Mohair is a hot mess

@taylorsgirl Did you ever hear from them?

1 Like

What problem did you have? I just bought two batches so I would like to see if I have a similar problem. The hair is beautiful so far.

1 Like

Yes. Several weeks after trying to get a refund. I did get one

2 Likes

The hair I got was dull and dry. Obviously over processed. Again tho. I. Do think it was a fluke bad batch.

2 Likes

@Blissfulbabies Thank you, Mel :heartpulse: I’ll have to send you some mohair to try when I finish processing it :slight_smile:
I’m terrible at having several projects going at once and then I get overwhelmed :smile: I’m trying to stick with one project until I finish and then move onto the next. I’ll let you know if I’m successful :wink:

@CamsGigi Thank you, Tammy :blush: you’re too sweet :heartpulse: I LOVE your cuddle bodies :grinning:

@SnuggleBabiesNursery your Nevaeh turned out precious :blush:

1 Like

Thank you @Summer that’s so sweet.

1 Like

Thank you and so far this mohair from Angora Mohtique is beautiful The hair is so soft and fine. Loving it. I just started rooting one of my girls with it.

I will say, when I was rooting, the hair did get frizzy and messy but I think mohair does that. After I sprayed it and conditioned it, it took on the beautiful wavy curl.

She is looking great. Will share pics soon!

1 Like

Two different rootings from Angora Mohtique. Each one turned out great. The hair looked a bit messy until I wet and conditioned it. Then it waved up nicely!

Here is the black mohair.

Excuse any loose hair, I had just completed them and there might be trimmings still on the dolls.

2 Likes

I posted the pictures for you.

1 Like

How do you get the eyelashes to curl the right direction? Are th bottom ones painted or rooted and glued down?

What I do is I root them into the most appropriate area for the eyelash depending on the vinyl head and shape of the eyes. Then I root the eyelash in using a needle that has only one notch so you don’t get too many hairs in there. Then I wet the eyelashes with water and brush them up into shape with a toothbrush. I do that twice. I let them dry each time fully for a few minutes (usually with the warm bag of rice in the head right after rooting so the water dries faster) and when they are dry I trim them. They seem to just stay. Later I glue them in to make sure they stay. I hand painted the bottom lashes after I finished the layers of paint right before sealing. Afterwards I pull any that do not look good and I trim them so that the hairs look natural. I do not leave them all the same length, I stagger the lengths by using the tip of a hair cutting scissors very carefully. It is what works for me so far. On some dolls I use applied eyelashes, I just thought this one would be hard to use applied eyelashes so I rooted them very carefully with the vinyl warmed so that the vinyl was nice and soft and did not break my needle.

You might be able to root bottom lashes on some dolls but I have not done that yet, so far in my experience I think they look good painted. I paint a shorter layer of lashes, just a few and then I paint a couple long ones over that. I think they are looking adorable personally! But I think this depends on your doll, this is an older looking doll called Kendall. Even though she is not a toddler per say, she looks toddler-ish. Some babies might look better without the lower lashes.

1 Like

Thanks, that is what I do. Mine just do not look as good. I use straight Ruby Red. Did you use kid mohair ? They look very fine.

On these two dolls I used premium mohair from Angora Mohtique. I got two batches from her and I have to say, it’s pretty darn nice. it was wavy, shiny and well colored. I can not complain at all and while rooting it looked messy like any mohair. But after finishing the rooting, I wet it and it did beautiful, waves, curls, what ever I wanted. It worked out beautiful. You can see this hair better where I style it at the end of this video.

I start styling her at 17:22 minutes into the video if you want to skip over the rest.

I think that will show you the capabilities of that hair. I am very pleased with her hair. I got both black and medium brown but the medium brown was sort of light but it came out nicely as far as the end result. I want to try some blonde from her mohair stock. I was hoping she would send a sample but she didn’t but that is ok, the hair she sent is very beautiful. I do use a very fine hair cutting scissors to cut those lashes at the tips, kind of at a vertical angle to get the jagged edge of the eyelashes. I think this hair feels much finer than Ruby Red.

Thanks I use the Ruby Red only for eyelashes because it is straight. I tried some others but the mohair always tried to curl the wrong way :slight_smile:
I have several lots of Mohtique mohair in my cupboard; might try it on the next lashes I will root.