Just for money?

For some reason I keep or give away more than I sale too, so obviously I am not in it for the money either, I just enjoy making these beautiful babies, I tend to make more girls then boys but I think that is because I missed out on having a girl.

Now I am working on my silicone sculpts and I plan to make them and with the price of supplies to make them, there is no way I can give them away but I do plan on keeping one of each that I make for myself. But even with selling them I will most likely only break even or have money for more supplies and thats it.

So no I am not in it for the money. I spend more than I make in sales. Itā€™s just a fun hobby for me.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve kept some, given some and sold most. I do supplement my income with them but If youā€™re just in it for the money, whereā€™s the fun? Then itā€™s just another job.

6 Likes

Haaa, i made the grungy candles for awhile. Still have all the materials. Colonial candle molds, all types of molds. Bags of beeswaxā€¦omg probably melted in storagešŸ˜£

3 Likes

Candlewickingā€™s a form of needlepoint, done with knots. I WANTED to make candles, but never got the chance :blush:

1 Like

Candlewicking is beautiful but it takes me forever to make all those French knots.

2 Likes

I didnā€™t think that was possible. The supplies cost so much. This is really a labor of love, with most artists making less than minimum wage.

4 Likes

Isnā€™t that the truth? I could never make enough for it to be my sole source of income.

4 Likes

I think it is very rare someone make reborns only for money ā€¦ Just a few people make good money on reborns ā€¦
This is my only income ( not couting my husbandā€™s lol) I do love make reborns but I do wish I could make more money though ā€¦
I think I spend more money in supplies than anything else ā€¦ Kits, hair , clothes ā€¦ I love buying this stuff too ā€¦ lol
IT is art ā€¦ I believe art is about passion ā€¦ If you donā€™t love it eventually You will stop doing it ā€¦

5 Likes

I must love it. I am 1000 times over in the red. :+1:t2:

9 Likes

Haaaa. Candleā€¦wickā€¦ just assumed it was a form of candle makingā€¦lol.
Did you ever do the old sampler patterns?? :heart::heart::heart::heart:

2 Likes

I REBORN because I am hopelessly in love with this artformā€¦now, I do sell almost all that I REBORNā€¦but would not ever do it just for the $$$ā€¦love it way too muchā€¦having a ball doing thisā€¦once I start one just canā€™t wait to see how it will lookā€¦!!.

4 Likes

Itā€™s less calories than chocolate and better for you than drinking. I drive to and from work in so much traffic everyday that I sometimes need stress relief when I get home. I find it relaxing if Iā€™m not having a problem baby. I started though because I have many granddaughters( some Iā€™ve adopted by heart ) I found that dolls today are not that pretty so I want to make them all one. By then Iā€™ll probably have great granddaughters.

8 Likes

A lot of the dolls today are just butt-ugly! IMO heehee

6 Likes

I never did a sampler pattern that I can recall, but I made some pillows. This is not my work, I never thought to even take any pictures of my work back in the 70ā€™s and 80ā€™s. I just GOOGLED candlewick and found these. Hmmmmmā€¦makes me remember how much I enjoyed it. :blush: Like I need just one more project! LOL

6 Likes

Nope. No money here! I have made 5, am currently working on number 6 and have sold none. I love painting them and seeing them come to life. I couldnt do it for the money.

2 Likes

I didnā€™t do candlewicking but absolutely love it. I love the texture.

4 Likes

Wow!! Love love love it!! Beautiful!!

3 Likes

Haha, no way am I making money! I love the art & fun. Bringing a doll to life is the kick I am looking for. I also get kinda sad when I have to ship a reborn off, then I stress until I know he or she has arrived safe.

3 Likes

I know what you meanā€¦the thought went through my head as well but she doesnā€™t keep any of her dolls and any that she has bought from others to see what they were doing to incorporate into her style, she has resold so I donā€™t knowā€¦I would not post her name or photos here because it was just a private convo so wouldnā€™t feel right to post thatā€¦(not sure that she would care one way or the other but just think it is good manners not to :smile:)

Heehee, Well I have been thinking lately that I have been talking to all you lovely ladies for quite a while now and that sort of lead me into wanting to get to know a bit more about everyone on a personal level. I think it is always a progressive step to get to know your ā€˜friendsā€™ betterā€¦I know I will probably never have the privilege of meeting most everyone face to face but was thinkingā€¦I love spending a nice portion of my day with these ladies hereā€¦what is it about them that makes me keep coming back to this forum as I have never been one for chats or blogsā€¦soā€¦me lil cogs started rolling and it sort of snowballed from thereā€¦hahahaha! I just think we have some amazing ladies here and hearing some of the stories just really shows why we are like we are and how things that have happened in our lives has made us who we areā€¦ :smile:

8 Likes

Beautiful ! Iā€™ve seen it but never knew what it was called !

3 Likes