Just for money?

Is there anyone here who reborns who just does it for an income and not because they love the reborns or the art of it? I have always sort of figured that everyone who reborns does it because they loved reborns but I met a lady recently who has been reborning for over 5 years and does it strictly for the income…She doesn’t particularly care anything about the dolls themselves and said she has never been tempted to want to keep one??? Just thought that was very interesting. Never really thought of reborning as a job choice only with no ‘heartstirngs’ attached… :neutral_face:

8 Likes

Nope! Lol I don’t think I could work so hard on a thing I didn’t love.

4 Likes

I don’t collect the babies…but I don’t see how anyone could paint them without loving the ART of it!!!

THAT is my passion…I love seeing how they come right out of your brushes and take on
their own personality!!!

Who could say they make enough money to call it "income"
other than the top prototype artists anyway???

7 Likes

Hahahaha…that is so true…I will say she didn’t say it was her only income but that she did it for the extra income… I love making them and do make money but I just pour it all back into my kits and supplies…even if I don’t need them cause I love buying kits and baby clothes and all the other bits and pieces…lol

8 Likes

I could never sculpt for just the money…money is a nice bonus but I do it because I love it. But if I couldn’t sell my OOAKS at all I definitely wouldn’t be able to sculpt as much haha. I wouldn’t have enough money or space to make that many!

6 Likes

I’ve never sold one. Heehee. But if I did, I would do the exact same thing! My girls and I love them & shopping for baby stuff is so fun. :grinning::grinning::heartpulse:

7 Likes

No way I could do it for the money. I barely get enough out of my sales to keep from going in the red, I give away quite a few and on occasion when I do sale one for profit I always use the money to buy more kits and supplies :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Income? What is income? LOL I just enjoy the art form so much and have a few keepers that I just love. If there is any extra after all that we put into the supplies, then that is a plus.

10 Likes

LOL, Diane! I do it because I love babies!! An occasional sale is nice if I can part with them. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

I reborn because I love it and it’s good therapy for my depression. I have sold several, but now I like to keep the babies I make because I put so much of myself into creating them xx

6 Likes

Not me I love these babies and find it hard to let each one go.

7 Likes

I do it because I love art, babies and photography. Reborning is relaxing, and a creative outlet for me. I also love being able to gift babies as a type of therapy, or a way to show love. The money is a nice bonus when I sell a baby…

It seems like you have to be passionate about any art form to truly enjoy it.

6 Likes

If I didn’t do it for the love, I’d do something a heck of a lot faster and easier and easier to streamline. I love these little bubs and when I stop loving them, I will stop reborning…(NEVER!)

I also love your questions lately, Starr! I’m starting to think of it as Starr’s morning question. But I guess it’s not morning for you, is it? Well I see them about 6 or 7 a.m. most days so it is to me.

11 Likes

I wish I was making money (or my hubby does anyway). When I make a sale it goes back into supplies.

9 Likes

I’m very slow at it, by I just love seeing the babies come to life. I enjoy the challenge of getting better at it. I have given away more babies than I have sold. I have to say I lose money doing this, but gain a lot more in learning artistry and making new friends like you guys on the forum.

9 Likes

I hope no one goes into reborning thinking they are going to make any real money from it, because there are only a handful of awesome, well-known reborners who can do that. I’ve been reborning for 14 years and I do it because I love it ~ and so I can shop for baby clothes because I desperately need a grandchild but there are none in my near future. Reborning gives me something to focus on, or I guess I’d just spend every day in the stores, looking for baby clothes.

I need therapy. And chocolate.

10 Likes

I hear you. I am focused on the chocolate. LOL :chocolate_bar: :yum:

5 Likes

I do make a decent profit from it. However, i love to do it. I was a landscape painter and created folk art colonial pieces before this. If i did not create reborns, i definitely would have to have another creative outlet…just a part of me.
Im not a collector, but really sad that i did not keep a couple of my favorites. I could kick myself for not keeping a coco (blick), and my Irish Chloe (timmerman).

5 Likes

You make a decent profit because you’re one of those AWESOME reborners I was talking about! Your babies are gorgeous.

I love reborning, or I wouldn’t keep doing it. I, too, have been a crafter of some sort all my life, but reborning is the one thing that STUCK. Most other forms of art, I dabbled in and then moved on. Like candlewicking. LOL. I was candlewicking everything I could find there for about a year, then moved on to bargello needlepoint…needlepointed coasters, placemats…sets for everyone I knew.

Reborning and quilting are true loves that will probably never leave me.

8 Likes

@westernstarr I think this lady is not being honest with herself. There’s no way you can be good at this and NOT in someway be emotionally involved. I mean imagine painting a bowl of fruit and not thinking about how each piece of fruit smells, feels in your hand or even taste. I can understand not wanting to keep one or be a collector but you gotta know she feels something for the babies. I’d love to see some of her work. BTW we all know you cannot make a living Reborning.

6 Likes