t figure out how to do it lol. I can watch tutorials til “I’M” blue in the face but until “I” get it I’m not going to get it lol

3 Likes

Looking at pics of shyann next to June I guess she is getting a little color. Just not the depth I’m expecting

1 Like

I don’t use air dry so I could be wrong, but based on what I’ve read from the talented air dry users on here, maybe you need to add some kind of binders back into your paint? If adding one layer causes the layer underneath to run off and it isn’t adhering maybe that’s the issue. From what I understand, when you thin the paints with water you have to add binding agents back in (especially if you aren’t using artist grade acrylics). But like I said, I use GHSP so I could be wrong. Good luck, it’s looking good for a first attempt!

2 Likes

I did the same! I used FolkArt for my first baby and then switched to Waterborne. It WAS like day and night! I love those paints and they are so very reasonable in cost.

1 Like

I will try that! I saw something about a matte medium and I did by some but forgot about it!!! Thank you!

2 Likes

Where did you get those bonnets? They’re really cute! I need some like that

I made them. :heart_eyes: That is one of my reasons for reborning. To showcase what I knit for my studio​:heart_eyes: and to sell on Etsy [quote=“MilosMeadows, post:18, topic:77150, full:true”]
Where did you get those bonnets? They’re really cute! I need some like that
[/quote]

Where can I find them? [quote=“Jacelyn5440, post:16, topic:77150”]
switched to Waterborn
[/quote]