I wanna start On Harper

Does he need to be neutralized? I haven’t decided if I wanna make him Caucasian or do the primary method.

2 Likes

I reborned him twice and didn’t feel like he needed to be neutralized; he’s one of those kits that seems to paint itself :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Great, thank you.

1 Like

I didn’t need to neutralize him and he comes to life so easily I agree with Karen!

2 Likes

I enjoyed painting him .

2 Likes

Thanks ladies

1 Like

He’s getting his bath. I’m trying the dishwasher method. I’m being lazy

1 Like

Couldn’t you make the Caucasian with the Primary Method? I was thinking you could make any skin tone in the world with that method.

3 Likes

I find I can make any skin tone with the primary method except for fair skin. Not sure how to do that. Anyone have any tips?

1 Like

I wish I could help you there. I have only made 2 with the Primary method. My first one was darker than I wanted by a good bit… but that was because I kept adding layers. Then, the 2nd one I did is darker than I like but not nearly so dark as the first one. I think the lady who teaches the primary method could help with that. I would guess one would just put the layers on until the skin was the correct color – but that is just my thought, I really don’t know.

3 Likes

Probably so

1 Like

Until you achieve the tone you want. I’ve only don’t the primary method once. Towards the end, I did burnt umber washes. Here she is.

5 Likes

I use the primary method, no flesh
bee9b26507947f49a1e3a2376b8762ae1f3fe54e_1_375x500

I start with red, then yellow, then blue. Watery washes. Repeat until skin tones are ok. If I want darker tones, I add burnt umber with a speck of blue and keep going. Mottled layers are red, purple, and green…yes, GREEN. :grinning:

However, the only AA babies I’ve made were using Carrie’s tutorial, @snuggle2me

7 Likes

Nice, thanks for sharing.

1 Like

You’re welcome! :heart:

Here are the Harpers that I painted:

6 Likes

Thank you for sharing, Karen. I have done three primary method babies now abd they get dark too fast for me. Do you ever use a touch of white in your washes? I want to achieve a healthy fair skin tone but either get death pale color or too dark with primary method alone.

I don’t use white, Angela, just watery washes, one right after the other. Sometimes I wonder if I’m EVER going to see any color at all because some of the kits are so pale to begin with. The mottle layers help a lot with that, too, though. That’s really when the skin starts looking alive to me. After the mottles, I will go back and if need be, do more washes, usually a red or blue ~ if still too pale, I’ll do a burnt umber with a speck of blue wash (to avoid getting an orange look) and that brings all the colors together nicely.

4 Likes

Karen, do you bake after each color?

This was the only one I did the primary method on. It took forever to get to this color. It was very blotchy at first also.

2 Likes

I bake after each wash has dried.

I don’t bake between mottle layers. I let each mottle layer dry, then apply the next.

3 Likes