Kiln?

I had a wild thought. Could I bake a kit in my programmable kiln? Maybe set it on a towel, or would that catch on fire? I love to experiment, but I don’t want to burn my house down!!!

I do have a heat gun, and I understand from reading several posts here that that’s not ideal for an entire kit. But, I don’t want to invest in a Nuwave unless I decide that heat set is the way I want to go.

I ordered a few of both Genesis and Ultimate Fusion paints and some test parts to experiment on. I have had success using the cheap craft paint only on my Binki and Bindi. But, for some reason I failed miserably on Grant, which caused me to put all my kits into storage for two years. Now, after taking a few painting classes at college, I have the itch to try reborning again.

1 Like

I think a kiln would get way too hot. You’d end up with a puddle of vinyl.
I’d just try artist grade air dry paints.

2 Likes

It has a digital program key pad. So I can set it to whatever temperature and time the Genesis jars directions say.

You could try it with a test limb

2 Likes

I use my kiln for fusing glass. A common program cycle goes something like this:

1200F for 30 minutes
500F for 60 minutes
2000F for 30 minutes
200F for 2 hours

Good idea. Maybe wet the towel?

1 Like

Most people set their Nuwaves outside or in a ventilated garage. Is this something that could be put out like that?

I guess, but it’s insulated. It could be set to 2000 degrees and still be cool to touch.

1 Like

I don’t know much about either one, do they both use fans?
I would think as long as the heat was even and could be controlled in the same way it could work.

Is there a window or some way to look inside? Because then you can program it and place an oven thermometer inside to check if the temperature stays even the entire time.

I would worry about vinyl fumes building up residue in your kiln unless you could wash it completely… :woman_shrugging:t2: My towels and stuff that I put in there have yellowed from build up and I get a film in the inside of my oven. The fumes of baking vinyl aren’t good to breath so if you could use it outside that would be safest

5 Likes

Yes, there is a window.

Hmmm, I really don’t want any residue build up. Thanks, I think I won’t chance using my kiln.

2 Likes

Yes I wouldn’t risk damaging your kiln!!!

2 Likes

That’s a good point. Some have mentioned their ovens being oily from baby baking.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone, this forum is the best!

2 Likes

Baby baking

:joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

:face_with_hand_over_mouth: Sounds cuter than “body parts in the oven”. How creepy. Lol

1 Like

I use a heat gun only on my dolls. Never had an issue. Never melted a doll. No shiny dolls. Paint stays.

1 Like

I hope that will be the case with me!